Also feeling a little disheartened

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by TehOwn, August 18, 2015.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Aah yes because TA would never have released a paid expansion, this is a horrible new business strategy developed to split the community.

Aah wait, no, expansion packs are a long established business strategy (especially in RTS gaming) and TA had two (well one and a half). Honestly, I come back to the forums after a break and this is the first thread I see? In the current micro-transaction climate I would have thought a traditional expansion would be received well.
  2. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

Yup and the original C&C RA had 3 expansions(all C&C games have at least 1), soooo.....
    squishypon3, Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  3. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

*Cough*C&C4*Cough*

Oh wait, all C&C games. Duh.
    temeter and igncom1 like this.
  4. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

An entire post and at no point does it never bother to explain the subject. It should have been a content patch, because...?
  5. Going4Quests

Going4Quests Active Member

You can get Titans for about 10 euro now and get all content again. If Uber was EA or another money based company, there would have been about 10 DLC packs each costing 20-40 euro *if* the game was still being supported.
    MrTBSC, Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  6. ecervele

ecervele Member

Oh god, why does people can not connect to their steam account to see there is a 66% discount until the next sales... :(
    They can't get it at 12,58€, which a commun DLC price... :eek:

Life is so cruel... So much suffering inside my body... :oops:
    [​IMG]
    DAT INJUSTICE... :rolleyes:
  7. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

So that's the new mantra eh? It could be worse therefore it's all ok? They won't need to censor because we'll do it first voluntarily? Ethics are so 20th century? /smh

Yeah, I can't defend myself because I'll be banned for it. So continue exploiting the echo chamber and playing another round of kick the pleb.

Here's how it would play out.

I crush your replies, egos get bruised. I get banned citing TOS catch alls. Everyone congratulates themselves.

Strange game, the only winning move is not to play.

So none of you get individual replies.

They have essentially stolen PA from all the buyers. I can no longer buy vanilla PA and nor can anyone else. So my choice is now pay again or walk away.

This really is an innovative step in the race to the bottom.

This is nothing like a DLC or even a stand alone expansion because FA didn't delete vanilla SC. The TA expansions didn't delete TA. (And they were expansions, not stand alone.)

This is a sociology hack and a cash grab.

I leave the last words to you all. You'd have them anyway by any means necessary, especially with a mod and the an apparent owner of PAMM already hopping on the dog pile against any call for ethics in business. (Contradiction in terms I suppose if you have an objectivist view of commerce.)

Sad day for me, happy day for greed.

I'm 100% sure you're all proud of yourselves.
    teroteki and Planktum like this.
  8. pieman90

pieman90 Active Member

LEL expansions(or dlc for you non-RTS players) for PA if EA was in charge it would be a miracle if the servers were even ono_O
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. stuart98

You're more likely to get banned spouting bs about how you'd be banned for speaking out than you'd be if you actually just spoke out.

There is no owner of PAMM. Raevn, the original author of PAMM, has yet to say anything, Mereth, the author of the Atom-Shell port, hasn't been seen in months.

No one is using the "It could be worse argument". That's your own strawman that you've conjured up.
  10. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I don't understand. The old PA has in no way been deleted. You still have it. Everyone still has it. Owners of Titans have it.

Yes you cannot buy the old PA anymore. But what has that to do with stolen?
    Stolen would mean you have PA not anymore available after you bought it. But you have.
    You cannot BUY the old PA without the extension anymore.
    But you can still play the old PA if you own it. You can in fact play the old PA even if you are completely new to PA in general and just bought titans, because in the options of titans you can find an option to play "classic" PA which will start PA without titans.
  11. thetbc

thetbc Member

No I am not implying that I regularly buy triple A titles at all. I'm saying I'd get more from a triple A title for £40 than I have gotten from PA for £60.
    maskedcrash likes this.
  12. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Considering the responses you've gotten, you're being awfully abrasive, @bsergent. Why focus on the one or two antagonistic replies?

