Internet Connection

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by zachthebomb13, June 11, 2015.

1. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

Hello all,

It's been a while since I've played, probably over a year. I just redownloaded it, especially with the recent update to galactic war. I'm curious if I have to have an internet connection to play? If yes, how data intensive is it? I'm only going to be playing single player, not multi. I'm temporarily constrained to my hotspot through my cell phone company for internet, and don't want to burn through all my data just to play. Thanks all, I look forward to playing again soon!
  2. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

No, an internet connection is not required to play.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  3. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

So, when I launch it, it looks for updates. After it gets through that, can I just turn off my hotspot?
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

You've updated right?

Don't turn the hotspot on at all. You don't need it on.
  5. zachthebomb13

zachthebomb13 Member

I must be missing something...

When I open the launcher it won't let me go on until I sign in. Do I need it attached to steam or something?
  6. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

Don't put in your password and press the PLAY OFFLINE button. :)

Play Offline.jpg

Attached Files:

killerkiwijuice and Nicb1 like this.
  7. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

can someone post this on steam for all other people that always like to state otherwise ... i don't get what the deal with the steamclient is that people don't seem to be able to play offline there
  8. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

People aren't bothered enough to turn the local server option on. Then again, there isn't much indication in the ui, but then again google exists: http://bfy.tw/Hi9
  9. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

If you do not see the Offline button on your Launcher, you may have an outdated Launcher. Please uninstall and download the latest Launcher from here: https://store.uberent.com/download/pa

You'll need to login to download the latest update, but after that, you can log out and play without logging back in.
    MrTBSC and Nicb1 like this.
  10. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

The local server is set to "Auto" which is great when you meet the requirements and can play GW without lagging to oblivion.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

what is the difference on steam? i hear many complaints that people don´t seem to be able/not know how to play offline there .
  12. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

I believe that it's because Steam automatically logs people into PlayFab since most people are "online" on Steam. If you launch Steam in offline it won't log you in, and if you hit escape (if you're reflexes are like a cat, that is) you can cancel the PlayFab login. Edit: Maybe not... you used to be able to cancel the login, I can't get it to cancel now.
  13. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Steam doesn't log you into playfab if steam is in offline mode. Also, I think, the local server option if set to on overrides playfab servers 100%