Any update on physical rewards?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by infuscoletum, January 12, 2015.

1. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

You can't discredit multiple communities (ign, steam reviews, and metacritic) and only credit these forums. It doesn't work like that. I'd argue that opposite, that the community is still plenty volatile. I'll echo your statement about things getting better though. If you look at the more recent reviews there are less negative ones, though there are still legitimate complaints on there that are not getting addressed (yet).
  2. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

[​IMG]
    close enough
    bengeocth likes this.
  3. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

My biggest problem with going early access on steam was the adding of what ammounted to another community at a time when things were far from optimized and a lot of the established community had problems even running the game after some patches. Things like the bug tracker and even these forums weren't really "advertised" iirc, which made things worse, even when people did find the foruk. I understand the move if $ was an issue, but other than that.... I dunno.

Like I said, differently....

Either way, water under the bridge IMHO. And, I more or less ask about the state out of curiosity, and not wanting to accidentally start something.... :/
    cdrkf likes this.
  4. blightedmythos

The only reason I brought it up is because someone asked why I feel that way. I figured I'd bite..
    infuscoletum likes this.
  5. g0hstreaper

g0hstreaper Well-Known Member

;-; no pls
    infuscoletum likes this.
  6. infuscoletum

infuscoletum Active Member

Ya, about that spider: what if your favorite colors aren't black/red?.....
  7. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Pa is coming along nicely imo. The reviews are improving as uber tick off features.

I think uber did make quite a few mistakes with the way they handled things early on- something that came back to haunt them with HR. As you say though, water under the bridge and from what I've heard of them none of it was based on ill intentions. I'd argue part of it was simply down to PA being one of the first large ks funded games and the whole community management thing is quite different to how they would normally go about things.

The other issue is down to just how crazy ambitious this project is. The possibilities are pretty much limitless. There are so many ways they could take the project whilst still keeping to the pitch- and that means they're guaranteed to not meet the expectations of someone. I like the game, pacing and so on. Others say it's not 'ta' enough, others say it's too ta like and should draw from sup com, then there's the debate on scale (again not a problem for me but almost deal breaking for others).

Then you have to consider, on top of creating a very complex game, they have had to create an entire engine from scratch to do it. With full cross platform support I might add. To give you context, oxide games had been working on their new engine for a couple of years before the star swarm demo, that was a year ago and they've only just now announced the first game to be alpha this summer. So in the time they've made just an engine, uber have made an engine, a complex game and loads of patches. I've seen the comparison made to other projects that appear to have gone quicker, however I can guarantee they are all on existing engine tech.

TL,DR: despite some mistakes along the way I think uber have done very well, if anything the issues relate to their inexperience with what is a very new paradigm for game development.
    infuscoletum likes this.
  8. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

IGN discredits themselves, haha.

And I don't know what's wrong with the steam reviews, why is a bit over 70 considered bad? What happened to the rating system?...

Oh that's right it's been abused so much (people being paid for their reviews, such as IGN, that now an 8 is an "okay" game! What the ****?)
  9. blightedmythos

It makes sense to me with thousands of games to choose from these days only the upper echelon should get attention.
  10. squishypon3

You don't get it, every high price game, no matter how ****, is rated above 8 most of the time.

GTA IV (probably the worst in the series) was given a 10/10 by IGN for example.

You know something's wrong with the industry when people go crazy over a Gears of War game being given a 7. -.-
  11. squishypon3

12. blightedmythos

It's funny you mention GTA 4 because I think it's worst in the series as well.

I think there is some truth to that and ign argues that reviews aren't bought. Something I don't entirely agree.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Well, it is just the PC port. Really, it was just upgrading from the San Andreas engine to a new one which causes stripping of features like every other Assassin's Creed sequel, as well as a poor choice of overclunky character feel for realism which inhibits awesomeness which was fixed in GTA5. Anyway, the PC port is god awful, there is no soft turn in vehicles since button press is absolute, and every button references an xbox control instead, and windows live support died very early making the game derelict.

Only good part, was modding community, which is also the only surviving multiplayer community as well.
  14. blightedmythos

Yeah the missions were really repetitive too. They didn't have any of those over the top fun moments the previous games had. It also wasn't as big and didn't have the rural areas I loved form San Andreas. It also didn't have all the cool little extras like customizing your safe houses and buying lots of property.

I think Ign can definately be a sell out at times, It suprises me how well Call of Duty does every year when it's the exact same ****. On the other hand, some of their reviews are really spot on and helpful. They also review a lot of Indie games now. Shovel Knight for example did really well. I also agree with their Cities Skyline review (great game btw).
  15. thetrophysystem

Yeah, but they do inflate many AAA titles, and exaggerately deflate a lot of good games like Xenoverse and PA and stuff. I'd trust other sources before IGN.
  16. blightedmythos

That's why Ign is one of many tools. I often look at user reviews, watch a few youtube videos and read the ign review before a purchase something that is $60.
  17. thetrophysystem

Well, that's why I often look at user reviews that aren't just steam watch a few youtube videos and read the ign reviews before a purchaseing something that is $60.
    bengeocth likes this.
  18. zagra

zagra New Member

Any update on this?
  19. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

Wait, 60$-Games...
    ...WTF, this is clearly nonexistent stuff! Of course there are editions of PC-Games that do cost more than 60$...
    ...but pure games?! Never seen one... (at least none that didnĀ“t feature an insta-sale!)
    Last edited: April 17, 2015
  20. Corbo

Corbo New Member

...I think they are going to miss their 'Winter 2014' estimate.
    zagra likes this.