King of the Planet 12 - 28th March, 15:00 UTC

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by exodusesports, March 8, 2015.

1. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

He's still nowhere near Matiz standards of throne camping is he?
    matizpl likes this.
  2. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

I think neptunio is the only player at the minute to be able to do this. Cut above everyone playing.
  3. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Don't forget @killerkiwijuice.... After his performance in evil twins I wouldn't rule him out.
  4. proeleert

proeleert Post Master General

Well choosing all ranked maps didn't work out well for BattleBear, so who knows :)
    Bsport and zihuatanejo like this.
  5. Illmaren

Illmaren Active Member

We will see who wins :)

i hope it will be an epic battle
    Zaphys likes this.
  6. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

I could make an anti elodea map?
    cdrkf likes this.
  7. cdrkf

Do it :p
  8. cdrkf

All fine except the issue of 'each planet in multi-planet systems must use a different biome'.... That is really really limiting. I'm guessing exodus decided that to make casting easier? However what if you want to create a symmetrical system? what about an annhilasor race map? I think that is a bad decision imo.
    jonasmod and reptarking like this.
  9. jonasmod

jonasmod Active Member

Replace it with "must have a simple name", so that casters actually can pronounce them :p
    zihuatanejo and cdrkf like this.
  10. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

It's because all the top players only ever played on moons. We wished to force some diversification.

You're really over-estimating the size of the kind of system you're going to see in King of the Planet if you think that's limiting.
  11. cdrkf

I was thinking the key to winning kotp would be to throw the king some real curve ball maps... Taking these guys on ladder or anything resembling ladder maps is foley... I have some ingenious, map related scenarios that could shake things up however.... Especially if there is no rule that requires prior disclosure Of the maps (no time to practice). I think that would give the map creator a significant advantage now that we have custom csg stuff...
  12. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

Yeah A curve ball could Involve a one metal spawn start position with a bit of a walk to a clump. And then you just nail an early opening build to put pressure on throughout the game. Easily done and hard to react. Well except now that I ruined that idea.
    zihuatanejo and websterx01 like this.
  13. exodusesports

exodusesports Well-Known Member

We're going to be using Hitbox for this event in place of Twitch, so make sure you're following us there.
    cmdrflop and stuart98 like this.
  14. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Why Hitbox?
  15. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Yeah, why?
  16. Quitch

Quitch Post Master General

Hitbox reached out to us and is willing to give us frontpage visibility and a little pimpage. We're trialling it to see whether it exposes PA to a wider audience. King of the Planet is a nice event to trial Hitbox with since it's one of the simpler events to run.
    zihuatanejo, n00n, Clopse and 3 others like this.
  17. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

Sounds cool, I suppose. God knows Twitch could use some serious competition.
    Last edited: March 18, 2015
    stuart98 and matizpl like this.
  18. cdrkf

I have quite a few ideas actually :)

The key point is that *the king* doesn't get to see the map first. Challenging a top 1 v 1 player on ladder maps is a pretty futile plan *unless your that confident*. Having some challenging (and critically *never seen before*) maps on hand could swing it though. None of the challengers have been creative enough imo.

I mean even simply making the map feature multi planet spawns could throw someone off if they're not expecting it (especially if as the map designer you have a solid plan in mind). There are plenty of players with *good enough* basics that with the advantage of prior knowledge or a more elaborate map setup, it becomes about macro and planning.

Your example, whilst a viable approach, does still revolve around taking your opponent on in a pretty comfortable setting.
    stuart98 likes this.
  19. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Cool stuff Quitch. Twitch is pretty lazy and has some issues ( the random buffering as an example). Wouldn't be surprised if hitbox will be smoother. Can't wait!
    stuart98 likes this.
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

I kinda feel like there won't be nearly as many viewers compared to a twitch stream. But that's alright because front page is good anywhere.