Editing build queues

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by lulamae, April 1, 2015.

1. lulamae

lulamae Planetary Moderator

If I queue up 3 bot factories and then 3 power generators, is there a way to delete the third bot factory while preserving the rest to the queue?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Nope, sorry. You have to redo the queue.
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

And sadly enough, Jables once said on the steam forum that this feature was not planned either :3
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Another glorious interface loss for PA, another would be that if you didnt like the placement of the 3rd building, you could drag and move the ghost image to a new spot. Same with move/attack/ferry/ect... commands D=
    piebaron, tatsujb and monkeyulize like this.
  5. monkeyulize

monkeyulize Active Member

I'm still not sure why this wasn't put in from the beginning. It's one of the only major glaring interface issue. Also like mjshorty said you can't reposition buildings. So if you queue up a bunch of stuff and make one mistake near the end you have to redo the whole thing. Frustrating.
    tatsujb likes this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

for the glory of Cthulhu, of course... TT_TT Uber, why?
  7. destravous

destravous Member

What? Why!? Like never?
    This is a very important feature to have!
    tatsujb likes this.
  8. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Is it?
  9. piebaron

piebaron New Member

I've always wanted this feature, it would save so much time.. I like doing long and complex sets of commands and always mess it up near the end, wasting precious time! the order/building waypoints/ghosts are sitting there and they were positioned there it shouldn't be so hard to allow modification after placement!!! exclamation marks!!!! its not my most wanted feature but I would really appreciate it!
    tatsujb likes this.
  10. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

I'm TenaciousC and I approve this message.
    tatsujb likes this.
  11. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Or the feature where if you select a bunch of units, and order them to go somewhere, it creats a clickable button on them that you can just select later on, which will select all those units.
    This is what happens when a game just doesnt have enough funding to get these production values in to the game =P
  12. piebaron

piebaron New Member

You can do that if you group your squad, reselecting that group and holding shift should allow you to append orders. but what we would like is the ability to modify this set of commands which took valuable time to plan.
    I think budget cannot be an issue as I read that they raised over $3.2 million for this game.
  13. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

You would be absolutely shocked to hear how little money that actually is for a game to be developed. I have no idea where to find the information to quote, but it has been said repeatedly that this game has had a significantly lower budget than it's recent predecessors.
  14. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It was a bit over 2 million. Supcom alone took something like 10 million to make at least.

@jables can probably remember the budget for FA.
  15. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Considering all the sales up until now my estimate would be that PA has very well approached the 10 million mark or even surpassed it already.
    I mean even Scathis said that the kickstarter money lasted until the beginning of beta....
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Don't think they are above 10 millions so far. Estimate around release based on the number of developers at Uber and the time was more like 6-8.
    For SupCom:FA I think it was said that 11.5 millions was the number, though when I chatted with jables he said it was even more.
  17. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Even if so having money all at once and scrapping up money weekly is very different.
  18. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

To be honest, I think there are more pressing issues than this.
    It would be nice, to have some means to correct a build order you just issued. But how many times does this happen?
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

more pressing issues?

like what?

this is as pressing as it gets this is so core to the gameplay of RTSSP, you have no idea.

how many time does it happen? all the times. everytime.
  20. coldboot

coldboot Active Member

Don't think about this problem in terms of "how often do you really need to fix a build queue", because you're right, it would be just a minor optimization to have the ability to delete some build waypoints.

Think about how your behaviour would change if you already had the ability to quickly and easily edit your command queues. You would probably be more efficient reacting to changing situations without having to completely cancel and re-issue orders to your units.

This was extremely helpful in Supreme Commander with the simple ability to move command waypoints, but we can go further.

If you had the following capabilities, it could make the game much more high-level than it already is:
    1. Add or delete a command from any queue
    2. Move existing command waypoints on the map
    3. Save and load queue templates (building nicely arranged defenses without the work)
    4. Issue orders independent of units (queues don't die with the unit, units can be assigned to queues)
    5. Select and move a subset of commands in a queue (to efficiently make it fit different terrain, think templates)
    After the Kickstarter was launched, some of us were discussing the idea of: Orders as First-Class Entities (OFCEs) in the forums, and Jon Mavor mentioned that the Planetary Annihilation team had been considering implementing something similar.

It seems a stretch that anyone would actually implement such a powerful UI in an RTS, but I think it could make a huge difference regardless of how we're used to playing today.
    trilioth and corteks like this.