Question for Linux users

Discussion in 'Support!' started by jables, March 2, 2015.

1. jables

jables Uber Employee

Could I get a list of any reproducible Linux bugs? I'd like for us to do a pass on this, and would like a more current list. (we are also looking through the support forum, but this is your spot to just post it for the dev)

n00n, dukyduke, cdrkf and 4 others like this.
  2. SXX

SXX Post Master General

Sadly kind'a away from PA as busy on some feature for my another project, but from what I can say for sure you may consider re-enable "Persistent buffer mapping" aka GL_ARB_buffer_storage. :)

PS: Also already posted to Jorgen that some UI corruption in PTE on open source drivers is there and "--software-ui" still cause black screen on exit to main menu.
    Last edited: March 2, 2015
    n00n and DeathByDenim like this.
  3. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

This one is a rather weird one:
    PA#4277
    Basically, certain terrain features pop up in different places for Linux users. So, for example, Windows users would see a bridge on a metal planet, whereas that bridge would be invisible for Linux users. From the Linux perspective units would just walk over empty space across a trench. I've seen this bug around just a few days ago in the current stable, so it's still around. A lobby ID is listed in the bug report (15520606736343332384), but if it's no longer valid, I can probably generate a new one.

(And yes, the black screen with --software-ui that SXX mentioned is particularly annoying.)
    n00n likes this.
  4. pownie

pownie Active Member

I get this on Windows. HD4000 latest drivers.
  5. Fistons

Fistons New Member

Yeah, this one is pretty annoying. I use the Steam stable version only, on arch linux, pretty much up to date with a nVidia graphic cards (if it helps)
  6. DeathByDenim

Oh, right. I almost forgot this one: Clicking the video links doesn't work under Linux. No browser is opened.
    It's a small bug of course, but maybe it's easy to fix. :)
    n00n and dukyduke like this.
  7. DeathByDenim

About the CSG bug again:

I noticed that the replay in the bug report had expired, so I made a new one. Here are some boom bots near my base that are hidden inside a feature. I don't have Windows to test it out, but I assume that this is the same bug. Here is a screen shot of my boom bots. I turned on the attack radius so you can see them all.
    not_really_there.jpg
    The lobby ID is 13353965374497272852
    This is in the latest PTE (78886).

One thing to note is that I couldn't seem to reproduce this on any of the default maps. However, the first randomly generated map I tried had this problem. Maybe it's related somehow.

I have a NVidia GeForce GT 650M with the proprietary drivers (331.113) enabled, though as far as I can tell it happens for all Linux users.
    n00n likes this.
  8. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

I'll have to fire PA up on Linux again and see what I can dig up :) Still nice you guys support it. It will also be interesting to see what Linux performance is compared to windows (my FX appears to bottleneck my gpu terribly in Windows, will be interesting to see if Ubuntu is any different in this regard).
  9. DeathByDenim

And here is a screen shot of the UI corruption using open source drivers that I think SXX was talking about:
    ui corruption.jpg
    It goes away when you move your mouse over it. In my case, I was using the Intel drivers on a HD4000.
  10. DeathByDenim

Oh, and the reason I use --software-ui when using my dedicated NVidia Gefore GT 650M is because without that flag, PA looks like this:
    no_software_ui.jpg
    It also lacks a mouse pointer. That is to say, I have the default Ubuntu mouse cursor, but not the PA mouse cursor. To use the NVidia, I have to run PA through primusrun, that is:
    Code:
    primusrun ./PA
    I'm am not certain if this is a bug in PA or not, but a few other games I ran that way seemed fine. I don't even know if you have laptops in the office with hybrid graphics cards to even be able to reproduce this. Then again, you do seem to have support for NVidia Optimum technology in Windows. I think that was in one of the patch notes at some point.

For the record, starting PA like this works fine (apart from black screen after game mentioned earlier):
    Code:
    primusrun ./PA --software-ui
    , which is how I always play PA.
  11. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, so I've done some testing of the current stable build on Ubuntu 14.10, using AMD propitiatory drivers (latest) on the stable build.

Game runs fine actually, initially ran ok without software UI for an AI skirmish, however when entering a real game (2 v 2 non shared) the UI simply didn't load. Running with the --software-ui flag fixed the issue on reconnect, game ran fine, although I ran into the stuck at black screen bug.

Interestingly performance of this build appears to be equal or even a tad better on the same machine as in Windows? I was expecting a reduction in FPS based on earlier experience but not the case, so Kudos for that :)

I couldn't get the game to lauch on first attempt with the open source drivers, @SXX any advice on how to get those to work? I'm running an AMD R9 280 (Tahiti), so I would have thought it was supported?
  12. dukyduke

dukyduke Active Member

I haven't notice any recent graphic bug on PA stable under Linux but I still have this old AZERTY keyboard bug.

During beta this bug was also on windows but i has been squashed out for release but it still there on my PA under Linux :(

The bug is that some keys are wrongly placed, here are some example :
    bug_azerty.jpg

When I hit the '1' key it acts like the 'up' key...
    Fistons likes this.
  13. liamdawe

liamdawe Active Member

14. DeathByDenim

(By the way, it's not really "stuck". Resizing the window (or switching between full screen/windowed) will make the main menu appear again)
    cdrkf likes this.
  15. jables

jables Uber Employee

16. sarmad

sarmad New Member

PA hangs after I finish a game session. On the game results page when I click on "Main Menu" button the game hangs with a black screen. The mouse cursor continues to be there and controllable but the screen is black. The OS itself doesn't hang though, so I can Alt+F4 and launch the game again.
    However, this was from two months ago or more (can't remember exactly). I know there have been many updates since then but I didn't get a chance to try it after those updates.

My System:
    Samsung Chronos 7 laptop
    Intel i7 quad core, with Intel HD 3000
    ATI Radeon HD 6750m 1GB VRAM
    8GB RAM
    Fedora 20 (fully updated) with open source radeon driver
    The game is running from Steam using DRI_PRIME environment variable and using --software-ui argument.
  17. DeathByDenim

That's caused by the --software-ui argument (see second post in this thread). Though annoying, there is actually a workaround for that: Resizing the window (or toggling between full screen/windowed) will make the main menu appear again. That will save you a relaunch.

But I agree it needs to be fixed. :)
  18. spdr870

spdr870 New Member

For me the CSG bug mentioned by @DeathByDenim is the most important. Also, the client sometimes crashes to the desktop and then I need to reconnect. I cannot reproduce this though.

Other than that, I currently play the PTE a lot. The PTE is (as expected) very unstable for me. A lot of crashes. But I like the changes in PTE..:p
  19. tethyis

tethyis New Member

first off thanks for this special consideration, second consider checking out valgind www[dot]valgrind[dot]org/
    its been a giant help to me and my projects

two showstoppers in the PTE:
    coherent-ui will sometimes crash and fail to regenerate, while the game is still running, so the game is still working and sending frames to the screen, but no ui icon is selectable, including units and enemies(!)

in larger network games with multiple planets and battles the game will often crash taking the X server with it forcing me to ssh into the machine and kill the program remotely. my investigations point to a synchronization issue that spins wildly out of control, as sometimes the issue will slowly correct itself albeit after ten to fifteen minutes of gameplay, or a player dying.
    edit: may be related this bug PA#1639 but i typically play over WiFi
    Last edited: March 5, 2015
  20. Fistons

Fistons New Member

I have an AZERTY keyboard, and have this bug too. Maybe it explains why I am so bad at this game :p