[REL] Battleship

Discussion in 'Released Mods' started by elodea, April 10, 2015.

1. elodea

elodea Post Master General

This thread is now outdated. Battleship for PA: Titans thread is here

Battleship

What is this?

A Naval battles mod for water only planets. I wanted to make a mod that gave the units life and more tactical and strategic depth. I also wanted that feeling of having 'rare' super units that acted like flagships and significantly changed the way you played. Something that i feel is lacking in vanilla.

The t2 and orbital factory costs themselves have been reduced alot, so don't be afraid to start working on it early. But be careful, because as expensive as the t2 units are, each one has weaknesses you need to protect against otherwise you risk losing that large investment.

What does it do?
    Many unit interactions and roles have been better defined, and you'll need a mixed composition. All units are powerful throughout the entirety of the game. Generally, the power relationship goes destroyer > frigate > gunboat > sub > destroyer. Though this isn't a hard and fast rule, and i'm curious to see what compositions you guys come up with!

I've tried to keep it as intuitive and close to vanilla as possible, so you shouldn't need to read any text to play. But just for the curious and the theorycrafters, some of the main features are as follows,

1. t2 units are hero units. Expensive, powerful, but still vulnerable in some way.
      • Battleship has huge hp, range, damage and rof increase but vulnerable to gunboat swarms and submarines.
      • Carrier shoots down nukes, builds an assortment of fighters and bombers, including nuclear bomber and kamikaze planes. It is incredibly vulnerable to all other ships however.
      • The sneaky Kraken fires nuclear missiles that recharge over time. To fire, use alt attack as you would an uber cannon from your commander.
    2. t2 metal economy is more accessible now
    3. anti-nuke and nuke are heaper and the nuke war is a more standard part of the game. Remember to build those antinukes!
    4. t1 sub fires clusters of torpedoes for hit and run attacks against slow, powerful units like destroyers, battleships. They can be dodged by fast units.
    5. gunboat is faster, cheaper, higher vision sight, and can find and destroy underwater units with depth charges. Absolutely crucial support unit.
    6. destroyer fires long range missiles, and also shoots down missiles.
    7. Wreckage is back
    8. Experimental T3 orbital battleship which can shoot energy bombs at people using alt fire.
    9. Sxx and orbital control is important
    10. Properly mixed unit compositions always beat out pure compositions.
    Fixes

• Improved battleship effects

Gameplay

• Reduce Holkin cost from 10k to 5k
    • Increase Holkin damage from 800 to 1500, splash radius from 10 to 35
    • Increase Holkin artillery shell salvo from 10 shells to 20 shells
    • Decrease orbital repair station build arm from 200 metal rate to 70 metal rate

Fixes
    • Orbital fighters can use attack command

Known Issues
    • Orbital units can only go through teleporter one by one

Gameplay

• Added new unit Heavy Harry. An improved Holkins that fires salvos of artillery bombardment
    • Added new unit orbital repair station. Repairs orbital units. Will also repair land units if certain uber bugs get fixed
    • Added new unit Orbital Teleporter
    • Avenger splash damage removed and direct damage by 2x
    • Orbital unit hp's (except for astreus) increased by 2x to balance for metal/hp ratios with addition of orbital repair station
    • Orbital unit speeds standardised and decreased about 50% between planets, with exception of astreus and radar satellites
    • Gunboat hp increased to 140 from 120
    • Frigate splash damage decreased to 15 from 20
    • Battleship range increased from 450 to 500, rof decreased from 4 seconds to 5
    • Anti
    • nuke range increased to 400 from 350
    • Nuclear sub nuke splash radius decreased from 100 to 90

Fixes
    • New Commanders in the armoury store now work
    • Pgen and Mex can no longer see underwater layers (subs)
    • Adjusted push classes so gunboats don't shove battleships around
    • Orbital units will drop wreckage
    How can i get it?
    PAMM under server mods, Battleship

You can also find a Battleship Mod map pack on PAMM under UI mods.

Future
    The goal is simply to increase fun. If something isn't fun, it'll be changed, and if an idea sounds fun, it'll be added. So as usual, be liberal with your feedback.
    Last edited: October 14, 2015
    tesseracta, ace63, pjkon1 and 7 others like this.
  2. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

This mod is fun imo, especialy the changes to the T1 sub torpedos. Is there a reason that the torpedos for all the others still look like the old version? Are they meant to represent some different kind of weapon? You mentioned depth charges.

