The Future of PA

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Zaphys, March 29, 2015.

1. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

Yes and no. The Ipod was revolutionary no doubt. Apple was also the first to successfully commercialize a smart phone as well. But now the Iphones lag waaay behind droid and windows in terms of performance and hardware specs. They continue to get away with this because they can, they have a huge fan base that will buy anything apple regardless of how behind in terms of tech it is.
    It's a terrible design form a functional standpoint. Heat issues, no way to upgrade or replace components without sending the whole thing in. You can't pick and choose your monitor or size outside what Apple provides. As mentioned earlier if your monitor dies the whole thing has to be replaced similar to a laptop. Not to mention you pay beyond premium for parts that are generations old or behind current hardware. If you ever take the time to price out a PC with comparable parts it's almost always 3 times cheaper or more. You really do pay for that brand name. Yes some of the Apple O.S. features are nice but it's not worth it for me.
    squishypon3 and elodea like this.
  2. mikeyh

mikeyh Post Master General

Did you mean OS X and iOS using the open source Darwin BSD core based on Mach 3 kernel with its own IOKit?

No linux anywhere in the stacks...
    Last edited: April 3, 2015
  3. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Mac OS is based on Unix, which Linux is basically a modern clone of. ;P
  4. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

functionally pleasing?

most definitely.

this :
    [​IMG]
    ,my friend, is a tech engineer's wet dream.

seems elemental once you see it, it's so simple yet so true, so there, so in your face obvious!

of course! line up all the PCB's circularly (or whatever comes closest : triangularly) and you can use one radiator to ventilate all your pieces.
    one radiator?

one fan. one powerfull fan.

less noise, more cold. BOOM.
  5. tatsujb

not just that.

it's come to my attention that Mac has progressively been bringing itself closer and closer and closer to linux with every update.

they are today more resemblant to linux than unix.
  6. squishypon3

Oh they have one good bit, great. -.-
  7. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Who needs a fan when you can water-cool
    tunsel11 and squishypon3 like this.
  8. tatsujb

no, not really.

they also posess the world's best Multi-boot. it's absolutely gorgeous and the only one to feature mouse support.

and as I said above (if you'd've read) they were precursors in most of the high tech fields of today.

people really tend to neglect how much samsung, Asus and such owe to apple for doing the proof of concept work for them.
  9. tatsujb

something that apple was the first to sell fully completed and market-ready.

EDIT : also technically incorect : you don't remove fans when you watercool.
  10. squishypon3

To be honest past doesn't matter when it's now. I understand maybe it'd be nice to pick them because of their past legacy- but when they have shown to release old and over priced things as of late.. I'm gonna' hold off on my praise.
  11. tatsujb

I never said pick them.

I said respect them. they're the past, the groundworks for our technology today.
  12. squishypon3

Did you not read what the picture was connected to at all? :p That liquid cooling was set up with an older Mac recently just for kicks and it turned out to meet the perf of a newer mac.
  13. tatsujb

correction : "yes and yes" read what I said again, you're basically agreeing with me.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

First smartphone was blackberry, and having owned several I'd take one over a software locked pain on the arse I phone any day. Also don't even get me started on mobile safari... 'its the internet' yeah right try writing anything beyond a basic web page for it.... /rant.

Edit to be clear I don't hate apple- they make good quality hardware which is something the other oems had been falling short on. they're software is also easy to use for beginners, however as a tech enthusiast I find it terribly frustrating and 'hand holding', aand lately I've been tasked with some mobile optimisation of a customers site hence my jab at mobile safari, android, blackberry and windows phone run my code fine, but mobile safari? :p
  15. tatsujb

Squishy, where the picture come from is irrelevant, i've seen old mac pros opened they come with liquid cooling.
  16. squishypon3

If you're going to use a picture as proof use a picture that is actually relevent, that's all I'm saying. :p
  17. tatsujb

OMG jesus squishy, you serious? I added it after. i've removed it now, happy?
  18. tatsujb

I excluded it although you could count it as the small exception, because it didn't have touch screen which seem's like a defining factor in what makes a "smartphone"
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Touch screen isn't in the definition. A smart phone can run software like a pc.

BlackBerry not only invented the area 10 years before apple, they even created their own data system (edge) and set up their own private network to supply it because at the time the data service was too slow.

I phone also want first touch phone, that credit belongs to Nokia.

If apple were first to do anything in the phone arena, it was adding a touch screen to a smartphone. They also incorporated 3d acceleration with a pretty interface which made it look much better than blackberry at the time. The rest was all marketing, something apple are world leaders at imo.
  20. tatsujb

look i said defining factor not definition.

you could also factor in the urban notion going on here. it's not like you're gonna get much pull with the kids of today selling them the blackberry as a smartphone.

sometimes a word's definition isn't a factor of history but of current use. You can see that with the dictionary being edited.