Alpha's particle effect workshop

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by Alpha2546, March 29, 2015.

1. dom314

dom314 Post Master General

Glad you like it! Some thoughts:
    Okay, so would you prefer if the rings start small then slowly spread out? Or would you rather the rings start small, increase a little in size, and then go smaller again?

I think there may be a bit too much rings, make the rings less frequent?
    MrTBSC likes this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

hard to say .. i would say make them less frequent but not by much ..
    as for the rings start small and increase a bit then disappear
  3. dom314

Smaller rings:

Even smaller at start, then expand over time:

I actually found it pretty difficult to make it look nice in my opinion, but there you go!
    ace63, Alpha2546, cdrkf and 1 other person like this.
  4. MrTBSC

second video version is MUCH better
    and it looks definetively nice :)
    dom314 likes this.
  5. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

Personally I prefer Alphas mod better. The rings are too much!
    dom314 likes this.
  6. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

• Yeah I still need to change the muzzle flashes on all the units that I have changed but that'll need me my photoshop skills. I'll do that whenever I feel like doing it or got a really cool idea.
    • Hmm I don't know about the tail making thicker. I do like how it has those sleek lines now. Also I think that when you add the ring effect that it'll create that extra umpf. Also you get that feeling when it actually hits something.
    • The leveler hit effect is actually something interesting that I came up with with a twitch viewer. The idea is to have some kind of anti matter explosion (thats why you see particles moving inwards towards the explosion). I agree its big but not because of the splash damage but to actually communicate the power that one shell has when it hits. And I think thats something you can see in your alpha leveler effect video :) .
    I agree rings start small go a bit bigger and going small again.

Can I have the files :oops:. I want to fiddle too a bit. Right now it looks a bit weird because of the random lifetime. I think they only need to show at the beginning (where the tail is bright).

Good stuff with the circular texture. Didn't think about it.
  7. dom314

Attached Files:

Alpha2546 likes this.
  8. dom314

Hey @Alpha2546, I was wondering, what do I have to do to make my laser effect mod compatible with your explosion mod? It just seems likely people would combine the two. :)
  9. Alpha2546

Haven't had time to look it up yet but it should be easily possible. The only ones that will interfere are the naval cplosions and de cplosion for shellers (I think and which cant be fixed).

I'll look it up but I think you need to heighten the priority in PAMM ( you can't have 2 different explosions for one shell :p ).
    dom314 likes this.
  10. dom314

Okay, well my mod changes the sheller ammo /events/died/effect_spec to point to my own effect which is under /mod/blah. Does yours shadow the explosion effect directly? Or do you shadow the ammo file as well?
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  11. Alpha2546

I'm sorry but I made a mistake. I meant the pelter and holkins effects are altered instead of the sheller effect.

I have all the effects linked to the effects/specs folder. The ones that conflict are the naval CPlosions and pelter and holkins effect.

So the pelter effect is linked through the artillery_short_ammo.json files. It links to effects/specs/default_pelter_explosion.json

Same goes for the holkins (artillery_short_ammo.json.json) except it links to the effects/specs/default_holkins_explosion.json

Naval CPlosion is changed in the units/sea/base_ship/base_ship.json. From there it links to the effects/specs/default_naval_explosion.json.

On top of that the specific ammo files of the following naval units are changed to link to the effects/specs/default_naval_shell_explosion.json

• battleship
    • destroyer
    • frigate
    And I see I made a specific change to the dox explosion and the assault_bot.json.

I think the easiest way to fix this is to put yours on a higher priority in the modinfo.json. It should grab your files first above the CPlosion ones. it'll still have the standard Cplosion of the json files that you didnt change (same as vanilla pretty much) and grabs yours instead of mine when it conflicts (it should do that, never tested it though).

Other idea is to just make another mod on pamm where you combine CPlosion with the pew pew mod. You'd only need to copy the following files.

To link the effects to the units
    • units/air/missile_nuke/missile_nuke_implosion.json (to change all the air explosions)
    • units/sea/base_ship/base_ship.json (to change all the sea explosion)

The effects path.
    • effects/specs/default_building_explosion.pfx
    • ../../default_explosion.pfx
    • ../../default_naval_explosion.pfx
    • ../../default_orbital_explosion.pfx
    And I'm out of ideas. I recommend trying the priority one first since its the easiest one. If it works then all is good :). I've set priority for CPlosion to 100 so if yours is lower then it should mix the files correctly.
    dom314 likes this.
  12. dom314

Well, part of the reason I have started working on a patch system is that it allows me to define my mod in terms of patches, instead of shadowing files explicitly. That means that since I can represent the changes you make to the base ammo files as well, I can add literally one line to my patch file (per custom ammo type and unit) which will allow me to generate a mod which is a combination of both our mods.

I think that it is still worth a try to see how they work with just the priority method first.
    stuart98 and Alpha2546 like this.
  13. MrTBSC

so just got arround in actualy playing the levelermod ... and yes it just looks awesome translating well how powerfull the leveler actualy is .. so great work there !

... and also thank you very much for crediting me in the mod, though honestly i don´t feel like i realy contributed much to it
    still thx :D
    Last edited: June 20, 2015
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  14. Alpha2546

Good to hear :) . I like the look of it too. I still haven't tried fiddling with the rings but i'll try that in future somewhere and tag you in it. It was your idea of the type of colour so I do think you should get credited. Its not much but it still is something.

Guess what colour it is :p :D .

Besides that I have a new effect to show off. I've been fiddling with the ant and got a nice looking effect for it. It'll probably be on PAMM in a few hours. I think its not too over the top and not too boring.

I hope you'll like it!
  15. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Holy cow is that capacitors glowing at the sides of the ant? That is incredibly awesome!
    Edit: Seriously, Uber - why don't we have this awesome stuff in vanilla already?
    That would be a great way to counter the "the game has so soul" critic points.
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  16. MrTBSC

yupp realy good, reminds me a bit of the old alpha turrettbeams but better saturated

... my body is ready :) ...
    Last edited: June 23, 2015
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  17. Alpha2546

You can find out yourself :) . Its up!

That comment makes me laugh each and everytime haha!
    MrTBSC likes this.
  18. dom314

OMG I love it. I love the lights on the side.
  19. Alpha2546

You can put it in your mod too :) its a seperate pfx file (burst_flash.pfx) so its easily copyable! You just need to hook it to the bone_root in the fired section of events.
    dom314 likes this.
  20. dom314

Woah, really?? xD Wooooh