PTE build 79270-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 16, 2015.

1. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Everything I see looks good....

Except gunships.

The symptom (and something everyone's been mentioning, including myself) is that gunships are too expensive. This isn't the actual problem. The real issue is that the gunship is a high powered version of the slammer, but it flies and stuff. We need to give it a specific role or something. It really doesn't matter what role it takes. It only matters that it doesn't perform the role of a bomber, just cheaper/more expensive.

It can be a tanky gunship with low DPS, or it can be a fragile gun-and-run vessel. Or it could be both, but slow and maybe with a bit of a spread.
    It really doesn't matter. It just needs something to differentiate from the bomber besides constant DPS (which really isn't that helpful right now, especially with how powerful AA is.).
    ArchieBuld likes this.
  2. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

HHYYYPPPPPPPPEEEEEEEEEEEE
    websterx01 likes this.
  3. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

Avengers cant hit orbital fabber

xankar, mjshorty and cola_colin like this.
  4. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Any changes for ARKYD's and Advanced Radar Satellite's orbital sight radius?
  5. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Um, what?
    liltbrockie and websterx01 like this.
  6. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

Wow I have never seen that reported before, but I can confirm it is happening to me as well. Cannot select a commander in Galactic War while not logged in to playfab. I assume it's just something in the javascript blocking it but coherent shows no errors
  7. SXX

SXX Post Master General

In fact it's was reported before. :)
  8. brandonpotter

brandonpotter Well-Known Member

Indeed it has been :p

Alotta people been waiting for the fix :p
  9. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

The SAVE/LOAD??????????? Yesssssssssss...........
  10. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Leveler also got a 50% HP buff.

What is with 'ground_ammo_spec'; it seems like an odd thing to be using with air PBAOE?

A randomization of the landing positions was removed; perhaps 'landing zone bug' was the asymmetric spawns on symmetric planets?
    ace63 likes this.
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Oh wow. I need to try those tomorrow. So far when I got the chance to go t2 I usually went bot because it seemed like the default good choice. This might change that.
  12. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

Hm. Where information? Or you tested it in game? Looks like too big buff...
  13. mered4

WHOA. That's big. That's really big. :D
    mjshorty likes this.
  14. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach New Member

I remember having that same issue in an older patch... hmmm I think 3 weeks ago...

Really like the changes to the Leveler haven't had a chance to do much testing with it, but I think it definitely could now be a viable unit to use. The main question remains though would it be worth using versus the Gil-E

Regarding the Kestral... something I thought of a while ago (1.5 months or so) but never posted it is possibly giving the Kestrel an AA missile so that it would be a true gunship capable of defending itself and attacking ground. Regarding the recent re-addition of the T2 fighter, what if the Kestrel was somewhat merged with the T2 fighter. This would create really a dedicated Orbital invasion unit capable of attacking orbital and ground. For balancing reasons its ground attack would probably have to be nerfed and its metal cost increased. But just something that would give it a real role in the Meta.
  15. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Oh... that aoe death damage makes me sad face though i guess it was necessary due to power of bomber swarm past a certain critical mass.

I wonder if you can kill enemy commanders with this though. Like assist it with 400 fighters to guarantee a win xD.
  16. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Make it outrange tier 1 aa trucks (as well as focus them down first by default) and you have an anti army unit that still goes down to fighters and bases, but can harass armies with no air cover
    dmorchard and philoscience like this.
  17. mered4

I like that idea - thought I'm a little cautious that it will lead to gunship spam to counter army spam. Which, while not entirely a bad thing (supcom FAF has this in varying forms, and it works because teching), could invalidate armies that aren't saturated in AA, forcing the enemy to abandon defenses around mex expansions that aren't already heavily fortified.

I think, however, that it SHOULD be balanced around being a soft counter to T1 AA, but not against AA towers.

Expanding that thought process to the orbital layer, they would make the ultimate defense against Unit Cannons filled with Spinners. Which would lead to more gunship spam.

Ouch.

Since Unit Cannons are the "ultimate weapon" in the orbital layer at this point, that could be good or bad....depending on how much you enjoy stalemate play.
    Tripod27 likes this.
  18. mered4

The bomber spread increase was pretty effective at stopping the commander snipe, or at least delaying it.

This will seal it for good, methinks. Getting up enough T1 bombers and/or microing them will require tremendous effort.
  19. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

kestral should shoot AA first.
  20. andrehsu

andrehsu Active Member

So can holkins and pelters shoot over walls? How about missiles and shellers?