Can you remote debug PA from another computer?

Discussion in 'Mod Support' started by coldboot, May 2, 2015.

1. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

I'm able to successfully debug PA using Coherent UI debugger at 127.0.0.1:9999, but I can't figure out how to get PA to listen on 0.0.0.0 (the external network interface) so I can remote debug from another computer.

I'm connecting to 192.168.0.8:9999 from another computer on the same network and subnet, that can connect successfully via ping and Windows File Sharing, among other things, but the connection times out.

Does anyone know any command-line parameters that can enable remote debugging? I couldn't find anything.
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, Coherent only allows debugging on localhost. To get it on another computer, you'd need to do some port forwarding. The easiest way is to just use SSH (on Linux and Mac, dunno about Windows).

From the computer where you want to debug from:
    Code:
    ssh comp_running_PA -L9999:localhost:9999
    Then you start the debugger and connect to localhost as you normally would. SSH then forwards that to the computer actually running PA.
  3. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

This works great.

However, in Windows, you need to know what SSH daemon to install.
    FreeSSHD is a piece of s}{it, and likely so is everything that's not Cygwin. It fails to login any users.

When in doubt, use software written by people with Unix chops: Cygwin.

This perfect step-by-step Cygwin install guide got an SSH daemon running in Windows 8.1 listening on all ports, so @DeathByDenim's suggestion worked immediately.
    DeathByDenim likes this.