I played in a game with this mod yesterday. If I could recommend one change it would be to give the Kraken's missile a very small power drain or by some other means cause the "recharging" bar to be visible next to the unit. I actually wasn't able to figure out how to get the kraken to fire its missile. When I gave an attack order it just moved in and used torpedos since it was too short a time after its last nuclear shot, so I assumed that manual fire did nothing. Knowing how long you had until your next nuclear missile would be nice.
  3. elodea

Hey, glad you enjoy it!

All the other torpedoes like from torpedo launchers and frigates i didn't change because it didn't fit the role those units were supposed to fill. Submarine is supposed to be about high alpha damage hit and run.

Depth charges are just bombs dropped from gunboats, which you need to move over underwater units for them to fire.

The Kraken definitely has issues, including the intuitiveness one you mentioned. However, these are things I can't really mod, which annoys me alot! HP and ammo bars not being easily visible is one of my long standing gripes with Uber's UI implementation for over a year now, and as far as i can see is an engine related thing that can't be modded. :(
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
  4. elodea

Map Pack for battleships now on PAMM with 3 maps

1. Gamma Canal - 600 radius moba-esque layout with 3 lanes. More fast paced
    2. Pale Blue Dot - 700 radius fully water planet. Normal paced
    3. River of Death - 800 radius with one water lane between spawns. More about orbital/sxx control, how well you can control your unit compositions, use nukes etc. Longer paced and more epic battles.
    If you make any kool and unique water maps, send them to me and i'll add them.
    Last edited: May 7, 2015
    mishtakashi and Quitch like this.
  5. elodea

Battleships 2.0 on pamm now. New units, new interactions, and a balance pass. I'm concerned about the potential for huge stalemates and frustrating gameplay, so if you experience any of this let me know what it is you are finding not fun.

Battleships 2.0 Changelog
    Gameplay
    • Added powerful orbital battleship (90k metal) for breaking stalemates that used to occur with anti nuke and static defence spam. Using alt fire uber cannon bomb costs alot of energy, but it rekts face.
    • Added Kamikaze plane (air scout)
    • Fighter rof increased to 2, damage halved.
    • Missile Bomber range increased to 190
    • Aircraft speeds decreased by about 10
    • Gunship weapon range decreased to 70
    • Frigates no longer see submarines. Only gunboats and sonar detect subs.
    • Frigates increased to 20 speed, and main weapon now a shorter range aoe flamethrower for roasting gunboats
    • Destroyer missile turn rate decreased to be less accurate against gunboats
    • Gunboat speed increased to 30
    • Gunboat damage increased to 20
    • Gunboat hp increased to 150
    • Gunboat more accurately drops depth charges on subs
    • Sub turn rate increased to 45
    • Sub hp decreased to 400
    • Nuclear Bomber hp decreased to 175
    • Avengers fire 360 degrees and do splash damage with radius 1
    • Anti-nuke range increased to 350
    • Combat fab hp doubled to 300, metal rate decreased to 80
    • Orbital fabber reclaim added back
    • Basic Torpedo launcher hp increased to 4000, cost decreased to 250
    • Adv Torpedo launcher hp increased to 6500
    • Basic and Adv Torpedo launcher range decreased to 180
    • Radar and sonar metal/energy costs increased across the board
    • Umbrella range increased to 225
    • Commander energy storage increased to 60k

Fixes
    • anti nuke ammo speed increased to 700
    • Stopping orbital battleship production midway will no longer crash the game
    • Sonar build bar icons now green so you don't confuse them with torpedo launchers
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    tesseracta and stuart98 like this.
  6. crazyivan97

crazyivan97 New Member

I love this mod.

What would be nice if you can fix the ai, because all it does is stands in one place.

:)

edit: its a rare bug ill provide full details later.
    Last edited: May 13, 2015
    elodea likes this.
  7. crazyivan97

crazyivan97 New Member

On gamma canal(your map), on the hardest level ai, the commander does very little in terms attack and defence, he only builds one factory and just supports the unit building. Some fabricators do nothing while a couple only build mexes and radar.

