Why the game is so frustrating and didn't have the expected success

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by wbonx, April 13, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

A very common mistake of newbies who want to look cool.
    cdrkf likes this.
  2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The number of games I win where I have 1/3rd the apm of my opponent... usually against younger players who come from Starcraft (edit: ok I can't know that for sure so apologies for generalising there).

That said when you look at my CPM (as in issued commands rather than pure actions) it's often the same or higher. Needless clicking is just that... needless clicking.

Even some of the top players tend to click more than they need (e.g. manually placing every mex- the area build usually picks the most efficient path in my experience so why not use it?). Uber have put in a lot of tools to help reduce this, I say make use of it. Obviously there are places where I probably should be quicker, as otherwise I'd be #1 rather than #20, still it's good that it's possible to play at a reasonable level without having to be super fast on the mouse.
  3. halosas

halosas Member

Well just to add I think the only planet worth playing on is metal. It suits the flat plan look and feel all the rest look just boring and unfinished.

the hole cartoon look don't work for me I like the look of FA better.

and as for mega units missing OOPS! not good.
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I like metal still, just for the gridded structure, playwise. Small or big, it is procedurally generated well with chokepoints and divisions.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

This is a harsh, but pretty darn accurate summary in my view.
    warrenkc likes this.
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well i guess wargaming bought TA rights for a valide purpose, but i really wonder if there are still plans to bring TA2 on to the table ... it's been so long since C.T. talked about this ...
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Actually the model was changed from being an uplsaled pelter a while ago. And I remember the sound because it's a weird frog noise. (Which I don't understand. :S )

But I pretty much agree in everything else.
  8. pivo187

pivo187 Active Member

Ace63 hit the nail on the head. Ta to this day has the most epic sounds and soundtrack in gaming history. Sup Com was the only game that came close and like ace described pa does not give that same feel and the sounds are horrible with no impact or power. I also agree the units are lacking in uniqueness. Sup com was epic because of its many unique and just down right epic units. Honestly pa has none...
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

About these sound effects, I always turn the music volume way down to 10% or so and leave the effects at 100%. That brings out nicely the stomping sounds when a commander is walking about, which would otherwise be drowned out. Does that help?
    (But, yeah, it's hard to beat Big Bertha!)
  10. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

Just to address the title of this thread, is it a known fact that PA hasn't achieved the success that was expected?
  11. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Nah, it's just to get people to click on it. I.e., "this one weird trick makes all doctors angry" or something like that. :)
    If you read the first post, the title really should have been "What do you guys think of per-planet resources?"
    klavohunter, MrTBSC and igncom1 like this.
  12. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

U kiddin?

they thought that stuff's amazing.

they did everything in their power to make it as APM-heavy as possible. even though you don't have to do anything to add apm to a game. a game adds apm top itself. result? apm galore.

look at the state of the intel. sure that doesn't factor in actual clicks but that means you have to be foamy-at the mouth to know what the hell is on the map in a certain region you once scouted.
    Last edited: April 17, 2015
  13. tatsujb

to be fair it really didn't. this was supposed to be the sucessor to TA in every sense.

TA wasn't "a super underrated game".

did you know TA actually wasn't underrated at all?

you know people hold League of Legends to be the best selling video game of all time, but if you add "RTS" to that criteria, it's not starcraft, its TA.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Total_Annihilation#Reception

mind-blowing eh?

no other RTS can say that.

starcraft would be next in line and PA maybe 50th place
    ace63 likes this.
  14. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

And all those rewards are well earned. There was a reason the hype about PA was so big when it was announced as a follow up to TA - it wasn't only because of the planet smashing, but because people are thirsty for a worthy follower.
  15. pjkon1

pjkon1 Member

To be honest if this game is "frustrating" I have to wonder what the "expected success" was.

I came to this game with my only RTS experience being halo wars, so my opinion might be biased, but when I compare PA with that I have to say: easily 3X as many unit types with a real role to play and a reason to build them (well except hornets and grenadiers but those will be useful as soon as I learn the micro or the ai gets fixed to use its range), 2x as many elements (adds water and orbital), has multiple planets (I understand some people hate this, but I love it as long as you don't go overboard with more then 4x as many planets as people per team which is just confusing, but even that concern will likely go away as I get better) and has actually interesting game ending super weapons (who doesn't like turning a part of the map into a KEW?). I honestly just got this game to work a few weeks ago and I have had only one complaint (the disappearing commander bug) which got fixed. For everyone here saying the game was a disappointment, what kind of heaven were you expecting? Because if what you are thinking of ever becomes a game I will definitely want to buy it.
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. wilhelmvx

wilhelmvx Member

Compared to other "new" RTS games PA is doing better actually.
    Grey Goo anyone ? Etherium? ...heh.
    cdrkf likes this.
  17. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Where's the steam chart guy? Get him in here
  18. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

U wot? I'm currently #20 on the ladder with a very low apm. Ok if you want to challenge the top 10 you need to be fast but pa is quite forgiving on the apm front if you use the tools pprovided. It's certainly much lower than ta thanks to line and area commands, along with repeat build And so on. I don't view it as any higher apm requirement than sup com either.

Heck in pa you can queue factory orders before their built, and scout an entire planet with a single area command. How is this game so apm heavy? Air micro maybe? Otherwise I find it pretty steady paced (way less than starcraft for sure)....
  19. tatsujb

I also mentioned micro that doesn't factor in apm ...
  20. tatsujb

thought it was easy to predict those two would go nowhere.

I did.