Sunday livestream

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by Sorian, February 14, 2015.

1. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

@tvinita should do a "AMA" style balance stream where people can just suggest random balance changes (even if total cheese :) ) and he'll do them and host a game with them. Server mods would make this quick and easy. Who knows, might actually find something really fun.
    cdrkf, squishypon3, drz1 and 3 others like this.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

that actually sounds like a fun event.
    cdrkf and squishypon3 like this.
  3. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Pretending to understand what was going on made me feel like a more intelligent and fulfilled person
    someonewhoisnobody and drz1 like this.
  4. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

@sorian Thank you for the awesome stream!

You talk about the "intel points" and the "influence map" during this stream, which you say are both used for AI pathing decisions. I am wondering: is terrain taken into account in either of these? If it were, would it be possible to make the AI prioritize control of choke points in a map by identifying intel points with adjacent obstacles to pathing?
    cdrkf likes this.
  5. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I love watching you work on the ai :)
    I was always interested in how such systems are developed and that you are working in C++ makes me feel nostalgic (I took my first steps in real programming in C++) and motivates me to get into that again.
  6. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

@sorian , when editing the JSON around 1:39:00, you needed to add that the Kraken T2 Missile sub can be built by the advanced naval factory, not basic. Just a heads-up.
    whisperr and stuart98 like this.
  7. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Yep, fixed that after the stream. Thanks.
    whisperr, cdrkf and stuart98 like this.
  8. arm2thecore

arm2thecore Active Member

@sorian Thank you for the stream. That was really cool - and also educational. Embarrassingly enough I had no idea about the new range-based for iterators in C++11 - those kick butt! SO much more convenient for vector iteration!

A few goofy questions and one serious one at the bottom, if you have time to answer them.

When you came back from break, at about 1:24:15, you said "needed water, badly." Was that a reference to the video game Gauntlet?

If I remember correctly in a livestream for PA's release, you were drinking Glenmorangie. Does that indicate that you generally prefer non-smoky Scotch?

I kind of like the sound of the keyboard you used in the video, and I can tell that it's not a mechanical. My guess is a Dell with low-profile keycaps. What is it actually?

The serious question: I've been interested in neural networks for 10+ years, but never have taken the time to read or learn more about them. What resources/books do you consider most valuable in your collection?

Thanks, Michael!
  9. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Not intentionally.

Yep, but I am always open to new things.

This is my keyboard: http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-Mechanical-Keyboard-Tactile-High-Speed/dp/B009C98NPY/

I don't have any books on neural networks. Everything I have gathered has come from the internet, which is not always easy.

The only book I ever used (which was GPG's book, not mine) was AI for Game Developers. I can't truly recommend it because the pseudo code in the book is flawed. I am sure there are good neural network books out there, I just don't know of any. I don't really know anyone that uses them, so getting recommendations is damn near impossible.
    cwarner7264 likes this.
  10. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

11. arm2thecore

Guess I failed miserably on the keyboard sound, considering that IS a mech. :)

Thank you for the responses.
  12. arm2thecore

cwarner7264 likes this.
  13. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I'm surprised they don't mention that in the product description as a selling point!
  14. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

My keyboard's 12 dollars and I ripped the power down key out and threw it in the garbage because it was right above the backspace

Get on my level skrubs
  15. nixtempestas

I'm using the HP keyboard that came with the desktop. Not exactly top end...

to be fair, at least it has the normal US layout, retailers have an annoying tendency in Canada to sell computers, especially laptops, with French Canadian keyboards, even though only ONE PROVINCE speaks a significant amount of french...
    tommybananas and Tripod27 like this.
  16. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

I know right? and there's some random keyboard combination that switches it over to french without you knowing, and all of a sudden all your question marks come out as capital Es with little slashes on top that take forever to figure out how to turn off
  17. nixtempestas

That used to drive me mad! eventually found out how to remove the layout option from the OS.
  18. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

@sorian so I was just testing out the spawns on my planet with some AI, and then sat around a little longer to check if any of my planets would collide, and while I was waiting, I saw one of your AI transport an air fabber with an astraeus

I DIDN'T EVEN KNOW YOU COULD TRANSPORT AIR WHY DIDN'T ANYBODY TELL ME THIS WHAAARRRGARBL
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Only fabbers I believe
  20. towerbabbel

towerbabbel Active Member

There is a really nice beta ebook about neural networking at http://neuralnetworksanddeeplearning.com with new chapters showing up every once i a while.