Forum horribly silent since a few weeks...

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Neumeusis, April 27, 2015.

1. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

I guess it's the Nimbus font that is used in Kubuntu. We don't have that fancy "Trebuchet MS" font that the CSS calls for. Bad website testing, I say! Note how much prettier my font is! Real fonts. Not those skinny photoshopped ones. So I stand by my "Argh!". Darn Uber for *never* fixing bugs!

For the record: Yeah, adorable I get that a lot. And I'm fine with that!
    Also, I'm using too many exclamation marks! Sorry!! I'm ok now! !
    tatsujb and jables like this.
  2. perfectdark

perfectdark Active Member

It would be nice to know what areas of the game you are going to look at more long term. I've been bored to death by save/load for a good few months now and it seems a lot of people have too.

Maybe this forum and more largely this game attracted a certain kind of person. A person who wanted continual change, a person who wanted to know what development was taking place, a person who wanted to be involved in the whole process.

It seems more recently Uber has cut back on letting us in on the good stuff. The live streams, Q&As, discussions on technical challenges have all but vanished. I suspect its because they'd rather deliver no news than bad news, and only a select few employees are allowed to post here and they haven't been keeping us interested.

I'd rather hear 'We're really struggling to implement X, it's a right bastard' rather than 'we're working on polish' which means nothing.
    Remy561 and ace63 like this.
  3. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

For every like taken away 2 more will replace it. Colin got 3000+ likes in one night. He can get far more now.
    stuart98 likes this.
  4. DeathByDenim

I dread the day he will have written 10000 messages though. Only 206 left...
    stuart98, reptarking and tatsujb like this.
  5. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I assume the kickstarter attracted a load of people like me who wanted these things, and we got it during the kickstarter period.

The kickstarter period where most of the interesting things happened is over. I suspect the reason there's been less of the interesting things is because there's less interesting things :p
    cdrkf, stuart98 and websterx01 like this.
  6. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Don't forget the plausible case that most of us simply got what we came for and have since moved on to new things. It's possible to enjoy a game without wanting to play it for ever, or having that mean it failed. The early access life-cycle means many of us felt 'done' with PA before it was even released! Actually I think this is the only early access game I ever bothered to continue playing after release (I played from about 6 months pre-release to 6 months post release before deciding I was done and satisfied). I beat Galactic War in a variety of ways, over numerous balance patches, I played ranked and unranked, I played mods and no mods, etc etc. In the end I quit because I was mostly a casual player and the pool of people at my skill level simply dried up and went away. I'd be crazy to say it wasn't worth it. Sometimes I think we just miss the fact that maybe PA was never going to be a super long running game, and that's not the end of the world. Hopefully the Genre has been improved by it's existence. I do feel kind of bad for the last remaining die-hards though as I doubt we're more than 6 months, 12 max from Uber needing to move on from the game and start something new.

fake edit: this post will inevitably draw comparisons to TA and SupCom who had much longer lifecycles. Those were great games. PA is a decent game. The industry has changed a lot and there is a lot more competition for gamer's attention. Those games also had the support of much larger teams, and I suspect RTS doesn't have the same draw it once did.
    Last edited: April 29, 2015
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I'd like to point out that (as far as I know) these games had a similar dip. And then picked back up when things started getting really good for it.

By the time I started playing SupCom, FA had been out for awhile, Hardware had finally begun to catch up with it (not MY hardware though, I was still rocking a pentium D. Is a pentium D sufficient for FA? HEllS no!)

but after that SupCom and FA hit their biggest dip ever when gpgnet disappeared. it took awhile for people to wake up to FAF's existance and after awhile FAF was picking up steam again and on it's way to beating GPGnet's online numbers.

All of these things were strongly aided by all the constant content being added to FA through FAF. the balance being tweaked, tourneys being organised, all that.

what I'm trying to get at is that for some types of games it takes long hard years of polishing for them to pick up steam.
  8. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

yeah. For FA I was among the people who at some point thought "This is where it dies".
    I was sooooo wrong. Since then I kinda don't take all this "this game xyz is going to die" for serious anymore.
    cwarner7264, cdrkf and proeleert like this.
  9. tatsujb

Now let's agree that PA currently has more flaws then supcom at the time it came out ;)

I just think there's so much wrong with the enjoyability of the game. mainly the UI and how to efficiently issue orders.

I still have issues double-click selecting units. I still find there is insufficient strategic overview for what's going on in total. I still find the intel model decades behind that of FA and not adapted to a game that already has this many shortcomings in terms of strategic overview.

I find the terrain use quasi-noexistent, the balance mechanic choices dubious and the single-faction dogma to be one of the most damaging factors to the replayability and all around fun of PA.
  10. doud

doud Well-Known Member

When we compare PA to Supcom/FA i can't prevent myself to imagine what PA could have been with the same budget as for Supcom/FA. Now if i remember well what Neutrino had said, Supcom development was a bit chaotic and when he joined the team he had to work on lots of things which we not working and especially manage to engineer the strategic zoom. It seems like it's not easy to bring such a complex game to life, especially when you consider the business perspective. Editor VS dev studio ... Editor had the money and the power while Devs have the skills. And we are simply not a large enough community to expect such games getting millions of dollars to come to life.
    Remy561 and tatsujb like this.
  11. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Usually when they go silent it means a big feature comes out, like when the game launched we got the annihilazer, though hopefully this time around it will be something really good and not a PR move to sell copies
  12. aapl2

aapl2 Active Member

more dev into play fab or john other more profitable ventures.
  13. Geers

Geers Post Master General

I thought stalking was illegal?
  14. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

if it were illegal the federal government wouldn't do it
    websterx01 and tunsel11 like this.
  15. tatsujb

SHITTT!!!
    [​IMG]
  16. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

It's ok, I'm back now.
    xankar, reptarking, stuart98 and 4 others like this.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Clearly it's simply the royal "we", or he had a chat with The Nosebreaker.
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

And now the twist in the story: The Nosebreaker in reality is an alt of jables.
  19. DeathByDenim

20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

thetrophysystem likes this.