Crash on Fedora 22 (Steam version)

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by zaidka, July 17, 2015.

1. zaidka

zaidka New Member

After installing the game for the first time, it worked. But then with subsequent runs the game crashes as soon as I start it and I get this crash report: crashes.uberent.com/report/index/4d591695-4c6b-438d-b904-c8ab72150717. Any ideas?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Judging from the crash report, it seems one of the shaders is causing a crash in the Intel driver somehow. Can you upload the PA log with that crash? You can find those in "~/.local/Uber Entertainment/Planetary Annihilation/log". Though that's probably where you got the crash URL from already. You can upload it to this forum with the "Upload a File" button here.
  3. zaidka

zaidka New Member

Log file attached.

This time it game a different crash report URL: crashes.uberent.com/report/index/064b965f-eeb6-48d3-957b-2922e2150718. But it looks to be similar to the previous one.

There's also the dump file. Let me know if that can help.

Attached Files:

4. DeathByDenim

Yeah, it indeed does look like the same crash. The PA log is odd though. It seems prematurely cut off. Unless of course that's where it's crashing...
    As a test, can you try going to <PA Install Dir>/media/shaders? There is a file called misc.json there. Rename that to misc.json.bak and create a new misc.json containing only:
    Code:
    {
      "effects": [
      ]
    }

That will prevent PA from loading any of those shaders. That does mean that PA will start up with a black screen, but I am wondering if that stops the crashing. If it does, then it means it's indeed one of those shaders causing a crash.
  5. zaidka

zaidka New Member

The log file is complete.

I tried your suggestion and the game is indeed running. I see black screen but there's sound and the mouse cursor is visible.
  6. DeathByDenim

Good, that means it's narrowed down somewhat and it's indeed one of the shaders that are in the misc.json file. Now, when you run PA with --software-ui, do you get the following error in the log?
    Code:
    [03:41:50.036] INFO Error! Failed to find effect solid_unlit_transparent_nohdr
    If so, can you try replacing misc.json with the attached file? It's a modified version of misc.json, with the shaders removed from only the "solid_unlit_transparent_nohdr" effect. Do you see the PA's main menu then? (Still with --software-ui),

Attached Files:

7. zaidka

zaidka New Member

I don't see that error line when running with --software-ui. I tried replacing misc.json anyway but it's all the same.
  8. DeathByDenim

Hmm, does it show any other error? It should complain about something at least. Can you post a log of a run with PA with the empty json? Well, empty as in having just the empty "effects" variable.

By the way, with the modified misc.json it still crashed, right?
  9. zaidka

zaidka New Member

Yes, with the modified misc.json it still crashes. Two log files are attached:

- PA-2015-07-19_142249.txt: using misct.json with empty "effects" variable
    - PA-2015-07-19_142444.txt: using your modified misc.json and --software-ui flag

Attached Files:

10. zaidka

zaidka New Member

So it appears you're out of ideas and the devs won't bother. Thanks for trying, but as said in my reddit comment I wasn't really holding my breath. I'll just say that out of the 73 games I have that claim to support Linux, this is about the only one that doesn't really work.
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I've forwarded the crash reports to the team for review.
  12. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Out of curiosity, are you able to update your graphics driver?
  13. DeathByDenim

Nope, not out of ideas yet. :)
    I was just travelling back home from a different continent and trying to catch up on stuff now. My plan was to turn off all of the shaders in the misc.json file (the *.vs entries) and see if that stops the crashing. If it does, then turn them back on one-by-one until it starts crashing again. It takes a bit of testing it on my PA install to see what the effects would be for a known working configuration, but I haven't gotten round to it yet.

I suspect it's a bug inside the graphics driver for a particular shader program though as that is what the crash report points to (as I read it). If we can figure out which shader is crashing PA then we could maybe turn that particular effect off and hopefully not notice much graphics-wise. I'm still on the older Mesa 10.1 stuff that comes with the stock Ubuntu 14.04 drivers too. You seem to be on 10.6.1 already. I've been meaning to test that as well.
  14. zaidka

zaidka New Member

mkrater, I'm on Fedora 22 so I assume the latest Intel drivers are already installed.

DeathByDenim, I actually don't remember it ever working on Intel GPU. IIRC, I have tried it on Fedora 20 and 21 before so I don't think it's a bug in this particular version of the driver.
  15. DeathByDenim

I just went over the PA log for the empty misc.json again and I found a difference with the logs I am producing on the Intel HD4000. You seem to have the following lines in there:
    Code:
    [14:22:53.141] INFO [COUI] PID: 16540 | 16557 11:22:53.137694 [16540:16557:WARNING:gpu_process_host.cc(483)] GPU process crash detected!
    [14:22:53.142] INFO [COUI] PID: 16540 | 16557 11:22:53.137736 [16540:16557:ERROR:gpu_process_host.cc(511)] GPU process crash limit reached! Rendering will stop on all hardware accelerated pages!

So that's interesting. Maybe that can give a hint to Uber as it contains the exact point of crashing in their code (@mkrater ).

Also, you said that the very first time after installation the game worked, right? So could you try going to the directory ~/.local/Uber Entertainment and rename the directory "Planetary Annihilation" to "Planetary Annihilation.bak" there. The next time you then start PA, it should begin with a completely blank configuration. Does it work then? If it does, can you immediately go to settings and under graphics, use the preset "low"? That will turn off the more demanding effects. If you then save the settings and close PA. Does it run the second time without crashing?
  16. zaidka

zaidka New Member

The last time I tried deleting the game from Steam as well as deleting the local config files and it worked. Deleting only the local config doesn't seem to help.

I tried removing the effects from the config file one by one to pin point the problematic one and found that it's "skinned_solid_unlit". The game worked after removing that but didn't have any noticeable rendering issue. Well, apart from the non-transparent (black border) green dots in game (metal indicators?). But I remember that was there before this change (when it worked the first time).
    dom314 likes this.
  17. zaidka

zaidka New Member

@DeathByDenim, I noticed that the errors you pointed out also appear when the game works after removing that entry from misc.json.
  18. DeathByDenim

Wow, that's impressive that you pinpointed the offending effect so fast. Though I'll be curious to know what is still causing the GPU process crashes. Hopefully the devs can make sense of that one. I think the error may originates from the Coherent UI itself, which is the library that Uber uses to draw the UI. I say that purely based on the file extension of ".cc" instead of ".cpp", which is what Uber normally uses. Maybe @johncoh has an idea about that one, behind a Coherent Labs dev.

About the black squares behind the green metal indicators, do they appear both with and without --software-ui? It may just be a result of the GPU process crash though.

Odd that you need to delete the game from Steam completely... Normally just nuking the config is enough to get back to a clean state. I have no idea what could cause that.
  19. johncoh

johncoh New Member

Hello DeathByDenim and zaidka.

From the crashes you posted, I didn't see anything to suggest that Coherent UI is behaving abnormally or crashes. If you have additional logs that point to such a thing, please submit them :)
  20. zaidka

zaidka New Member

@DeathByDenim, that's with --software-ui. Without that flag I can't run the game because everything is black. Also it's not only the metal dots, but sometimes even the UI shows non-transparent black backgrounds. One time I started the game in window mode and the metal indicators were rendering properly. I restarted and they were black again. It's completely random.

@johncoh, tell me what logs you need and I'll submit them.