About tunnels and viaducts

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by superouman, February 9, 2015.

1. superouman

superouman Post Master General

With my latest map, i experimented with viaducts and tunnels. There is a few side effects that have risen from that :
    • You can build on top of the viaduct from the level below
    • You can't control your units easily in the tunnel (move orders are given on the viaduct if you click with a top view)
    • Tunnels provide absolute shelter against bombers and parabolic missiles
    • All shots are entirely blocked under the CSG
    Do you think, if there wasn't the game breaking invibible wall bug, would competitive 1v1s be viable?

Building from below
    PA 2015-02-09 19-44-47-32.jpg

View of the tunnel
    PA 2015-02-09 20-25-43-58.jpg

Shots are entirely blocked in the tunnel
    PA 2015-02-09 20-26-19-84.jpg

Top view of the layout
    PA 2015-02-09 20-26-43-02.jpg
    Remy561, cdrkf, tatsujb and 3 others like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think the main question that cannot be solved by just fixing bugs is: How do you handle the camera?
    MrTBSC likes this.
  3. superouman

If the tunnel isn't too long, you can see and give orders when you look at the runnel from the side. Yup, it's not very practical but it's doable. And both players have the same disadvantage so it kind of balances out.

My mouse cursor is where the vehicle factory is.
    PA 2015-02-09 20-52-40-18.jpg
    tatsujb likes this.
  4. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

idk, but if we sort that out I could make a map where you are cornered in a cave and several AIs are assaulting the cave. Your goal would be to defend for an arbitrary amount of time and then a leak of lava would start in the back and slowly rise through the cave, forcing you out into the open to finally attack the AIs and win.
  5. cola_colin

that reminds me of how clunky the orbital UI is. No fun.
  6. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

There'd have to be some sort of quick-toggle for "under-CSG" layer I guess?

There'd also have to be a "under-CSG" layer
  7. cola_colin

I think a possible solution would be in the area of transparency of objects, but not sure how the camera should know what you want to see right now. A button seems not very user friendly.
  8. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

yes obviously.

and more than viable!

and not only 1v1!

this map is amazing!
  9. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

You have to have a quick toggle hotkey for the free camera mode and you can control that stuff decently if the viaduct is high enough from the ground.
  10. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

you would have to start somewhere ...
    i suppose the solution would be to make the view autotoggle/providing transperancy and/or make units fade out/be unselectable you donĀ“t want to control between layers depending on how close you are to certain objects/units but that would be fairly difficult and complex to implement ...
  11. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

could another method of keeping track what happens under tunnels. Just be the units are seen through the tunnel ceiling but as a wire mesh to indicate that it is in-fact under ground? would be easier than trying to get the camera underground? like wise with enemies for radar maybe a hashed dot instead of a normal one and obviously when in sight range become wire meshes (colour coded obv)
  12. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

also could add strategic value to controlling tunnels as t2 artillery wouldn't work as the shells arc into the ceiling so a relatively harass free route to what ever section of the map it ends up at (with the exception of the tac missles from t2 bots?)
  13. pizzalover3000

pizzalover3000 Active Member

WOW, I love this idea. This map is insane! I think a viable solution would be for camera anchors to be used. Please continue to work on this!
  14. superouman

I'm bumping this thread because i'd like to know why units can't shoot in tunnels. Any uberdev knows something?
  15. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Did you try to make the ceiling of the tunnels a bit higher? My guess is that they are using some geometric approximation for collision checking but this approximation isn't fine enough to resolve the free space within the tunnels.
  16. superouman

I'll try going that. I also tried with the metal planet CSG which has a tunnel by default and it didn't work.

So i tried doing a very tall tunnel and the shots are still blocked as soon as a unit shoots.
    Last edited: February 22, 2015
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General