On pacific, on the highest level difficulty, the commander does nothing.
  8. elodea

@crazyivan97

Hey thanks for the feedback! It's going to take some time to get the AI working properly but that's the next step that i'm planning on starting.
  9. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

You might want to mention in the description whether or not any game-play has been removed (such as orbital or anything like that, that might get people to actually bother to download it or not) (not that i downloaded it anyway since i have a lot of water maps)
  10. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

Oh and nukes are too OP make the explosion radius smaller please...
  11. elodea

Could you help explain this a bit more clearly? :) Nuke explosion radius is the same as in vanilla, and antinukes are alot cheaper than nukes, as in vanilla. As an added bonus, even carriers can shoot down nukes using just energy.
  12. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Kraken doesn't appear to want to fire its nukes upon units, I can't seem to get them to fire, why not just bind it to alt fire? Also, planes built by carriers has the tendency to teleport to land.
    elodea likes this.
  13. elodea

oh wow i'm stupid. Kraken nuke set to alt fire.

The problem with the air is something that I can't fix though.. It's got something to do with the navigation property of 'air' being hardcoded to check for nearby land to spawn on or something i'm pretty sure. And i can't make the carrier a moving factory because moving factories unfortunately don't work :(.

Thanks for the bug reports though!!
  14. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

And also, the nukes fired from the krakens don't detonate properly when you set a unit(Moving or static) as the target. It just glitches out and then disappears.
  15. crazyivan97

crazyivan97 New Member

Is there by any chance you can make the carrier toggle, meaning it can only built units when it is "anchored". Also in anchored mode, the airplanes can come out of the carrier.
  16. elodea

nope, wish i could but there are limitations to what you can mod in pa
  17. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

1. Yes it is the same as in vanilla :)
    2. Nukes are cheaper but people don't ever build anti-nukes and it's too easy to pwn them since they don't know that the mod has a cheaper nuke cost, so they build anti-nukes when it is expected in a normal game that anti-nukes are to be built (so it's a test of balancing the fact that there are people out there that are noobs to the mod and the fact that it's easy to kill them that way)
    3. People don't build t2, they just spam t1 or build only 1 or 2 aircraft carriers and spam kamikaze airplanes/nuke airplanes

Just do something to the nukes that debuffs them or make it easier or more attractive to build anti-nuke installations (somehow)

PS this isn't meant with a hostile tone
  18. elodea

You may be right that nuke timings are too fast. Thanks, i'll have a look at this and see if it's an issue!
  19. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

As of now I have 7 maps that are pretty much perfect for this mod.

I rate the mod itself 4.8 stars/5 stars relative to the other mods in this game...

And that's a complement because I usually prefer vanilla and other mods just the same/equally.
  20. elodea

Locking at 2.2 untill admiralty tournament. I think i've worked out most of the issues with single and multi planet now. Only going to be updating with hotfixes for bugs or very serious balance issues if any are discovered (i hope not).

Version 2.2 Changelog
    Gameplay
    • Kamikaze plane cost decreased to 50, hp increased to 70, splash radius increased to 35
    • Holkin cost decreased to 3000
    • Catapult cost decreased to 3000
    • t2 energy cost decreased to 1300, and death pbaoe reduced to radius of 50
    • t1 mex increased to 7 metal per sec from 6
    • t2 mex increased to 14 metal per sec from 12
    • Nuke Launcher cost increased to 10,000
    • Deep space radar cost increased to 800
    • Orbital battleship cost decreased to 85k, max health decreased to 37k
    • Orbital battleship laser yaw and pitch rate increased to 5
    • Short range secondary cannons added to naval battleship (inaccurate however).
    • Frigate hp increased to 1000
    • Gunboat hp inreased to 180
    • Gunboat depth charge rof increased to 1.5
    • Basic and adv torpedo launcher hp increased by 1000
    • Basic and adv torpedo launcher ammo turn rate decreased to 50 (can be dodged by gunboats)

Fixes
    • Optimised some effects so they don't contribute as much lag.
    • Kraken nuke now bound to alt fire (like uber cannon)
    • T2 fighter now properly shoots down commander aa missiles
    zihuatanejo and tesseracta like this.