[WIP] DirectEdit 0.5.0

Discussion in 'Work-In-Progress Mods' started by guest1, February 5, 2015.

1. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Sure! That's on my list of stuff to implement, I'll make it a priority for the next release.

That's a very cool utility you've made, by the way. I notice you posted something in the other thread about integrating it into DirectEdit, and I am 100% on board with this idea. There are some implementation details to resolve, but I'd love to see people use this mod as a platform for their own editor enhancements.
    zihuatanejo likes this.
  2. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Oh well, if it is already on y our list of things to implement, that's super sweet! And if you can prioritise it, even sweeter.

And thanks! I'm fleshing it out right now to be more rounded, useful, and user-proof, in preparation for properly releasing it. Equidistant metal spot distribution for large planets seems to be particular good for gameplay, particularly for FFAs.
    guest1 likes this.
  3. destravous

destravous Member

Can we get a feature to export a pas file directly from direct edit? This way you could backup your system before closing the editor in case pa screws up.
    guest1 likes this.
  4. guest1

guest1 Active Member

That's on the to-do list, but it's lower priority than most of the other planned features. When I get around to it there will be buttons for save and export, as well as to share your system if System Sharing is installed. I'll also be putting in a way to add System Sharing metadata like map version and description. Possibly an auto-save of some kind, too; haven't looked into how I could code that yet.
    destravous likes this.
  5. guest1

guest1 Active Member

New version now available: 0.4.0
    New features:
    • Metal spot list
    • Tools for metal spot symmetry
    • Landing zone list
    • Tools for landing zone symmetry
    • Planet tools
      • Resize: change a planet's radius and adjust all CSG, spawns and metal points to match!
    I've also included some documentation about adding new tools; @zihuatanejo I can help you convert your metal generator to a planet tool if you're interested.

We're now pretty much feature-complete I think. I'll be doing some work on the layout / CSS and putting together in-game documentation, and after that's done I'll put it on PAMM.
    zihuatanejo and proeleert like this.
  6. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

Sweet, nice work! Will check it out as soon as possible. I'm a bit swamped with other things right now but when I do polish up that particlar project of mine, I'll let you know and we can try and integrate it :)
    guest1 likes this.
  7. destravous

destravous Member

Awesome! I might have to try making some tools myself soon. :cool:
    For the rotate brush tool, any ideas on how to fix the final rotation? I spent an entire afternoon trying to fix it with no luck, though it seems you need to set the rotation based on the z axis of the brush. Its only when this value on the brush is changed that the rotation messes up it seems.
    Last edited: February 24, 2015
    guest1 likes this.
  8. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I've been thinking about how to do this for a while now. Should be able to do it by converting the position + rotation of each brush to a rotation matrix, multiplying that by the matrix stored in the rotate tool, and then converting back to position + rotation; I'll test this out when I have the time. Let me know if you come up with a more elegant way of making it work.
  9. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

I saw someone do that, I never asked them how they did it...
    I should have.
  10. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

I've tried to edit a gas planet to 400 radius. It does that, with only one problem; when I get in game, the radius appears to be a lot more than that, but less than 1000.

Help?
    Last edited: March 7, 2015
  11. tesseracta

tesseracta Active Member

12. guest1

guest1 Active Member

New version now available: 0.4.1

Overhauled the CSS and page layout. No major feature additions, but everything looks and feels much better.
  13. theiban

theiban Member

How can I get the "properties and simmetry" window to set the rotation and other values of the panet?
  14. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Can I get a screenshot of what specifically you're talking about? It's hard to tell from that description.

You can set all planet properties from the Planet tab after reading a planet. Keep in mind that you have to click Write afterward to put your edited planet into the system.
  15. theiban

theiban Member

Thankyou Guest1, what I mean is about the panel that I can see in your images, "Properties/simmetry", where you can set the form of the planets.
    What I want to do is to adjust the speed of a planet rotation about his axis, and experiment with other forms for the planets.

Can we set the speed of the traslation movement too?

I am having problems to set the traslation movement direction with some planets, when I save the system their direction changes, and there are some planets that doesnt accept my changes in CSG. Am I the only one who has that issue?

Last question: what does "CSG" mean? (excuse my poor english)

Attached Files:

guest1 likes this.
  16. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Okay, I see the source of confusion. The panel you've circled from the OP image shows the properties of a particular CSG brush, which is something like a mountain or a valley; you can select these from the CSG tab in the main panel.

Changing the rotation field you're looking at will change how the selected brush is rotated on the planet.

Unfortunately, it's not possible to set the speed at which a planet rotates about its axis. If you want to edit a planet's orbit, I recommend the excellent Genesis Device mod.

The panel you have open in your first image allows you to set every planet property that PA allows us to change.

CSG stands for Constructive Solid Geometry. In PA, the geometry of a planet is constructed by generating the heightmap and applying each CSG brush in sequence. Brushes may add or subtract terrain, and they have various ways of bending over the planet's curvature.

Hope this helps!
    theiban likes this.
  17. theiban

theiban Member

I have an issue to report: I shared the map "Hunter's Trap" and when I loaded it from the shared systems menú, for a multiplayer game, the CSGs had changed so in the shared map.
    In the first image we can see the planet Hunter's Hutch from my local archives and in the second image is Hunter`s Hutch loaded from shared systems.

I loaded the same map from shared system with the System Designer and the CSG where as the original map I designed, it only changes when the map is loaded for a gameplay.

Attached Files:

18. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Please help for I is no00b; can't seem to find the folder where i should be extracting this into

I'm currently looking at D:\Steam\SteamApps\common\Planetary Annihilation, but there doesn't appear to be a Mods folder in there

what I do? :(
  19. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

"C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation"
  20. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Edit: Turns out vast numbers of folders were set to hidden, for no apparent reason. After fixing that, I'm faced with another issue that i can't find

C:\...\Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\mods"

I can find
    C:\...Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\client_mods
    and
    C:\...Uber Entertainment\Planetary Annihilation\server_mods
    Last edited: March 21, 2015