Investigating Menu Lag

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by mkrater, May 11, 2015.

1. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Have you experienced lag in the menus? If so, are some menus more laggy than others?
    If you've experienced slow, laggy movement in the menus, please let us know more!

(Please note, if you have ASUS Gamefirst III installed, this can cause lag in the menus and game in both local and online servers. Disabling this program resolves the issue.)
    Twinstar, xanoxis and cwarner7264 like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Opening the friendlist can take a moment if you have 1k people in your usertagmap. PA should clean that map once in a while, its size can cause severe performance issues once it gets too big.

Also related info: Having PA Stats enabled causes all menus to load external files from pastats.com
    So it adds whatever response time the server has for you to the loading time for most menu changes.
    Usually less than a second, but still noticeable, especially if you know it happens.
    xankar and proeleert like this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

i've never had problems with the UI regarding lag except the usertagmaps.

And the unresponsive join button is rare for me but the pa stats ajax injector thingy fixed that for me
  4. cola_colin

Ah right that is also a problem, for some people I think it is really really bad actually. The native code that handles http requests via curl only does at most 6 request in parallel. Under some conditions requests (Having PA Chat enabled seems to trigger something for example) can hang for a longer time, filling up all 6. After that all other requests have to wait, which is really bad since there are a lot of things that need the requests.
    My workaround, that's included in PA Stats but has to be enabled by the user, is to not use the native curl stuff but instead directly do ajax for all ubernet calls.
    Webkit is much better at handling http requests anyway.
  5. wondible

wondible Post Master General

The translucent scrolling background text is an issue on some systems.

https://forums.uberent.com/threads/rel-lightweight-menus.62586/
    proeleert and cola_colin like this.
  6. cola_colin

good point, for PA Chat I disabled that stuff as it eats a lot of cpu
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

actually looking at the UI-lag fixing mods would answer a huge portion of the question.

if there were mods made for them it was because there was a problem in need of fixing.
  8. gmase

gmase Well-Known Member

My menus were very laggy until I changed my global default graphics to use nvidea instead of Intel integrated card. I'm pretty sure that was what improved performance, I think I can reproduce this if needed.
  9. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

Me and a few of my friends tend to get general UI lag still, let alone main menu lag and lobby lag.

The UI doesn't feel like it responds when you need it to respond immediately.
    ace63, tunsel11 and ArchieBuld like this.
  10. Anijatsu

Anijatsu New Member

It's unplayable for me since ever.
    It's mostly the same even after I upgraded to FX 6300 + R7 260x.

Filed a bugreport here.
    xanoxis likes this.
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I see you have an ASUS motherboard. Can you check your programs to see if you have Gamefirst III installed?
  12. elodea

elodea Post Master General

yes, unit group power toggle is very laggy.
  13. Anijatsu

Anijatsu New Member

Nope, I haven't ever installed it. I'm staying away from anything else than drivers when it comes to manufacturer provided "utilities". I've switched to a following build a few weeks ago (re-installing the OS of course):
    Mobo: Gigabyte 78LMT-USB3 AM3+
    CPU: AMD FX-6300 3.8GHz Black Edition, without OC
    GPU: MSI Radeon R7 260x 2GD5
    Mouse is A4Tech Oscar X710, I helped a friend with 2 GBs of RAM so I got left with 1x 4GB 1333MHz DIMM of GoodRAM.
    Sound card is still a ASUS Xonar DG and I've got a Logitech K350 as my keyboard.
    And I've still got such issues.
    xanoxis likes this.
  14. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Can you try increasing your virtual memory? The amount you have now is rather low and that may cause the slowdown you are receiving. Can you set it to something like 14GB? (Instructions here in case you need them)
  15. Anijatsu

Anijatsu New Member

Nope. Amount of memory doesn't correlate to performance in menu when I'm nowhere maxing out on my physical memory usage. I've changed the page file to that size and there's no change.
    xanoxis likes this.
  16. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

What about CPU?
  17. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

How about the coherent UI getting stuck when generating a planet. That can be confusing for new players.

Another thing I hear a lot is that they can't confirm there spawning. If you play with multiple people the start annihilation button keeps on. Can also be confusing.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  18. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

These are true and I have noted these issues, but in this thread I'm looking for areas in the menus that have lag. :)
    Alpha2546, xanoxis and radongog like this.
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

And rage-inducing. And they alt-f4 so the host never knows if they're actually in the lobby or force quit, until the loading timeout happens.
  20. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

This is the worst.
    klavohunter likes this.