Shallow Space - a 3D Space RTS Game - Now on Indiegogo + Free Demo

Discussion in 'Unrelated Discussion' started by brianpurkiss, April 3, 2015.

1. ozonexo3

ozonexo3 Active Member

You are first one who tell me such thing. Most 3D programs and some games use MMB to rotate/pan camera. I used it in few games, and nobody ever said that it is not working.
    squishypon3 and websterx01 like this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

WOW! so glad I finally decided to go ahead and follow this guide! fixed my mmb! it works now!!! YIPEEE

Disclaimer : SHITS HARD. THESHITS MEGA MEGA HARD.

way harder on my ikari laser white then on his logitec whatever.

this is stuff is not for the faint of heart. I could've easily done irreversible damage to my mouse.
  3. tatsujb

is used your program to test my mmb. look it works but it just feels soooo awkward.

the mm is a not button first and foremost it's a scroll wheel. maintaining it while it just wants to roll out from under your pressure is a pain. it's also a small clickable zone as opposed to the vast stretched out areas that are left-click and right click.

Why not use maintained right click to pan???
  4. brianpurkiss

brianpurkiss Post Master General

I'm not sure I get your point.

I can't tell if you're talking about something with the Shallow Space alpha? Or maybe the suggestion from ozonexo3?
  5. tatsujb

generally speaking about new games shallow space included.

a good setup already exists in homeworld, why reinvent the wheel?
  6. brianpurkiss

Because then our game would be nothing but a carbon copy of another game.

That's how you get game series that won't innovate or die, like the CoD series. (although AF had some neat additions)

Why should Planetary Annihilation re-invent the wheel? Why go with spherical maps? All RTS games have flat maps. Why re-invent the wheel?

We're not making Homeworld. We're making our game.

Without taking risks, without doing something that other games haven't, we won't get any innovation. We won't get anything that brings something new to the table.
    cdrkf and ozonexo3 like this.
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

True, although I think in the case of camera controls any innovation needs to show an improvement over the existing precedent (e.g. area commands in pa) rather than doing it differently for the sake of it (e.g. the line formation tool in pa).

I'll give the demo a try and see how it plays for myself. I like home world (i have Rm) however I don't view the ui as one of its strengths- you can't queue up orders with shift for example.
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. brianpurkiss

The thing is, this is a full 3D environment. There isn't a whole lot out there in that realm.

From my little experience, while Homeworld is technically 3D, there isn't much of an emphasis at all on verticality.

That being said, we do have an orbit cam in the game, which I believe is Homeworld's primary camera view. So we do already have that. However, I don't particularly think orbit cam is the greatest camera option for an RTS.
    cdrkf likes this.
  9. tatsujb

that's a bullshit argument and I'm tired of hearing it.

THE GAME is not resumed by what camera model it uses, I'm sorry.

And of course depending on the category of game there are different 'best' approaches.

but you are making the second title in a short, VERY short family of games : the space-RTS

one solution rules supreme over them all : has the 'best' already been discovered? that may still be up for debate.

Does shallow space's current camera have ANYTHING on homeworld's? No sir. I'm sorry, no it does not.
    homeworld remastered is out there right now, why don't you go try it, figure out how much of a lie that is.
    Last edited: April 17, 2015
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Mmb is used in practically everything. From modelling programs to RTS games. Hell I think even Spore's creature creator uses Mmb...
  11. tatsujb

you misquoted and are now off topic.
  12. squishypon3

I didn't misquote. I just wanted to use a more recent bit of what you said. You're still talking about mmb. Except how using it doesn't make the game not a copy of homeworld (or really the opposite)- Of course how homeworld uses the pan or rotate camera doesn't define the game. But mmb is just vastly superior.
    ozonexo3 likes this.
  13. tatsujb

no i'm not?
  14. squishypon3

Just look at the eeedit.
  15. tatsujb

I insist I'm really not. why don't you just look at the thread
  16. squishypon3

I did read the thread, you were saying that the argument that using mmb to be different from homeworld is a bad reason. Aka exactly what I was saying (or trying to say) you were saying.

Just calm down and see the real reason they use mmb, it's not so the aren't a copy of homeworld because like you said the button for camera control isn't what defines homeworld, but instead they use it because it's just so much better. And everyone other than Max users are used to it in the vast majority of programs.

Edit: Supcom even used mmb. Blender, 3Ds Max, Maya... etc...
  17. tatsujb

you latched on to that particular thing. I don't know why.

I don't know if you noticed but in the middle of the thread I fixed my mmb.

I think what you're missing here is context.

there three things you need to install and try the camera in to understand what me, brian, cdrkf and oneonex are talking about :
    Shallow space demo, ozonex's illustration, and homeworld (any of HW1, 2 or RM)
  18. squishypon3

You fixing you mmb shouldn't even have to do with what you were saying. Because yes it does make it possible now to use the mmb like it can be- It doesn't change your opinion on that mmb is worse than what homeworld uses to control the camera. Unless it did? In which case- Okay?

Edit: I just latched onto the mmb because that's all I know to talk about. And that I know mmb is just- Better. And widely used.
  19. tatsujb

20. squishypon3

Yes because talking about how I'm liking the fact they use mmb to mess with the camera in this game is "off topic" oke. Just take a breath. =/