Also feeling a little disheartened

Discussion in 'PA: TITANS: General Discussion' started by TehOwn, August 18, 2015.

1. TehOwn

TehOwn Member

Barely missed the Kickstarter and bought it as soon as possible. Felt much like a "slacker backer" kind of thing going on then.

Now I paid twice as much as the KS backers for the same package, only 1 month later and now I'm being offered a DLC (which seems to largely contain things the core game should have) for £10.

I really love your guys work and I know that you need to fund development and I'll happily recommend the game if it feels like a finished product now. But I feel a little let down.

Typically I'd have waited for the game to come out and bought it then but I paid the extra because I wanted to support the development.

Can you sell me on the DLC or give me some hope for a better deal than this?
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

The expansion pack certainly is worth the 10 pounds.
    Consider this the forged alliance of Planetary Annihilation.

I can remember I had to pay 30€ for FA...
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Thank you for being a little more reasonable about this that some. I think in fairness to Uber this represents quite a lot of work and they need to get some money in for it.

I mean, they have to set a cut off date somewhere- if they give it to $90 steam early access players, what about those who joined just after who paid $70, if they give it to them, what about those who paid $60 and so on...

The only way everyone would be happy is if this was a free patch to PA and that doesn't strike me as reasonable.
  4. nutterboy

nutterboy Member

I don't think I'd have a problem if everyone had to pay for the expansion, its the fact that supporting Uber so close to the Kickstarter (9 days for me) it now feels like the DLC is being taken away from us, ~90$ to support them as much as I could, I feel pretty shitty for not getting the expansion now.

So yeah for me its not the fact that the expansion pack is being offered for free to Backers, its that it cuts out a lot of people who supported the game in its early stages paying way more than needed so that they could get their hands on the game quickly.

Probably not going to get the expansion now, makes me feel like ****.
    bradaz85 likes this.
  5. cdrkf

Did you donate via Paypall around the campaign then? You might get it I think, not sure...
  6. knub23

knub23 Active Member

It is easier than you want it to be: Who paid the same as the kickstarter backers, gets the same deal now (we already were excluded from kickstarter rewards). Done. Reasoning behind the steam pricing back then was: "We care about our backers." What is the reasoning behind excluding the people who paid so much via steam?
    elkanfirst, Sparky134 and bradaz85 like this.
  7. cdrkf

Well not all Kickstarter backers paid the same. Alpha level kickstarter backers paid $90+ dollars. Beta level paid $50+, people who only got the game for when it was released paid $20 I think. It's not such an easy distinction to make on that basis.
  8. knub23

knub23 Active Member

And all these backers now get Titans?
  9. bradaz85

bradaz85 Active Member

elkanfirst likes this.
  10. cdrkf

From what I can tell *all* kickstarter backers have been given the game.
  11. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Please, no really please, not that sort of thread again o_O
    I pledged 250$, should i ask for additional keys ??????o_O
    Please stop this. I understand your frustration, but please, no.
    varothegod, EdWood and Gorbles like this.
  12. cola_colin

I recommend you don't look at the steam forums. People feel entitled to free addons these days.
    pieman2906, Zenotheory, Nicb1 and 4 others like this.
  13. TehOwn

TehOwn Member

I'm not entirely sure, I bought it immediately after I noticed I'd missed the Kickstarter (by about 3 days >_<) and for some reason it only got added to my account by 30th October but that was still within a month. I did get it directly from Uber. I believe the term "Backer" was used.

I've not seen what they've changed in the base game yet, I know I just downloaded a 1GB patch but I still feel like I paid a bit much for what I got. Obviously if RTS games had a wider audience then they'd have had the funds to make it a more polished game but this is the gaming environment we live in.
  14. cola_colin

For me that 1GB patch was titans. Verify in your launcher again and check if it applied. Maybe you even got titans xD
    Otherwise I wonder what is in a 1gb patch for vanilla.
  15. knub23

knub23 Active Member

Wow. Well that basically means my decision is: I don't buy this expansion. I already paid 83€ for the game and supported it through early access, went along with the decision of the high pricing then. Thanks for not caring about me Uber. And thanks to the community members here for calling me entitled and defending this.
    orici and bradaz85 like this.
  16. cdrkf

**** dude calm down. My main thought is that *as a kickstarter backer* I would have no problem buying Titans for £10. That is why I'm 'defending' it. Maybe Uber shouldn't have given KS backers it free? I dunno, strikes me they were trying to do something nice for the community and it backfired on them (again) lol.
    Quitch likes this.
  17. maskedcrash

maskedcrash Active Member

Please do not throw around the word entitled. It makes you look a little elitist, and I know that's not the case.
    Well okay you can use it but don't misuse it. And while steam forums can be/are really whiny, there are some valid points there. Paying the same amount as the kickstarters but not receiving this expansion? Tough luck, it would seem.

I guess I just think that this actually is what the game needs to be considered 'finished' in my eyes, and it's bloody DLC. That irks me to a somewhat unreasonable degree.
    knub23 and bradaz85 like this.
  18. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I think I just answered my own question: if you aren't on steam, you'll download the files, and the expansion is available in the armory once you log in. Not sure how offline will play out though.
  19. cola_colin

okay maybe I generalized a bit.
    I fully can understand that people who paid 90$ on steam early access are not very happy. Though then again personally I would not care one bit and throw money at uber. 14$ for an addon is a pretty good deal. Like the happiness that PA gets continued support should heavily outweight 14$.

The people I was aiming at where people in the steam forums who went "I had to pay like 20$ for the base game and now you ask me to pay 14$ more for an addon? HOW DARE YOU"....
  20. Gorbles

Gorbles Post Master General

I get that people might be bummed, but the amount of work here that Uber are offering at a discount straightaway (nevermind future Steam sales) is incredible.

Sure looks like it! Updated launcher, as well:

[​IMG]
    cdrkf likes this.