Seton's Return - A map adaptation

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by mered4, March 13, 2015.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

UPDATE 1.2
    The Eastern landbridge has been closed off.
    I've reduced the amount of mex between the spawns to emphasize the trench warfare that should encompass the entire game.
    I adjusted the mountains around the spawns to help define their roles to players.
    ----------------------------------
    As most of us know, everyone in FaF has a love/hate relationship with Seton's Clutch and its various versions.
    Thus, I'm expecting OrbNet to burn this thread to the ground as soon as he finds it. Please don't tell him. :D

Jokes aside, I went about recreating Seton's Clutch before realizing it was impossible. Even if I could find the right seed (which is really difficult, let me tell you), finding a suitable adaptation that doesn't demolish the idea behind Setons would be substandard (and, in my eyes, unacceptable).

So I made a map that kept to the spirit of Seton's Clutch and went from there.

Thus, I created a map with the following conditions in mind -

Intended for a 4v4.
    Four recommended spawns on each side, but none of them are set in stone.
    One spawn is dedicated to the mid lane.
    One spawn is given the choice between helping the mid or going full naval.
    Two spawns are given the choice of naval, air, or eco.

I was going to add two moons in opposite orbits, but I figure that orbital is broken enough as it is. I've postponed those two moons till a later date.

Each spawn is given seven mex - four to start, three to expand to. The rest of the map is littered in mex, which are mostly spread on the three islands. There are a few mex in the water - however, this is mainly to give a slight advantage to the team that has naval control. There are two *main* oceans, each connected at the poles. Control of these bodies of water is paramount, as a robust naval presence can help suppress the mid and control the largest island.

I limited the amount of CSGs in the path of land and naval armies. This is to both discourage micro play and encourage building your own chokepoints with walls in the mid.

Play it, give me feedback! I'd love to know what you guys think.

NOTES:

There are currently three *ghost* CSGs that I have yet to remove. When I try to edit them in the advanced edit mode, they are unselectable. Fortunately, they don't cause an serious gameplay issues (despite being asymmetrical). If anyone knows how to remove them, I would love to know :) Thanks.
    Pictures:
    The spawns:
    [​IMG]
    The mid:
    [​IMG]
    The Larger ocean:
    [​IMG]
    The Smaller Ocean:
    [​IMG]
    The Back Island:
    [​IMG]
    The Mid, from a different angle:
    [​IMG]

Attached Files:

Last edited: March 27, 2015
    warrenkc, guest1, doud and 2 others like this.
  2. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Love it dude !!!!! What would we do, without such brilliant map makers :)
  3. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Those are most likely mirrored brushes that weren't deleted properly when you deleted their twins. If you read the planet with DirectEdit, you can find them in the brush list and delete each of them from there. (This will unlink the other mirrored brushes, but if you're done editing the map it won't be a problem.)
    mered4 likes this.
  4. mered4

Awesome. I fixed the three issues I mentioned in the OP, but had to erase them because there were suddenly a ton of random CSGs lying around that I never placed and couldn't remove. I mean, a mountain appeared in the middle of the south spawn! I was quite frustrated :D
  5. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

6. mered4

Sure! I'll post an update for it tonight, so you can use the latest one with all the issues fixed :D
    reptarking likes this.
  7. mered4

Update posted. :D
  8. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

you need to activate windows xd
    mered4 likes this.
  9. mered4

I'm using Windows 10's Preview. Activation is disabled :/
    killerkiwijuice likes this.