Editor bugs and issues: The Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by takfloyd, January 30, 2015.

1. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

I had CSGs reset to default and custom placed metals disappear upon game restart even after rendering after exiting edit mode, saving the system, and saving the individual planet. In one case I actually playtested a map sucessfully, only to have it reset after closing the game and starting again. Word on the PA Stats chat is that if you export a system, you can check the .pas file for decimals in strange places... I did not have these problems though.
  2. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

@jables i don't think we're going to see much proliferation of custom maps (which are amazing for gameplay) until these kind of infuriating bugs are ironed out
    lorodion likes this.
  3. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Yeah someone explained the missing cfg bug and how to fix it a few days ago, you have to export the system you saved that's missing the CFGs, open the .pas file that it gives you, look through the planet slider settings (the ones you can change in the editor like temperature and water height and all that, they should be near the top) and find one that has a decimal with a ton of numbers after it, and round that to a full number (so change 33.779008456098 to 34 as an example)

Then you just save and import it and you can edit it again, but every time you save and close it and want to reopen, the bug will get saved back in and you have to export it again and round the same number again which is definitely annoying as hell
    lorodion likes this.
  4. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Sounds like this should be an easy fix for uber - here is hoping the map editor gets some serious love soon.
    lorodion likes this.
  5. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

I have the strange problem that on mirrored planets, sometimes selected csg (where I just wanted to see how it may looks) gets placed under my cursor on the mirrored side without even clicking and then because it is only there on the mirrored side of the planet I can't remove it anymore.

Edit: The problems occurs while selecting a csg, moving over screen but not placing it before selecting a new csg. Then there remains a ghost of the not placed csg, that cannot be deleted.
    Last edited: February 18, 2015
    Wrekriem, davostheblack and Alpha2546 like this.
  6. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

I just lost all the CSGs on 6 different planets. Hours of work wasted.

Looking in the exported .pas file shows that the CSGs aren't just bugged, they're not in the file at all. Completely gone. Most of the planets didn't have the decimal bug either, there was nothing to fix. The CSGs just plain hadn't saved for absolutely no reason.

And of course, Uber doesn't seem to care about the editor at all other than removing features. Does any of them even read this thread?
  7. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Doing some more tests it seems that planets randomly keep their CSGs when saving, and when they do, each CSG object is usually stored twice in the .pas file - before AND after the metal spots and landing zones. Some planets will save CSGs the first time, and then refuse to save any further changes.

This just seems like extremely bad programming here.

An unrelated bug is that objects sometimes won't rotate, for no clear reason. Selecting a different object usually solves the problem. Sometimes you have to repeat the process a few times before it works.
  8. Wrekriem

Wrekriem New Member

Please have a look at the editor bugs Uber D: everytime I want to make changes, even small, I have to create backups after backups because of tiny infuriating bugs that cause metal to disappear randomly, or CSG or any of the other bugs listed in this thread.

Greater control of spawning for fair 2v2+ maps would be amazing too.

Everytime I try to make fair maps I have to spend far too much time fighting bugs and I leave stung!
  9. stephen2002

stephen2002 New Member

I found a fun one:
    1. Make a gas giant.
    2. Delete the gas giant.
    3. Add any other planet type.
    4. Edit the metal density of the planet.
    5. Go back to the terrain editor.
    6. The planet radius slider now runs from 1000 to 2000! Giant planets!

Also ... would it be possible to move the "clear system" button away from the "simulate" button? Quite a few times I've clicked "simulate" with my mouse closer to the right side of the button and then clicked again to stop it without moving my mouse ... but at that point the clear system button has moved under the mouse.
    Last edited: March 9, 2015
  10. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

So I tried saving a planet and adding it for an annihilazer system (2 metal planets) and I get all sorts of weird behaviour. @mkrater @masterdigital
    • UI not loading properly. I sometimes miss the 3 tabs like recent planets, my planets or templates
    1.jpg
    • Same goes for my brushes tab not loading properly
    2.jpg
    • UI getting reeallllllyyyyyyy sloooooooooow sometimes when adding another planet
    • Second metal planet not popping up after reloading the system (it just vanishes? Weird right!)
    • First metal planet being altered into an earth type biome when I want to check if the csg is in place.
    • Save my planet funtion not working when i want to save the metal planet and load it up in a different system
    • Same goes for recent planets. Won't work.
    All happens with the attached system no mods on.

If you want to reproduce the problem then just open up the ohmwrecker v7 system and try to add a duplicate on a collision course with the first metal planet. If someone can get that working then let me know. I can't get it working.

The annihilazer system shows the second planet not loading up and altering the first metal planet into an earth type biome.

