Also feeling a little disheartened

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by TehOwn, August 18, 2015.

1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I can give you a couple of reasons for this:
    • These are the Official forums - the space that Uber curates to facilitate discussion of their games. It makes sense that they'd devote more of their attention here.
    • There's a code of conduct here, with reasonably enforceable rules, and a dedicated moderator team who make sure that discussion is civil. Steam forums simply don't have that - you can say as you please then disappear without consequence.
    • There is literally no barrier to entry on Steam forums. You can make a dummy Steam account, write drivel and flee. New users on the Uber forums must have posts approved unless they have a game key tied to their account. So people here are invested - if they're not they're much more heavily monitored.
    Simply put, the Steam forums are a horrible place which I and any other sensible person avoid like the plague.
    stuart98, MrTBSC, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  2. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

Forget drone carriers (although I'm sooooo looking forwards to go full kaiju!), the new orbital warfare is effing amazing! It's actually kinda tough to deal with a large numbers of AI units on a gas giant now, since you actually have too look after your units and check compositions.
    Last edited: August 19, 2015
    cdrkf likes this.
  3. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Yeah the AI orbital swarmed the **** out of me last night. Wasn't expecting that!
    cdrkf, jables and temeter like this.
  4. Balto009

Balto009 New Member

I usually don’t really do posts like these, but in this case i really think that it's necessary that the subject gets as much attention as possible.

I really, and I mean really dislike the way that Uber entertainment is releasing their new game as a "Standalone expansion" - Uber Entertainment. I think the marketing of this game is downright wrong as I, and many others have put our hearts into this game, supporting the vanilla release, many paying an extensive amount of money for the Kickstarter project. They take the exact same game as we've all supported and basically steals it and changes a few things to demand us paying even more money.

For all this dedication and money the community put into getting this game made, all we get is 'excuse my language' but piss in the face.

If we compare this game to stocks fx we all have a minor share as we helped back up the project from the start. Then imagine if the company handing out those stocks shuts down, takes the idea and the machines and start up a new company for all the money that the stockholders put into the company. Basically ripping the stock holders off, in the real world, that would be upright illegal.

I know my comparison was kind of a longshot; however the morale of the story is the same.

Feel free to comment my opinions as I might just be butt hurt, but I think we should put some light on the subject.
    (Lastly, excuse my bad English, Danes are definitely not known for good grammar nor are the know for good spelling)
    kalherine likes this.
  5. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

I backed the Kickstarter and all I got was **** tons of free updates maybe I should complain too
    MrTBSC, cdrkf, philoscience and 5 others like this.
  6. xanoxis

xanoxis Active Member

Uh, if you "supported" PA you got Titans for free. What is the problem? And anyone who bought PA before expansion launched got discount.
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. thetbc

thetbc Member

Honestly I do feel cheated by Uber, this is very money-grab-esque and I feel wouldn't have happened if the base game got better reviews by being more complete, sold better on steam and therefore didn't have to go on special offer multiple times to try to build up a player base and make money for Uber. If the sales didn't occur and the game got better reviews because it was complete and bug free on release Titans would be free. Basically I'm just annoyed that Titans isn't a free expansion because I want to play but don't want to have ended up paying £70 for a game that isn't even a triple A title.
    bradaz85 and maskedcrash like this.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Okay the light is this:

- Kickstarter backers get the game for free
    - Existing owners of the game get it for 13€. This has been a bit unlucky for early access buyers, but it is what it is.
    - Everyone else buys titans for a few € more than they would have had to pay for PA classic.

Titans is basically an addon if you look at the price level. Players who own titans btw can also play classic games with players who do not own titans easily.

The reason to make a standalone addon stems from the fact that PA over the last year alone had so many updates that a fresh start in terms of reviews will be a good thing. If you look up a review about PA from a year ago it'll tell you that the game is online only and has no savegames. Both of these things have been fixed many month ago, and that's the tip of the iceberg.

Lastly in the end Uber needs to find new income sources to continue support PA. Even if you supported the game with high amounts of money early on that money is not lasting forever and is not going to pay endless amounts of free contents. So Uber only had two choices:
    A) Make new paid content in what has been around since ages as "addon".
    B) stop working on PA completely and do some other game

I am sure we're all happy Uber chose A.
    daTomas and cdrkf like this.
  9. Studmunky

Studmunky New Member

I agree. PA is not in a state to be having standalone expansions released for it. I do not think this was a good move in anyway despite what any of the people paid to say its a good idea say. Why were they working on this when PA is still so buggy and pretty unpolished? No bueno.
    bradaz85 and maskedcrash like this.
  10. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I got a comparison for you, you buy an iphone, 1 year later they release a new iphone one that looks the same on the outside by has new features, should you get the new iphone for free? because well you supported the company by buying original iphone, this one is basically the same right? despite it have improved parts more engineering etc. Infact why not demand all future iphones, for free because well you brought the first iphone?
    cdrkf likes this.
  11. Bsport

