PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

so in other words you like to give critic but are unwilling to take critic yourself ...
    igncom1 likes this.
  2. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

It's not variety. it's plagued by bugs and doesn't work well. Variety for variety's sake is not what we are going for here. I want a T2 Bomber I would be interested in using. Right now I just have something that could be super OP if we gave it more range, or completely stupid if we didn't. Even a FaF strat bomber would be a better idea.
    warrenkc and stuart98 like this.
  3. MrTBSC

imo just replacing it with (or even including along with) a aoe drop stratbomber would introduce the issue of eventualy turning t1 bombers redundant as it is already a unitblobbuster .. as were the current hornet serves as a structure/single-highhp-target -buster
    i say give it the time to be tweaked ..
  4. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

We at any rate should keep the long range one. Just because it is a longrange option. The way it "works" now, it should probably be a variety of gunship given it doesn't fly but hovers. (or made to do "passes" at a range because I know it's possible)

We could honestly use a strat bomber too. It just has to be expensive and slow and squishy ish, but their damage lethal. Some balance of that.

If you want the longrange one to do more, make it able to target land and air, limiting it's range and rate of fire to comphensate, and modifying it's damage where it overkills air but does enough damage to land.
    warrenkc likes this.
  5. MrTBSC

here is the thing with stratbombers ... we kind of have a unit that serves a similar ( if not actualy the same) role in the form of the ssx ... it destroys both unitblops and high hpstructures fairly easily and as mentioned while more expensive it is also a saver option imo as its strongest counters would be umbrellas and anchors ... so personaly if possible i would like to see more orbital support to be included for competitive matches ... so maybe reducing the metalcost of both the orbital launcher and the orbital factory to a degree?
  6. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I think we change it to a strike bomber, instead of being so slow, make it able to fly really fast in a straight line, but have terrible turning, that way you have to commit to a run in advance.

then have it fire off like, 3 or 4 missiles in a flurry as it approaches its target, and then it goes off on a really long and wide turning circle to attempt to come around again.

that way, it's pretty powerful, and can be used for strategic strikes, but is hard to use, because you need to be able to set it up on a long startup run and hope you dodge enough of the flak. 3 or 4 missiles in a single volley might sound OP, but we do have countermeasures like sniper bots, and if you didn't plan properly, they'd likely only survive as long as their first run, if that.

This would make the T2 bomber useful for fast striking (like air units should be) and also make them a scary prospect for anyone defending against them, while still being able to be dealt with using proper precautions and counters.
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
    mered4 likes this.
  7. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Btw. As i understand deepspace radar still can detect orbital units in 1000 sight radius?

So can you add real "sight circle" in game? I want to hold "ctrl" and see sight radius like i see range of my units.
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
    ViolentMind and andrehsu like this.
  8. mered4

Now that orbital's celestial radar has been fixed, all the things we orbital guys have been playing with for two years now will finally rise to the surface.

@emraldis knows exactly what I mean. We literally said this exact thing right after the patch hit PTE for the first time.

Then there was some nervous laughter and a *maybe someone else will notice this too* comment.
    emraldis likes this.
  9. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

Why not make the commander invincible to boom not snipe by letting the commander have boom bot armor
  10. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

it exists already, it's called 20 dox assisting the commander at all times.
    Zaphys, pieman2906 and ViolentMind like this.
  11. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Can someone please explain how do i install this pte build in steam and can you still play online after this?
  12. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

goofyz3 likes this.
  13. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

A Tier II "classic" bomber would totally ruin the role of the Kestrel, which is just perfect right now!
    What Hornets do need to be really good is a good, clever AI! Right now (a problem with other units as well!) they tend to waste their range and fly into enemy AA. If you micro them (read as: Correct these AI-fails manually), they are pretty strong if not even OP! (but, in return, one of your teams players will get a full-time hornet micro-job...)
    This should be fixer; your APM should never be wasted to buggy unit-AI!
    MrTBSC likes this.
  14. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

This is a test how to become a good writ
    Thanks dude. Is there also an option to delete the previous files. Or is it just deselect it and everything is normal again?
  15. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

The PTE is a complete separate copy of the game, so it'll take up more room on your hard drive, but you can switch between them instantly.

If you want to free up space, you can go into your game folder and delete the PTE folder when you no longer want to play it. You of course could redownload it at any time.
  16. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

The stable is 1 build of the game, the pte is another build. You can play both at the same time, launching whichever one you prefer to play. You can switch from one to the other.

The thing is, Stable is a long-running version of the game, and PTE is a frequently updated version with new ideas "tested" in it and sometimes things like GW and Replays break in it. If PTE is looking good, it is fully fixed and the Stable is updated with the PTE. Then, they come up with some new random crap for another PTE and then you have THAT stable and THAT pte.

So, dw about deleting files. Updates to PTE will overwrite PTE, updates to Stable will overwrite Stable.

ProTip: Usually if a new Stable build comes out, and you have had the last PTE, copy-paste that PTE into Stable and THEN update because your update will be smaller as PTE will be really similar to Stable.
  17. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

To further illustrate what JWest was saying about the Random system generation, currently we only get the one list of 5 random systems with the press of the Random button. I like that it presents a list to choose from, but to actually get a different distribution of Random systems, you need to check/uncheck either the Symmetrical or Large Planets buttons to get one. It would be more intuitive to just click on the Random button again.
    upload_2015-2-22_17-32-27.png

Also, I agree about the Random systems option generating a disproportionately high number of water planets. However, an alternative to this implementation that would solve the problem and make it so that you didn't have to keep regenerating a new list of Random systems to get the mix that you wanted, is to just use something like @yarmond's Awesome System Generator Mod (pictured below). That way, the players can generally get what they want each time.

upload_2015-2-22_17-47-14.png
    Last edited: February 23, 2015
    JWest, ArchieBuld and mered4 like this.
  18. mered4

That's beyond awesome. I didn't even know it existed! Wow.
  19. websterx01

websterx01 Post Master General

Isn't this what the system designer does?

Edit: its still cool, and great for on the fly creation, but it seems a bit silly to include in the RANDOM system generator.
  20. mered4

Isn't that really buggy and not in the game lobby?