Do premium steam buyers of PA get Titans?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by bradaz85, August 18, 2015.

1. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

The titan's being separate is acceptable. The extra units, including oribitals which the game needs so badly, is not.

Edit: Okay this is a bit extreme of a statement.

In all fairness, I'll still probably purchase the expansion, but it really isn't about the money at this point. It's about the sentiment behind the decisions. A lot of PA's development has been... not so positive towards the consumers. And some of things that we kinda need are bundled in the expansion- Multilayered terrain? That thing that is in every rts known to man? (Okay not every one but you get the point) Wasn't that promised from the very freaking beginning?
    Last edited: August 18, 2015
    ratsroloc likes this.
  2. maskedcrash

Actually screw it double post.

Here's what's in titans, literally copy-pasted from the announcement.

An interactive tutorial
    A host of new units
    EXPERIMENTAL TITANS!
    A wider variety of terrain, including multi-level features
    Balance changes and improved bot / vehicle differentiation
    Unit wreckage to reward defence
    New bounty game mode
    Better notifications and sound alerts
    Lots more improvements

Notice some issues? A lot of these are changes that SHOULD be ported over to the main game. Balance changes? Sign me up. Vehicle/Bot differentiation? Isn't that what we needed for the past how many months? An actual tutorial?
    Okay that one doesn't matter to me but it's not 'expansion' material.

Look, odds are I'll probably buys this cause I want this content. But I probably won't be completely satisfied because I'll be supporting Uber, who has lost a lot of my respect (Which I'm suuure they care about, but whatever /s). Look, titan's are nice expansion material, but to lock this **** behind a paywall- THAT is unacceptable. The units are debatable, the balance changes less so.
    ratsroloc and bradaz85 like this.
  3. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

q
    Infact, I think all but the new units should/needed to be ported over to vanilla PA. Tutorial, Terrain, Balance, New mode, better notifications.. All this was needed to better polish what has been a very long ongoing process to make PA the fully fledged game it was supposed to be.
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Personally I don't even think KS backers should have got it free. Discounted across the board for any owners. Would have avoided this whole whining drama. Anyway I'm extremely happy with Uber for doing this expansion. What a hail mary play to revive PA.
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  5. jables

jables Uber Employee

You can't do the new balance without the new units unfortunately. Tutorial makes use of the TITANS as well.

I'll try to explain it based on how we had to look at it. A lot of people won't care, and will just be upset they have to pay for the new content, but that's just something we have to do to pay bills. So bluntish explanation, so grain of salt please :)

We looked at it as, anything that goes beyond the KS pitch, is additional content that goes into TITANS. That additional content took many many months to create, all while continuing to update PA. We have to pay for that work and pay for those employees. Hence charging for the new content.
    sanyc, cdrkf, MrTBSC and 9 others like this.
  6. probodobodyne

probodobodyne Active Member

What? I thought game developers worked for free because they really really like computer games.
    MrTBSC, DeathByDenim, ace63 and 3 others like this.
  7. maskedcrash

Yeah, and I paid for a full game. Look, I get you have to eat, but come on, I'm asking for the stuff that was supposed to be in the main game. Heck, I've stopped caring about the new units. Sure, they look nice, but I can live without.

Look, I'm sorry if I came off as a bit confrontational. Things have not been going solid lately in my life but whatever. Straw that broke the camel's back, y'know?

All I intended to say is that some things were expected\promised\whatever in the main game. Some things did not come there but instead showed up in expansion. It is somewhat understandable that this might seem like a cash grab from a company that charged a large amount of money for an unfinished project, which is almost the opposite of what everyone else does.

It just feels like you've left the base game unfinished. And I realize that's a perspective thing but at the same time, with all the... nonsense, for lack of a better term that occurred during this games development (Human resources when PA was unfinished, releasing for no reason and while it was unfinished, etc.), you have created an oddly tolerant fanbase. A lot of the less patient fanbase has mostly left. Certainly some naysayers have stayed behind, and honestly I've kinda been on the fence. I enjoy GW but I was pretty much waiting until a patch fixed the games balance- Orbital is barebones, T2 vehicles are mostly just pumped up verisions of the originals... etc.

But this comes out and I'm just like... bleh.

I understand that you have to eat. I hope you understand that people paid you to deliver a finished product. Cause right now, I can't pay you for the rest of the product I bought. Not just on an ethical edge mind, but that's not the issue at hand.
    Last edited: August 19, 2015
  8. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Then, maybe someone. Not me I have my own projects to work on.
    But if someone really wants to get nitpicky about it, they can look up what the original KS promised, and compare it
    with what Titans offers.