The fact that this thread was going so peacefully was why I didn't involve myself. So hey, let's take this a line at a time, shall we?

1. Your assumption about modding is an assumption. There is nothing to back it up. You've just made it up.

2. You can feel however you want to feel, however there are no "elites" and no "plebs". Only that which you're calling people - not a great start to a balanced thread.

3. If a forum post you disagree with renders any respect given null and void, I doubt that was respect that anyone could take to the bank. Actual respect goes beyond disagreeing with someone on a web forum. You can even respect people you're not fond of. Respect is a very complicated thing.

4. Equating defense of a popular games developer to domestic violence. Classy. And people wonder why domestic violence is trivialised (and thus goes unreported a lot of the time). People are using it to win Internet arguments about video games, of all things.

Developers have accountability. Ranting about them in a forum thread, however, is not the way to hold them to account. If you're actually being serious here, there are legal approaches such as a class action lawsuit that can be undertaken for less cost (compared to other legal options) to make it viable for consumers without hefty legal retainers.

5. Nobody in this thread has called you an "entitled parasite". You may want to provide links, so people can see what you're calling others. Context is key.

Inferring the developers completely lack ethics isn't very fair, either. It also demonstrates a lack of understanding of ethical business. By offering free copies of the game and an outstanding discount for a lot of other players, Uber are actually being rather ethical. By offering "Classic" PA within the TITANS platform, they are further preserving their original legacy, and offering players the most amount of choice imaginable.

6. Modders are not developers. Uber don't have to pay volunteers who make content in their spare time in order to rationalise paying their staff. Union representatives would have a field day with your suggestion.

There are also legal / distribution issues in paying modders for content. DotA 2 contributions, a an example, are heavily dependent on a EULA that gives up many rights to Valve as a holding company.

Your second post is a lot more ranty, so I don't feel it's worth my time to go through it.
  13. ecervele

ecervele Member

You only whine for that???

You know some gossip bashed up über for the opposite, without verifying what they were shouting about...

You can still play the classic PA with Titan, so I don't understand why you're making a fuss about that...

Right now, I can just say that:

[​IMG]
    stuart98 likes this.
  14. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

Good thing AAA titles are about £1,200 each these days. A bargain!

What does AAA even mean? Not always quality, that's for sure. They can be, but Your Mileage Will Vary.

EDIT:

Bugger, I posted this in the wrong thread. How in the heck did I manage that?
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

I understand the title. I partially agree with it. There ARE some things that should be carried back to vanilla, like balance changes and differentiation. There is no good reason for it not to carry back. New units are a bit of a fine line, orbital could use some more meat on the bone.

However, @bsergent, you seem to be actively hurting your position more than helping it. It isn't merely a black and white issue, but if you paint it as such, it becomes easy for people to discredit your argument without addressing your point, such as what ecervele is doing.
    ecervele and stuart98 like this.
  16. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

You know, the criticism might be more convincing if you loose less empty phrases and skimp a bit at the ignorance. Just screaming 'MUH ETHICS' or 'CENSORSHIP' won't make you a fighter for freedom, justice, or anthing else. Especially, when it's apparently such a trouble to actually write out anything reasonably. Death of modding because of legit illegal copyright abuse (aka stealing content from an addon and adding it into vanilla), seriously?
    Similarly throwing out an explanation how you are more farsighted than everyone else, the poor victim, combined with accusing others of narcissism, is nothing than public masturbation to your own ego.

All in all, I'm not exactly convinced.
    stuart98 and maskedcrash like this.
  17. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

Wait did two topics just merge? I mean recalling what they were it kinda makes sense but there's no notes of it.
    bsergent likes this.
  18. stuart98

Yeah, the other @bsergent thread was merged into this one.
    Gorbles likes this.
  19. ecervele

ecervele Member

It was exactly to show how ridiculous those "arguments" were.
    With a better rhetoric, it can be constructive, just as you do.
    Last edited: August 20, 2015
  20. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

You forgot to add "*mic drop*". Seriously, decent game, but not a CnC game at all.