Who wants to reboot Galactic War ?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, March 1, 2015.

?

Scrap GW and make new one?

1. Yay / Obi Wan Kenobi

79.3%
  2. Nay / The dress is gold and white I tell you!

6.9%
  3. Meh /other idea .....

13.8%
  1. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm not really sure why Trophy brought up the Vanguard thing here - nothing was disclosed about GW to Vanguards (way back when) that isn't already common knowledge to anyone with even a moderately close following of the game.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

you'll get bored of that as soon as you get good at the game.

it's only interesting to you to limit yourself and the AI because your reaction time is low and thus trying to handle all the techs and balancing it out as you play is stressful and too much.

I can only relate I've been there myself.

I'm just saying once it takes you a split second to answer "what unit is best in which situation" then you'll find it boring to be doing this question for a single situation for an hour.

you'll want to do it once per second with the situation changing every second.
    Zaphys likes this.
  3. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

Oh, what I said was common knowledge, we are who released the knowledge. The fact that I actually know the information I cited, is the important part. Idk, not elitist, but I feel like nobody remembers the issue we posted discussing GW. A lot of people know a more complicated part was scrapped for a revision, but not a lot of people remember the deep detail which we presented. Which is a shame. I guess you can bring a horse to water but can't make it drink. I love presenting really cool dev progress and information, but people don't remember them a year later.

To simply answer your question, I brought it up because otherwise, the next post would factually had been "How do you know what happened to the old dev working on galactic war? Source or lies". Then, I would have had to mention it anyway
  4. Pendaelose

Pendaelose Well-Known Member

I completely and 100% disagree. The reason I love the limited tech sets is because I DON'T have the "the best unit in this situation". As you said yourself... once you're familiar with the game it only takes a split second to know what you need to build... if that answer never changes... that's a dull game. And in skirmish the answer never changes.

I find skirmish dull and repetitive because I always have the best option available and it never changes. Skirmish gives no reason to ever go with a less than optimal start. It never forces you to work with a sub par situation, and honestly, it never forces you to be creative.

I like GW because sometimes I end up with a complete **** situation.... like the time my orbital commander had to conquer 3 planets before I got any tech that grants ground or air units. I had complete naval and orbital on a barren moon. My commander ran circles building base defenses while I scrambled to make enough anchors to protect him. It was actually a lot of fun, and I would have never played that way in a skirmish.
    Remy561 and blightedmythos like this.
  5. blightedmythos

blightedmythos Active Member

I agree with this also, having different win conditions or obstacles that change every map really add to the game. The problem is GW doesn't really do this as well as it could.
    Pendaelose likes this.
  6. tatsujb

it's confusing to me how you don't realize figuring out what you need to do when you DON'T have the number one unit for the situation is the exact same thing as figuring out what the best unit for the situation is.

you having fun figuring it out but to me it's blatant and obvious and a waste of my time.

My point still stands. back to trying to dismantle it.
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
  7. knoppiks

knoppiks New Member

Give me: "It was near the end of the war and after 4000 years the core empire stood on the brink of final victory over the arm rebellion. Arm forces throughout the galaxy where overwhelmed by the superior numbers and fighting power of ruthless core ....."
  8. tatsujb

I don't think it's even really a question of lore.