The sorian PA AI thread

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Quitch, December 23, 2014.

1. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

Thats alright on the "normal" difficulty, but if i can win against absurd within 5 minutes (exluding the comm that moves super fast and shoots fast) then things are a little more of an issue, especially late game G.W. being easier then early G.W D=
  2. doctormod

doctormod New Member

Seriously late game is easier? I've found it gets harder as time goes on. I'm now in multiplanet systems where they have orbital things I don't. I've had to Unit Cannon or Nuke my way to victory.
  3. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

For smaller systems it is harder, and you have a less of a chance of getting "lucky" with the first tech cards, less 1 planet systems to start with and facing off the faction leaders early (the orange and red you need to be prepared). Its also another problem with G.W. is that bigger systems are easier then smaller ones, still even then i often find it easier for later games because i get lucky on tech, theres very little parts to the game where skill matters, its in the tech-cards and systems you play on.
    doctormod likes this.
  4. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

This "bug" has been in the game since I bought it, so I thought to bring it up.
    You know how fighters assisting land platoons need extreme micro because they keep on wandering into enemy land based AA defense?

Well it is annoying. An unnecessary inconvenience. It would be nice for the AI to have the fighters calculate the range of land based AA and avoiding it while staying ~ 100m near the target it is assisting so that it wouldn't commit suicide.
  5. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Completely wrong thread for this.
  6. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Isn't it part of AI
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

No
  8. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

It's more of a gameplay mechanic; it doesn't actually have anything to do with the AI that this thread is about.
  9. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Something I suspect the AI doesn't do right now that might be a nice addition is that when it has a nuke, and the enemy commander is nukable but not killable by one nuke, it lowers the commander's threat so that air and ground units attack it. At this point it doesn't need to kill the commander, only remove enough health so that a nuke will.
  10. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

I think he just misunderstood, you don't work on unit AI at all, right?

I guess it's fitting to ask who does? Cx
  11. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

How about: Nobody?

If I'm not entirely mistaken, then unit "AI" was only subject to some bugfixes since the introduction of the command system, and that's it. Well, actually they don't even have an AI or anything which could be called such. They are just controlled by the first order logic command scripts, that's it.

They move according to vector field generated by their given command, choose targets according to the priority list given in their unit description, and are slightly affected by the push mechanic and the flocking algorithm.

They are not performing ANY situational analysis, except for seeking additional targets while they have no primary, reachable target set.
  12. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Still artificial intelligence.. Just not- Intelligent. :l
  13. galaxyisos

galaxyisos Member

this has been mentioned before but still valid

AI should really consider building at least one anti-nuke launcher before building nuclear missile launchers:)
  14. Quitch

Sorian, before the new build launches I think you should look at the difference between North and South AI on Pacific. The North one will often build one vehicle factory then just sit there and assist it, it never takes the metal on the coast nor builds another factory. The Southern AI spawns in a different place due to the current Pacific metal bug and doesn't suffer from this issue.

While the AI works fine on Pacific in Pte, I thought it would be handy to examine as it might be indicative of some underlying bug that could crop up in the future or in certain game situations.

EDIT: I realise now the new release patch is already out. Ah well.
    Last edited: March 22, 2015
    websterx01, stuart98 and dmorchard like this.
  15. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Wow. You are stretching the definition of intelligence very far.
  16. Quitch

In a Queller test on PAX Prime running the latest build the AI turned up with an Astraeus carrying a fabber. It came down over the water, then just sat there. It never unloaded its cargo.

2015-03-23_00002.jpg
  17. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

Over the weekend I did a little experiment in stable build 79600 with evenly matched AIs playing 1v1 on Pacific. I didn't see any of the aforementioned single vehicle focus; in fact, AIs now seem to understand that there's no role for vehicles on Pacific, often starting with bots or air. Here's a summary of 5 games [SPOILER - victory to the south]:
    1. Lobby ID = 11144406690156464460, Absurd AIs, duration = 18:25, southern victory
    2. Lobby ID = 7511714723055814467, Absurd AIs, duration = 11:39, southern victory
    3. Lobby ID = 6547567078042554124, Relentless AIs, duration = 26:53, southern victory
    4. Lobby ID = 5230343038687286593, Absurd AIs, duration = 11:19, southern victory
    5. Lobby ID = 15205792829772298302, Hard AIs, duration = 36:16, southern victory
    Aside from spawn location the deciding factor appears to have been one AIs failure to build naval early (or at all in some instances). Some other weird AI behaviour:
    • Failure to build torpedo launchers... ever.
    • Dox groups being sent to and hanging around at underwater mex locations, mimicking land-based raiding and map control, but obviously pointless.
    • Prioritizing destruction of any and all in-range units and structures before firing on a commander.
    • Failure to move an attacking unit to re-position for an effective firing solution (i.e. when a Barracuda's torpedoes are blocked by a peninsula/island it doesn't re-position)
    Last edited: March 23, 2015
    mjshorty likes this.
  18. websterx01

Are these only for the absurd AI? Otherwise the issues mentioned could just be because the AI is so gimped.
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

He mentions which AI in the description of the games. Most were Absurd, though he also tested Relentless and Hard AI's in a couple of games.
  20. websterx01

@cdrkf He didn't mention during which games he saw the issues, so I feel it's better that he clarifies and that he knows for the future of his AI reporting.
    cdrkf likes this.