Mod Market

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, February 23, 2015.

1. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

No, that is extremely false. What about the hawk´s european warfare of american conquest, or about the ultimate apocalypse mod ( not so sure if I wrote it well...) of Dawn´t at war. Or Sins of Solar empire.. Or Thranws revenge?, or about Republic at war? or countless mods of halflife?... And the list goes on.
    Just search a little before making such statements.
    I also remeber you that CS started as a mod, the same goes for Left for dead.
  2. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Original content is obviously fine. But the term total conversion usually refers to existing IP, hence the "conversion".
  3. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Not in my experience, I've played plenty of mods that describe themselves as total conversions that are entirely original. As far as I'm concerned it just refers to any mod that completely replaces the base game rather than adding more into it, eg. replacing every single unit in PA with different ones with different models that performed differently I would tentatively call a total conversion.

To OP, I feel like a mod marketplace would be a lot of work and potentially controversial. A built in mod manager, or even just a link to PAMM on the main menu, however, is something I've wanted since the beginning of beta and I still don't understand why Uber haven't taken this extremely simple step to boost the user base active in modding and getting involved in the community. I really can't see any drawbacks, and although I know nothing of coding, I can't imagine it's a hugely intensive task given the dividends.
    tatsujb, Pendaelose and Nicb1 like this.
  4. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I don't think this means what you think it means :p
  5. lapsedpacifist

Wouldn't even have to be built in! Just put a bar across the top saying 'PA mods - follow this link and check out PAMM for hours of modded fun times whoooo'.

You can't tell me that's gonna take uber more than a coupla hours at most.

Please be right, please be right...
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

You're posts are so fundamentally insulting to me that I'm finding it quite hard to compose myself.

A number of attempts have gone into composing this answer ; please appreciate how incredibly civil I'm electing to be after all, and given the circumstances and the time that went into writing and re-wrinting.

you could have chosen to neglect this forums history and not document yourself on previous threads on this matter even though I hinted at a topic heavily weighed with matter and history and instead have gone for the typical first-post negation.

I find this ....regrettable.

Please weigh your words more in the future.

I'll defer to previous threads to do the counter-argumentation (if there was an argument to begin with) for me.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/monetizing-mods.45957/
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/new-video-interview-with-jon-mavor-bob-berry.51191/
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/ranked-mods-idea-mock-ups.58227/
    stuart98 likes this.
  7. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

I was actually hoping modmarket mods folders could be encrypted by an uber cypher and thus safe from this.
  8. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

face it, most people think your work IS worth nothing and they wouldn't even consider buying it
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
  9. theseeker2

with the exception of sins, all those games you listed were absolute garbage, so their mods are also by default garbage
  10. lapsedpacifist

You, sir, are a professional opinion haver. Please refrain from stating them as fact
    Last edited by a moderator: February 23, 2015
    stuart98, cola_colin, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  11. KNight

KNight Post Master General

[​IMG]

Me and Hawkeye(along with other on and off) worked on BlackOps for about 4-5 years, not once were we asked about whether or not we accepted donations and I'm sure that had we asked the result would have been negligible. The problem is that when doing anything with donations you run that very fine line between people seeing it and just not caring/ignoring and it being brought up often enough or in poor fashion to actually turn people away.

Maybe it was just a sign of the times, but generally with the general lack of understanding of the design process by the majority of the Consumer base they just don't see the need for anyone to ask donations despite all the praise/awe they expression at a given project's accomplishments.

The Original point I believe Uber tried to make work with the idea of a Mod marketplace is that a lot of time modders are limited by the engine more so than anything else. Even when it comes to unit packs sometimes the code/code support needed for a particular weapon type/unit ability/whatever just doesn't exist or requires a very hackish solution to make it work on any level. The Mod Marketplace could have been a place to help grow the engine's capabilities with kickbacks for doing so.

I think the problem is that people instantly assume that if it becomes a thing the prices will be ridiculous and every mod and it's dog will charge those exorbitant prices without actually thinking about the obvious checks that would likely be built into the system. It was never intended to be a all encompassing system that was opt-in. Everything I've seen/read about it made it clear that it was meant for special cases and not an opt-in system at all.

The problem, as ever, is simply that people rely on knee-jerk reactions.

