Allowing to showcase mods on ModDB

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by MrTBSC, July 6, 2015.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

visited the site a couple of times and while there is a PApage that page does not show any mods at all
    why exactly is that?

http://www.moddb.com/games/planetary-annihilation

Both the community and uber would do good to allow to/spread the information of existing mods and actual modability

the other question of course is, is moddb realy that good a site to showcase mods as in how well a visited site is it?

the reason i am asking this is to spread the information for realy usefull mods like f.e.
    PAstats and its chatfunction or simply PAMM so people can know that PA is modifyable
    with content people may consider missing in the maingame ...
  2. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

I visit moddb rather often, and have seen many other people do the same.

Exposure is always good.
    Nicb1 and MrTBSC like this.
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I never visit that page, I guess most PA modders are like that and that's why that page is empty.

EDIT:
    Now I made an account, but adding a mod would mean I first need to add PA as a game that can have mods are something. Dunno how that all works.... too lazy.
    Somebody should just add pamm as the one and only "mod" over there.
    Last edited: July 6, 2015
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Uber needs to enable mods for it.

@jables @mkrater Would you please look into doing this?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  5. cola_colin

Why should they need to take care of that kind of thing? From all I saw there is a button to register a game, there was forms about it. I just was too lazy to enter it because they want so much data about it, but I didn't see "the devs need to do it" and considering their list of games is endless big I doubt every game developer has put their game there. Their collection would be a LOT smaller if they would require devs to do it. So somebody just need to somehow register PA with the page.

It can't be the developers responsibility to take care of some fan made wiki-like page.
  6. stuart98

Registering a game is adding it to the games database, not making it allow mod listings.
  7. cola_colin

Don't think so when I tried to add a mod and it didn't list PA it made me go to a "register game" page. I quit there because it wanted so much info, but I it didn't read like "you need to add the game you made yourself".
    If it is like that then somebody should find the link to the exact link to the register form the devs need so Uber does not need to search the page for that.
    Though again it seems *really* weird if it really requires devs to register their games. Their list of games was endless big, I seriously doubt that many devs would care about that kind of page, so there has to be a way to make the site allow adding mods for arbitrary games.
    How would moddb even check the person going there and adding a game is from the games company?

EDIT:
    Hmm okay reading through all that stuff it seems to add a game (but PA already has been added, though it magically is not listed as a game with mods, I wonder if adding it as a game with mods would create a duplicate) requires to enter a company and the company apparently should have members. Do they really expect developers to add their games on the page and be active on it? Though Uber is linked with PA. So does Uber have an account on that page?
    The page really is weird.

@jables is that company group controlled by somebody at Uber? http://www.moddb.com/company/uber-entertainment
    It seems ooo27 is indeed part of the group. http://www.moddb.com/company/uber-entertainment/members
    Though I think galaxy is not, if I remember correctly at least, so the company was created by somebody other than Uber.
    @galaxy366 do you still read this forums?
    Last edited: July 6, 2015
  8. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I've pm'd the moddb page maintainers a while back but they were last on 2013-2014 and are not associated with uber.

I've also made multiple threads here and 2 weeks ago pm'd a few uber devs directly and have yet to recieve a reply.
    Last edited: July 7, 2015
  9. Crembels

Crembels Member

Nicb1 and stuart98 like this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I've always found it a mystery as to why a site literally called Mod DB would need a page to enable the registering of mods. Isn't that the function of your damn site?
    Nicb1 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

Maybe just contact moddb and tell them to fix their site?
    I mean the other alternative is to create a duplicate entry for PA and that clearly isnt what moddb wants.
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  12. Nicb1

Ooh nice. Glad to hear you got a reply on the issue.

We won't be able to get through to the admins so it is likely that someone will have to directly contact moddb to discuss the issue with them.

EDIT:
    Just realised that Cola_Colin said a similar thing above.
    Last edited: July 7, 2015
  13. MrTBSC

well THAT sucks ... hopefully moddb gets that solved quickly ...
  14. Crembels

Crembels Member

Me and @nicb1 discussed it in chat recently and we felt it best that @stuart98 should be the one to message the Moddb admins and get the page ownership transferred to him.

We figured that with his oversight over PAMM, Mod experience for this game and general upstanding member of the community shindig they would see him as a reasonable candidate to receive admin rights.
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. Nicb1

That is if Stuart is good with this.

I would pm moddb myself about the issue, but it is better to have someone more involved in managing or helping with various aspects of the modding community here contact them instead.
    stuart98 likes this.
  16. stuart98

I'll see about doing it at my earliest opportunity.
    Heizmeister and Crembels like this.
  17. stuart98

Looks like we can post mods now. Everything else is still locked from community content ATM. Contacting them about taking care of that.
    MrTBSC, mkrater, Nicb1 and 1 other person like this.
  18. Nicb1

Thanks for looking into this Stuart. Happy that the moddb page is finally getting somewhere. If you need any assistance with anything regarding the moddb page in the future let me know as I'd be happy to help.
    mkrater likes this.
  19. MrTBSC

nice job!
  20. stuart98

So their contact page states that emails requiring a response will get one within 48 hours, but it took them 17 days to reply with this [expletive]:
    Still working on getting this thing fixed.