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 3, 2015
  11. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

@Alpha2546 - I'm having a hard time recreating the issue with the tabs disappearing from planets and CSG menus. Are you running with the --nomods parameter to be sure mods aren't interfering?
  12. Alpha2546

I haven't @mkrater where do I put the parameter? I'll look it up and try to give you a clear repro (don't spend your time too much on this one I want to give you a step by step explanation to reproduce it). Also It only happens with a system that have custom csg in it. Getting a solid repro with the ohmwrecker v7.

If I create a brand new system then the csg tab will pop up.
  13. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

Do you use Steam or the Launcher?
    In the Launcher after logging in, in the upper right-hand corner where your username is, there is a dropdown list. Select Build options and in the Additional command-line options field type in --nomods
    In Steam, right-click the game in the Library and select Properties. In the General tab, select Set Launch Options. In this text field type --nomods

This should help ensure the game runs without any mods. :)

Afterwards, if you'd like to run mods again, just delete the text in this field and run the game as usual.
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

pamm has a button to do it just once, called "Safe Mode" if pamm is configured to know where PA is.
    mkrater likes this.
  15. Alpha2546

Thanks @mkrater ran PA with the --nomods command and unfortunately it still happens. I imported the ohmwrecker v7 system into my pa and opened it and missed the tabs. Have you tried testing this with my ohmwrecker v7 system imported?

Added my dxdiag just incase. Let me know

Attached Files:

16. mkrater

mkrater Uber Alumni

I imported both systems and was unable to reproduce the error. I'll see if I can have someone else take a look at it.
    btw - I like the symmetry of The Ohmwrecker planet. Looks great! :)
  17. Alpha2546

Thanks for the compliment mkrater! I just checked the coherent debbuger and had like 80 errors opening it up in csg mode.

Code:
    Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method '_trigger'
    Failed to load resource coui://ui/mods/ui_mod_list.js
    error loading coui://ui/mods/ui_mod_list.js common.js:57
    Uncaught QuotaExceededError: An attempt was made to add something to storage that exceeded the quota.
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'radius' of undefined system_editor.js:1234
    [LIST=1]
    [*]SystemEditorViewModel.self.checkBiomeJsonsystem_editor.js:1234
    [*](anonymous function)system_editor.js:1304
    [*](anonymous function)
    [*]fire
    [*]self.fireWith
    [*]done
    [*]callback
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]
    [LIST=1]
    [*]Uncaught TypeError: Cannot read property 'radius' of undefined system_editor.js:1234
    [LIST=1]
    [*]SystemEditorViewModel.self.setSliderssystem_editor.js:1308
    [*]handlers.system_blueprintsystem_editor.js:1600
    [*]read_messagecommon.js:912
    [*]process_messagecommon.js:934
    [*](anonymous function)
    [*]Emitter.trigger
    [*](anonymous function)
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]
    [LIST=1]
    [LIST=1]
    [*](anonymous function)system_editor.js:1304
    [*](anonymous function)
    [*]fire
    [*]self.fireWith
    [*]done
    [*]callback
    [/LIST]
    [/LIST]

If you need any kind of data or something then just ask. I might need a clear explenation since I'm not good with this kind of stuff
  18. Alpha2546

Okay it seems like its loading the tabs properly @mkrater but it loads itself up behind the uberbar ( thats the friendsbar right?). I have no idea why it doesnt properly align itself above the uberbar when I load up that system. It does load up the tabs properly above the uberbar when I create a new system.
  19. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Metals don't save anymore.

random planet -> advanced edit -> metal tab -> place metals -> close metal tab -> save -> close -> close. Re-open. Metals not saved.
  20. Alpha2546

I can't seem to scroll into systems that I edited with the advanced system editor. Also trying to click the planet gives no response.

opening up a new system works fine. i'm getting the error below when I try to open a bugged system.

Code:
    Uncaught TypeError: Object #<Object> has no method '_trigger'
    (anonymous function)
    Resource interpreted as Font but transferred with MIME type text/plain: "coui://ui/main/shared/css/font/trebuc.ttf". system_editor.html:12
    Resource interpreted as Font but transferred with MIME type text/plain: "coui://ui/main/shared/css/font/glyphicons-halflings-regular.ttf". system_editor.html:12
    Resource interpreted as Font but transferred with MIME type text/plain: "coui://ui/main/shared/css/font/Sansation_Regular-webfont.ttf". system_editor.html:12
    determined current scene name to be system_editor
    gSystemEditorFixes live_game.js on 80462 last tested on 80817
    gSystemEditorFixes addPlanet
    csg: 194 metal: 2 metal: 6
    Uncaught QuotaExceededError: An attempt was made to add something to storage that exceeded the quota.
    (anonymous function)
    z.notifySubscribers
    c.O
    a.T.fn.(anonymous function)
    SystemEditorViewModel.self.UpdateRecentTemplates system_editor.js:548
    finish
    model.addPlanet
    SystemEditorViewModel.self.handleLoad system_editor.js:1367
    SystemEditorViewModel.self.setup system_editor.js:1425
    (anonymous function) system_editor.js:1620
    fire
    self.add