I do hereby humbly suggest John Patrick Lowrie be gifted a copy of Planetary Annihilation.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by eroticburrito, June 18, 2015.

1. eroticburrito

eroticburrito Post Master General

Boop.

Not told him about this thread ;) so feel free to take the credit if you wanna cash in on being generous and thoughtful lol.
    Remy561, cdrkf, andrehsu and 4 others like this.
  2. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

+1 this is good idea
  3. Planktum

Planktum Post Master General

tatsujb, nateious and stuart98 like this.
  4. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

5. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Wait, what?

The man made Uber thousands of dollars but they didn't even give him a copy of the game?

It's not about could he afford it, it's about how ridiculous it is that he would have to buy it.
  6. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

7. theaylon

theaylon New Member

this is totally worthy of a bump, it's silly he didn't get a copy
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

I suspect they paid him instead.
  9. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I remember we offered anyone who helped create the soundtrack at Bastyr a copy of the game, but it was only the game key at the time because we didn't have the physical game yet. I'll see if John wants a physical copy. ;)
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

AHAHAHHAAHAA
    *jables likes this*

HAHAHHAAHHAHA

โ—‰โ—กโ—‰
  11. eroticburrito

It's the gesture. It's not to do with money.
    stuart98 likes this.
  12. eroticburrito

Nice one :D
  13. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

YEAH MAN ... UBER ARE SUCH BAD GUYS ... HOW DARE THEY !!! ....

no, sry reactions like these are what is redicoulous ...
    which makes me sometimes seriously question the worth of being part of this community ...
  14. eroticburrito

Can we stop this **** right here please? Nobody is suggesting Uber did anything wrong, I merely thought it'd be a nice gesture.

If I am pissed, it's because TheWrongCat told Patrick Lowrie about this thread on the one I linked to in the OP! :mad:
    cwarner7264 and cdrkf like this.
  15. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I wouldn't worry, we're only saying he should have a copy for his awesome voice work, and uber evidently agree :)
    eroticburrito likes this.
  16. Bgrmystr2

Bgrmystr2 Active Member

As far as I'm aware, most, if not all of the employees at Uber who worked on PA in some way were given their own copy of PA. Or at least they should have. I mean, you put work into the game, by all means you should own a copy.

Remember, a voice may just be one of many cogs in a clock, but it is part of that clock nonetheless. All cogs should be kept dusted, clean, and happy. Without every cog, a clock will not function.

Original post as follows, not sure if it really needs to be said now, but it's how I feel on the subject, so I think it's a fair judgement call to leave it in.
    The fact that the voice of friggin god himself (when it comes to RTS games) does not already own a copy of the very game he helped confuses me. That same memorable voice placed into TA turned into a godsend as the game was one of, if not the best RTS game ever made. In all fairness, no game needs an intro, but that one in particular not only set the stage, the mood, and the lighting all by itself. Planetary Annihilation, like Total Annihilation, are games where first impressions really matter. I'm just one person that Kickstarter trailer enticed to spend $250 funding this game. There are many who got here the same way I did. Perhaps some of you in this very thread. Without that voice, the same voice brought back from Total Annihilation, it wouldn't really feel the same, would it?

That voice that brings chills down your spine, that reminds you of hundreds, perhaps thousands of hours of memories playing this game's spiritual predecessor, that put itself on the line to make a game trailer without a publisher, the voice of Planetary Annihilation, wasn't given a copy? Hell, I'd throw money into Paypal right now to buy him one, and I bet many others here would as well. That isn't the point, though, nor should it be.

God forbid someone who helped work on a game gets a copy of it. That's what's ridiculous here. Voice acting is a job, too. He helped create the wow factor PA needed to not only successfully launch without a publisher, launch as a Kickstarter (IE funded by fans for fans), and then successfully break that goal in the face of many who thought it would never happen. Then afterwards the game proceeded to mark what.. the #5 highest funded game in the history of Kickstarter at the time? Do you really think those who work on something are not worthy of getting a copy of what they've worked on? That's a bit sad, dude.

Edit : Text size was super big. Fix'd
    Last edited: June 19, 2015
  17. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I fangirl'd. Sorry.
    eroticburrito and crizmess like this.
  18. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

I imagine he doesn't even want a copy. Sure, he did a voiceover, it doesn't mean he has any interest in playing an RTS.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

That doesn't appear to be his sentiments in the redit thread (and JPL is a gamer).
  20. jables

jables Uber Employee

I can guarantee at no point did we withhold a copy.. By the time the game came out, he had long moved on to work on other titles. Anyone who was around at ship got a copy. Anyone who worked on it and asked later got a copy. Heck, I was in Germany at another company and just poked Garat and he gave me a copy :p

John can have a copy. We will poke him as mkrater said and see if he wants it. Usually, in the game industry, you would come ask for one as most companies do not search people out to offer. So yeah, no conspiracy, no worries, no hard feelings, but no email asking for it either :)

I don't think we need to close the thread, but I don't know what else there really is to talk about on it. Maybe just discuss how awesome John is in every game he does?