Be fair, and don't just say extra stuff in titans should all be in the vanilla game.
    On the other hand, if there's something in the KS promises, that wasn't in vanilla, and it's being offered in Titans...
    I think that is an obvious problem.
  9. ghostflux

ghostflux Active Member

To be honest, I can fully understand they want to charge for this addon. No problems with that. But in my opinion from the list:
    • A wider variety of terrain, including multi-level features
    • Unit wreckage to reward defence
    These two should have been in the main game. Just my two cents. Especially the multi-terrain feature was something I considered a must-have in the original game for it to be far more interesting to play.

It's a shame that it'll cost us steam buyers(who paid 90 euros) even more money.
    Last edited: August 19, 2015
    maskedcrash likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

An update was pushed to the base game too, though I'm not sure exactly which features were in.
  11. Morloc

Morloc New Member

I believe the original concept had a wide variety of units to choose from. There were green Xerglings, red Xerglings, the always-fun blue Xerglings, and (I think) yellow? Xerglings. One of the locked stretch goals was for a purple Xergling.

"You need to understand sir, the apple-crisp will be extra.

When you ordered your cheeseburger, we didn't just give you a cheeseburger, we needed to continue to support it. Remember when you wanted the meat cooked?...that sort of thing doesn't just happen you know. You wanted ketchup and mustard and some onions. All of these added features were considerable setbacks to our team who labored without complaint to meet your demands...and let's not forget the cheese incident.

While yes, you may have ordered a "cheeseburger", the wild assumption that it would necessarily be provided with cheese...on the burger was, let's face it, wishful thinking. Never let it be said we won't fall on a sword to please a customer though...though you ignored our suggestion to purchase a tuna melt, a very special sandwich mind-you, fixed by ancient gods and killer robots...but no, you wanted a cheeseburger....with cheese....melted...on top, and dammit, we did it for you. You didn't want blue cheese? Did you actually say you didn't want blue cheese?? How ungrateful!"

-Morloc
    ratsroloc, sauceboss and maskedcrash like this.
  12. karnaloth

karnaloth New Member

I paid 250 dollars and didn't even get it for free lol.
  13. jvahe

jvahe New Member

I regret two things:
    1. Buying Google Glass
    2. Buying the $250 Galactic Edition with the physical goods that still have not arrived
    It's bad enough already, but this feels like a sucker punch. Everything seemed to just be overly hyped since pre-alpha. The game was a bit of a letdown. The micro transactions was terrible, even if they are only cosmetic. This "expansion pack" even more so. I remember when it was claimed that the community was building this game.
    At least there's Halo Wars 2 to look forward to.
  14. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I can't think of a single reason why the commander micro transactions are bad.

pros:
    • Optional
    • Cosmetic
    • Supports the devs
    • Promised for high tier Kickstarter backers
    • Larger variety in commanders
    • A fun kickstarter reward
    cons:

probodobodyne likes this.
  15. X39

X39 New Member

The entire problem and new hatewave that comes now has one root cause:
    ALL kickstarter backers get it for free

great decision UBER
    thinking for two seconds should have showed you that such decisions will cause hate and thats what you get now

its not even possible as somebody who bought it when it went live on steam EA to defend the game against those who just hate it for "not finished blablabla" simply because im not interested anymore in defending somebody who upsets me and fools a hell lot of its userbase

feel free to bring up proper arguments which are not complete nonsense to me why i am not worth gaining free access like those 30695 who payed less then i did
    feel free to tell me why i should have got a credit card just for the purpose of backing stuff on kickstarter

ohh you cant?
    well
    congrats
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

you didn't help making the game possible in the first place ...
    the money that went into the ks mattered more than the money gained through ea .
  17. maskedcrash

I dunno, they burned through the KS money pretty quickly. Let's not discredit EA, as without there's a pretty solid chance this game would fall flat on it's face.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

i am not discrediting it...
    thing is there is a difference between someone starving and someone being merely hungry .... human resources died of starvation ...
  19. jvahe

jvahe New Member

I can see why it is good, but it gives the game a huge freemium feel. Combined with the other decisions of Uberent, this has been a huge letdown.

As a general comment, I don't want to be sold the same game, especially not before I get the rest of what I paid for.

I forgot to mention that one game that used PA's engine before the game was finished that looked better than PA at the time in my earlier comment as one of the let downs.
  20. X39

X39 New Member

ohhh did it?
    http://steamspy.com/app/233250
    800k users owning PA
    assuming that at least the half bought it not in a sale still leaves us with 400k who paid 30$ or more

saying "EA does not matters so its fair that kickstarter got it for free" is like saying "its ok that we are eating so much food, they could also produce that much in 3rd world countries"
    as you see its simply nonsense