Mike
    stuart98, lokiCML, cola_colin and 5 others like this.
  12. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

If you pay for it you must also update your mod every month because Uber makes a lot of changes.
    Mods are usually made by 1 or 2 people so they don't have time for this. You see this when you start up pamm lots of mods don't even work anymore or are half broken. I don't wanna pay for something that works for couple months. Also don't have PayPal so I can't buy anything LOL. But I appreciate the work and time Moddershall put into this. Mostly they do it because they like to mod or change a game they like it to be. Normally they don't do it for you. When they do that yes they can ask money
  13. theseeker2

pfft, what makes those other games great? with the exception of halflife, sins, and CS, they were all massive flops.
    still, halflife is the most overrated game of all time, and CS is about as monotonous as monotonous can possibly get.
  14. KNight

What is your basis you saying this? After all, isn't part of the point of offering compensation is to make it easier for Modders to devote time to it? To further incentive-ize the work being done?

I mean, you're even assuming that all the mods are heavily dependent on PA instead of being their own thing. I mean sure should a PA Unit Pack be monetized it might require some updates, but I doubt it's require as many as you think it would. or a Total Conversion it's entirely possible to not need any updates once completed or only need updating with Uber introduces a new way of doing something that they needed/want to use because it's better than how they were doing something previously.

It's never Black and White, it's alway somewhere in between in the grey.

Mike
    stuart98 likes this.
  15. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Exactly so Uber needs to work or communicate with the Modders. Why are there so much mods in pamm that don't work. Uber is changing stuff like crazy and that's a good thing btw.
    I modded games myself (15 years ago lol) but those games didn't got any updates what so ever.

Modding should be done for fun and not for money. If you wanna have money for your mod then you should build a stand alone mod and ask Uber if that's possible. But I prefer dlc from Uber then paying for a mod that 1 guy made and after 1 update his mod is broken and he has school to do or work and he can't fix it.

It's not that easy any more for mod makers. Also Uber doesn't test there games if they break any mods with updates.

And then there's one thing. Mods can get you advantages what other people don't have. So you get a little bit like pay to win. Even now there are mods witch you can use online and make your game easier, it suprisses me that Uber allows this.
  16. lapsedpacifist

I'm not sure tbh, I haven't played them all. I just object to you stating your opinion on something as fact.

Also you can't really say 'with the exception of' and then name half of the total examples. That's not an exception, that's half.
    tatsujb likes this.
  17. zx0

zx0 Well-Known Member

Donations in modding community isn't a thnig because (almost?) no one asks for donations. The more modders start doing it the more normal it will become in public view and people will donate because it will be a cool thing to do to support your fellow mod creators.
    stuart98 likes this.
  18. KNight

Why are you demonizing modders? First you say this won't work because modders are "too lazy" to make any updated that might be needed, now you're saying we can't trust them because if they want to compensated in some way for their effort they're crooked?

Remember that not every mod is going to be monetized, that is clearly stupid. Keep in mind that it is not only uo to the Modder's choice if a mod is to be monetized. PAMM's library has no relevance to the validity of a Monetizing select mods as they each deal with different circumstances. They might both deal with mods but the manner in which they do so would be different.

It's not that simple. Just Because Modders start asking for donations does not mean donations will be given. Whether or not it would because a thing depends almost entirely on the mindset of the Consumer and right now they simply don't see it as something they should seriously consider. Webcomics or Web Shows and such on services such as Patreaon are slowly making head way in that regard but they exist in an entirely different environment to Gaming. All you need to do is look at some of hte Knee jerk reactions to any form of DLC/P2P/Micro Transactions(regardless of the factual validity of the service in regards to any specific implementation) to see why donation isn't wide spread. The root cause isn't on the Modder's shoulders, but the Industry's.

Mike
  19. theseeker2

sins is not half of the examples you listed.
    CS and halflife were bad but still sold well
  20. theseeker2

Of course it's the consumer's problem, the point is just that either:
    1. if you're open to donations, hardly anybody' going to donate
    2. if you make it a paid-for mod, you're going to have a really hard time getting many players - consumers already don't like paying for official DLCs, much less unofficial mods.

I just think option 1 is better because you'll get a larger playerbase for your mod, even though you'll likely make less money.
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
    goofyz3 likes this.