Bsport Well-Known Member

I disagree, I think PA was in a good place and needed a expansion. Despite what any of the people who who are butt hurt because they want free stuff forever.
    MrTBSC and cdrkf like this.
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

it's better than triple A titles
  13. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

What do you think EA would do?
  14. jables

jables Uber Employee

Not so close to launch. I'm not even 100% steam allows it so close to launch.
    Remy561, cdrkf and websterx01 like this.
  15. jables

jables Uber Employee

I believe you can, but it'd be a bad idea.
  16. eagle722

eagle722 Member

Read the title... Good you read it? Now I continue.

This is because of this very little difference between being a backer of the EA through Kickstarter or being a backer through Steam that it is making me... sad... lonely and even making me feel the loneliness of not having the chocolate I was promised even if I bought a part of the chocolate beans to make that delicious looking chocolate.

Now, now, lots of people have been here before me saying the same thing as me, now you can ignore me or you can say that I took the time to connect and leave that message to say I am sad... So it's pretty big deal for me because I never complain about a game and always try to find good sides (I mean, in the beginning I couldn't play PA so I put a bad review but it was a bad review looking toward the positive! Full of hope, passion and fluffy feelings in the heart for the potential updates who would come to correct the mistakes!).
    After updates, I enjoyed the game veeeeeeeeerry much! :D Loved to play it offline, save and no crash or slowing down... even if the AI was kinda stupid and making all my units be blocked into each other like a cork on a highway.

Now, I want to talk the real deal, the other reason I am here. I don't write only to complain, I write to bring awareness and put my bright ideas to enhance this great game!

In few simple english words (I am sorry btw, I am not even english so sorry for mistakes) :

- Make the DLC, expansion WHATEVER, free for early backers. Those who spent the money to make you able to make this game of splendeur! This avant gardiste game which EVERYONE want to see grow even more!
    - Oh, and, second idea, when you make another DLC, please make it BIG! Not just a tiny update with money on it. Like factions, story, lava canon or diplomacy simulator and brownie party! I don't know you are the devs I trust you, we are the community and we are here to play the game we paid for but if you make it more UBER EPIC! Well do so and we will tell... but as your community if something is wrong or bad (as we judge... but we are only poor mortals sooo we don't really know bad or good because we will never know all of the past and we will not foresee the future... at least not you random reader).

YES I HAVE FIRE IN MY HEART! AND I WANT IT TO BURN THROUGH ALL OF YOU TO SUPPORT THIS GAME!
    Give the gamers and this game a second chance by making it available to the worthy and not only to the Kickstarter!
    Uber-Kenobi, you are our only hope!
    maskedcrash likes this.
  17. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Wait wait. You are implying you regularly buy "triple-A titles" and are complaining about not getting your money's worth?!?
    Oh boy...
  18. bsergent

bsergent Active Member

Also this will spell the end of modding because they'll have to prevent us somehow from modding vanilla to include the titans units and features.

I feel betrayed and I strongly dislike the obvious and effective attempt to divide the community right down the middle into plebs and elites based on who paid Uber more.

I've already seen comments from people I previously respected that rendered such respect past tense.

Defense of this behavior is just more proof that devs have no accountability and that no matter what any developer or group of, chooses to do, some one will defend them like a battered wife convinced she was asking for it.

I'm tired of being called an entitled parasite because I demand some semblance of ethics in business.

And don't tell me they deserve to be paid because work. I don't see you asking uber to pay the better modders. (I'm quick to add my mods are not that class.)

This just breaks my heart. I feel like TA's legacy died today.
    sierra159 and maskedcrash like this.
  19. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

They won't have to do anything because I and other users will remove any mods that add Titans content to vanilla from PAMM. Uber doesn't need to do anything.

It was more or less either Uber wind down work on PA because free updates weren't netting them enough money and they make a new game or they keep working on PA by releasing a paid update to generate more revenue. I'd much prefer the latter option personally.
    Remy561, daTomas, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  20. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

You probably read the discussions and by now know all the arguments already, but two things:

1.) I am very certain that titans will not be "the end of modding".
    2.) What happens you a company tries to get payment for Modders can be seen in the attempt that steam did in the past. Wasn't pretty. We modders in PA all don't live from what we mod. Uber does ;)

Sorry too lose you over this.

Maybe one day in the future when Uber has even more polished PA Titans and the game is even better than it is already (it's pretty damn good by now) you'll come back and have some fun with it.