Hotfix build 79600 is live!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, March 12, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

They should suck in unit vs unit battles, unless they aim at stationary units. The purpose of an artillery unit should be to force your opponent to move from a "save" distance away. I would guess their latest buff to range should make them okay for that. Try to mix them into your army and have an extra range that should allow you to "push" around your opponents army while staying out of range. Grenadiers are fast enough to work together with tanks.

What is really bad for them is the first issue you mentioned. Grenadiers outrange that turret, but you can't easily use that because they walk into turret range by default.
  2. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Fair enough that could work. Again I haven't tried em that much to give a proper opinion ( They just feel really boring with the slow bullet speed).
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

These performance gains are unbelievable. I was able to play my classic giant moon with infinite metal without getting bored or running out of time due to unbearable lag. I spammed bots the beginning, had almost 2000 dox until i deleted them. I had almost 1500 booms at the end and ~500 slammers, ~700 sniper bots, ~300 bluehawks, and more than 200 T2 fabbers.

Thanks Uber! Not sarcasm, 3.5 is amazing compared to earlier patches where I quit playing these types of games due to lag.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3.5 FPS might seem very low but trust me, with earlier patches and this many units the FPS would be below 1.5.
    warrenkc, Zaphys, ArchieBuld and 5 others like this.
  4. cola_colin

If you give arty a high bullet speed you make it better than any direct fire weapon ;)
    I guess the graphical effects could be better. Make it launch the bullet with some "bam" and make it hit the area it hits with a big explosion and sound effect.
  5. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Grenadiers should feel like T1 arty from SupComFAF: Long enough range in the early game to disrupt PDs and turtles, but stupid long bullet speed and aim-at-unit algorithms that make them almost useless against moving units.
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. mayhemster

mayhemster Well-Known Member

a slow moving / rotating commander is fast enough to micro away from grenadiers so yeah something is a bit wrong here
    Zaphys likes this.
  7. cola_colin

don't see the problem. was the same in FA
  8. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I like that.

I also don't mind them being massable and tank-damage, but can't hit moving infantry and shorter range. That way they are cheap massable damage, but trade with units.

Just throwing this out there. But in RA they were OP except they exploded. Which meant massing them killed your army faster when they did die. So you couldn't spam them. They were literally cheap rocket soldiers, but one dying killed every friendly around it. That's soviet specialization for ya.
  9. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

I prefer not to have that level of complexity to units without giving them an insane tradeoff to make them useful.

Unfortunately the devs already decided to do that with Jigs....which has destroyed gas giant play and removed the idea of a GG in flux, like a planet.

It's different, but very similar to the way they did the PBAOE on death for air and the friendly fire for booms. Neither seem to work well and one was removed soon after its introduction.
  10. cola_colin

That's a very typical sign that you're dealing with developers who experiment. It's good.
    Remy561, thetrophysystem and mered4 like this.
  11. truthtaco

truthtaco New Member

My games have been freezing lately (last 2 non pte versions) and I just tested it and using the planet patrol does cause that same freeze I have been experiencing.
  12. ReddWolff

ReddWolff Member

Same here, it seems to freeze for a few seconds nearly every time a unit touches ground after being completed by a factory. No mods used and the factory is set for patrol.
    Last edited: March 17, 2015
  13. laurentgdh

laurentgdh New Member

Same for me, since Friday's release the game has been unplayable, it lags a lot, even on small maps. I'm on a Mac (16GB of rams). I don't know if it's patrol related, it was the case since the beginning of both games I tried.
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

But RA did it so it can work. I don't agree with it, so I don't use it in a mod. I do add death weapon to booms with friendly fire off, just so infernos killing them is a trade.

But by RA logic, you would have to give them 125 range, tank damage with splash, and faster projectiles along with their current cost. They still are a risk because they sympathetically kill all infantry around them.
  15. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Nice work making those videos alpha - I experienced the 'grenadiers-walking-into-a-turret-even-though-they-outrange-it' bug last night, it is definitely a problem. I was looking forward to grenadiers having some kind of purpose but they all suicidal right now!
  16. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

in that case i realy would like them to add the same effect the realmbalancemod had .. glowing red with smoke and a small/tiny explosion on impact ...
  17. Alpha2546

I'll see what I can do to the effect.
  18. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

awesome!
  19. Zaphys

Zaphys Well-Known Member

I also think they (and any mobile artillery) shoyld be able to fire fixed ground positions.
  20. Alpha2546

Noticed some bugs today again.

units aren't shooting buildings. You have to force em to shoot buildings. See vid below

Also the income isn't working in a chronocam. It rarely does work though
    pa 2015-03-17 15-42-50-62.jpg
    Last edited: March 17, 2015
    Remy561 likes this.