PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Like a red line show up around it's perimeter. Just for when you are placing the white frame. Honestly, I wouldn't mind this either.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

just throwingcthis in here ....

WE NEED MOAR RANKED MAPS ...

yes in caps ... because the current maps dont offer much variety ...
    and i would ask uber to consider working with the community on this one where people can share their maps ... @scathis kinda did way back were planet generation was still even younger ...
    so please let us have more maps that are not only for customgames ...
  3. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Big maps. Like that new map tvinita has been made tests on. I'd like 4 or 5 of that size.
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

random maps
  5. MrTBSC

random well ballanced maps
  6. cola_colin

Let's ask for realistic things first.
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. MrTBSC

i don't think those things are unrealistic ... but difficult to implement ...
  8. theseeker2

oh, please, you literally can't get more balanced than symmetry.
  9. cola_colin

Yet still people complain about the balance of our one totally symmetric playable faction all the time.
  10. temeter

temeter Well-Known Member

You shouldn't underestimate the design element of balancing. Coming from SC2, I've seen a lot of complaints about compositions not being fun to play against, even though it's atm considered balanced. Hence why nobody really likes protoss.^^'
    Last edited: March 9, 2015
  11. theseeker2

Yes, because the units aren't symmetrical... that faction has more than one unit. Symmetrical planets do not have more than one half - the second is identical.
  12. theseeker2

>nobody really likes the protoss
    nuh uh, I like my carrier blobs tyvm
  13. cola_colin

Exactly which is why you need humans to design maps. Perfect symmetry yields theoretical balance, but it isn't necessarily fun to play.
    Also I played protoss for quite a while and if you're zerg and you go muta harras you have no right to complain. :p
    temeter and thetrophysystem like this.
  14. temeter

Well, if a protoss is ever able to build a carrier blob, then it's 100% his opponents fault and i don't have any sympathy for him getting blown apart by an undefeatable army.:cool:

And that ofc also matters for the faction(s).
    Yeah, but zerg doesn't really have anything to counter protoss lategame. Aside from swarmhosts, which is basically self-mutilation.^^'
    I'm almost lucky as a terran player. As long as my opponent isn't using a combination of colossus/templar, a point at which i'm expected to transform into a korean pro.
  15. theseeker2

I roll the dice on heavy, heavy, heavy stealth, mobility, and carriers. I'll build lots of charge zealots and DTs, and carriers with mothership support. Which means I am basically fucked if enemy goes air before I get my first carrier. Of course, the nature of the protoss warping means that if I absolutely must, I can emergency warp a batch of stalkers, but I try to avoid that.
  16. cola_colin

I am currently trying to learn the other races and I am kinda having a hard time to play Z or T. YOU CANNOT WARP IN UNITS, wtf I am required to manage more than one waypoint.

Also this is the thread I can remember that devolves into a sc2 discussions. We need an update to the PTE to stop this :D
  17. theseeker2

warping up pls buff, need to be able to warp in carrier blob
    temeter and cola_colin like this.
  18. temeter

:D
    Terran is completely organic. All your build are exactly centered around of the idea of constant production, automatically creating timings and drop possibilities. You just need to find out where to attack. Dealing with harassment is mostly done by rerouting the reinforcement lines, so keeping up production is a priority.

That said, if you want to drive a terran insane: When armies are circling each other, warp in 2 or 3 grous of ~3 zealots and move command them each in a terrans base mineral line (3rd and 4rth) are best. Then instantly start the main engagement. It's completely impossible to actually deal with that stuff, especially when you already have a 200 supply army.

Eh, offtopic best topic.

Ofc, carriers are a huge gamble. Personally i'd actually try drops to either pull you apart and buy time for 2/3 reactor starport. Or stop you from expanding, whatever goes. If you manage to get a bunch of carriers and reach HT-tech, then you reached one of the most insane armies in the game. Even mass BC/viking/raven would have a hard time to deal with that.
  19. theseeker2

I played a 2v4 match, me and an AI against 4 hard AI and found that after I razed a base with my carrier blob, I'd have to go back and clean it out again, because the AI would just rapidly build the bases back up (causing me to divide my forces and lose a handful of carriers). That's a problem I've observed in multiplayer too, I just need to drop a few zealots to guard the razed areas. It's also absolutely critical that the carrier blob has a good economy behind it, if you take out the player's minerals, he can't replenish his interceptors - even if he's got 200/200 and he's not losing carriers, the interceptors drop like flies in major engagements. Running carriers is extremely expensive.
    Last edited: March 9, 2015
  20. cola_colin

@tvinita
    could you share maps you work on on system sharing? I'd like to play them in PTE games even when you are not around and I forgot to steal them when we played.
    You could also ask for more feedback that way.