Changing Skirmish Mods into Galactic War Mods Possible?

Discussion in 'Mod Discussions' started by ripperx69, May 24, 2015.

1. ripperx69

ripperx69 New Member

How would I change a skirmish type mod into a Galactic War mod? Such as adding new units, changing the planets maps, ect? Thank you in advance.
  2. wondible

wondible Post Master General

At it's core, copy the mod to the client mods directory, change the type to client, and will be in effect when you play GW. Things could get wonky if you go online, so disable it before switching to custom.

The cards make things a little trickier because they assume vanilla units. You likely wouldn't have access to new units unless you modified the appropriate cards. Cards are in media\ui\main\game\galactic_war\cards\

The systems draw from media\ui\main\shared\js\star_system_templates.js
  3. ripperx69

ripperx69 New Member

Thanks. Hopefully I can figure it out.:)
  4. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

If you do, then we could use your help on the link in my sig.
  5. ripperx69

ripperx69 New Member

I am not in anyway shape or form a modder. lol. Anyways after looking through all of the folders and files I have come to the conclusion that I have no idea how to add units to GW.
  6. wondible

Well, you did say change a skirmish mod, which is a different goal than making new units from scratch. Did you have a mod in mind?
  7. ripperx69

ripperx69 New Member

Complete Unit Roster: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-complete-unit-rooster.68216/
  8. wondible

Okay, so a collection of new units.

Convert to client mod. Look up the mod's pa\units\unit_list.json and figure out which paths correspond to new units (looking at the other files in the mod may help). The simple brute-force approach is add those to a shadow copy of ui\main\game\galactic_war\cards\gwc_start.js You'd have to shadow more cards to make some of the units unlock at the 'right' time, and apply buff cards. (A shadow is a file in a mod with the same name as a core file, such as unit_list.json above)