PTE build 79538-pte

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, March 18, 2015.

1. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

infernos have always been a bit of a weird case for the AI.

One thing I've been thinking that might help with this is to put infernos/vanguards into their own platoons, and have some mechanism of "linking" platoons together. Linked platoons would receive the same strategic level orders, but behave differently on a tactical level. (ex, ant heavy platoons would try and stay at range while the infernos would charge in)

Kinda spitting in the dark here but makes sense in my head and I don't think it would be all that hard.
  2. dmorchard

dmorchard New Member

I just tried Pacific (PTE 79493) with a single AI on hard and its comm went idle on the start island after building the short queue of structures seen here:
    upload_2015-3-19_14-59-19.png
    ...note the single vehicle factory :/ At this stage no shots had been fired yet and the comm remained inactive until I took out the factory, at which point it decided it should build a vehicle factory (face-palm). I've tried variations on this same experiment in all of the recent patches - PTE and stable - and I've yet to have a satisfactory 1v1 AI skirmish on Pacific.
    Last edited: March 19, 2015
    warrenkc likes this.
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I've seen that one and I actually like this bug. so peaceful lol
    DeathByDenim and Remy561 like this.
  4. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Anything other then Absurd is nerfed. Hard is only a small step above normal, so I am not surprised.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Sorian, this isn't a hard AI. It's a peaceful AI on vacation. Please make it prioritize naval to some extent. Naval has the most powerful units for metal cost in the game - there really isn't a reason for the AI to not build them, regardless of skill level.
    stuart98 and Remy561 like this.
  6. jables

jables Uber Employee

OP Update with:

-Fix for units not attacking
    -Fix for local save/load
  7. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

BWOOOOOOOOOP. Cool stuff!
  8. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

That's already how it works. Each platoon is broken into squads, the Infernos exist in the "close" squad, which means they're managed differently from units in other squads. On Absurd the AI will micro at the squad level.
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Bingo. Part of the bad inferno behavior reports is probably people playing on lower difficulties. On absurd (before the weapon bug) the AI used them quite well.
    mered4 likes this.
  10. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Also in this build:

-AI will evaluate what it can deploy (land/naval) at the start of the game for planets with mirrored starts.

This will help the AI start better on systems like Pacific.
    Quitch, mered4, cdrkf and 2 others like this.
  11. earth75

earth75 Member

As I get it, Absurd is the only good AI and the others are all broken? Maybe its fine for the lowest difficulty levels, but maybe we can have something different? I don't know I never wrote an AI

[​IMG]
  12. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I think the normal AI should be half that height.
  13. nixtempestas

Ah, that explains why I didn't see that behavior, last few games i played was with a friend and we were up against relentless.

Is it possible to mod this behavior into the weaker AI? I took a quick look through the files but didn't see anything.
  14. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

By doing that wouldn't you just end up with an Absurd AI anyway?!

*in Skirmish* the Absurd AI doesn't get any cheats (like eco boost of free vision), it's just not been made deliberately worse. I wouldn't let the name put you off- it's a very worthwhile opponent these days (and as a hint it is beatable, but the key to doing so is speed- attack quickly and you can quite easily contain it, give it too long to build up though and you might be outa luck!).
  15. nixtempestas

The reason I ask is I'm pretty sure there are more things than just this that weakens the other AI. Could be wrong.

The limiting factor in those games was the friend, not me :) The only difference for me is a relentless takes 10 minutes and an absurd takes 11. it only really poses a challenge on large, metal infested maps (seriously, set a metal planet to max metal values across the board, make it 1k - 1.2k radius, watch the horror ensue)
    cdrkf likes this.
  16. mjshorty

mjshorty Well-Known Member

I think Relentless is slighly below absurd, but otherwise accurate, my friend is having great difficulty going from hard to relentless (compared to normal and hard)

What about adding 1 or 2 more AI difficulties Sorian? =)
  17. pownie

pownie Active Member

Suffered through an hour long game on stable against a hard AI that had a 700 command rate for half the game. I don't even want to meet absurd AI. I just want the nightmares to go away.
  18. nixtempestas

lol, they never will, half of those commands are actually infecting your computer, adding a subliminal message to the PA icon, so that every time you look at it the nightmares of your last crushing defeat will return.
    websterx01 likes this.
  19. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Still no fix for Offline GW stuff >-<
  20. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Can we make it negative? I've never understood the normal AI. I always feel like it's that one machine that decides to be different and starts foraging for food and hunting wild animals. The lack of an strategic or tactical thought is disturbing.

That said, it is the noob AI. And I've seen some pretty bad noob things.
    stuart98 likes this.