The 'help me choose hardware to run PA' megathread

Discussion in 'Support!' started by cwarner7264, August 7, 2014.

1. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

well, is this the right spot to give the Dxdiag?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Only if you want to upgrade your hardware. :)
    Just make a new thread. :)
  3. KnavishPlum

KnavishPlum Active Member

oh, I'm new to this so...
  4. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

After 2 months of nightmare with the other supplier I managed to get my money back and order my PC at another supplier. It's here now and guess what's downloading :D
    DeathByDenim and cdrkf like this.
  5. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach New Member

So I'm looking into building a new computer not exclusively to play PA but its definately something I want to make sure runs well on it. So I went over to PC part picker and went through parts etc... and would like to get some feedback on what I have so far.

CPU: AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor ($99.99 @ SuperBiiz)
    CPU Cooler: Xigmatek Prime SD1484 90.3 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler ($29.99 @ Amazon)
    Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver Ceramique 2 Tri-Linear 25g Thermal Paste ($5.98 @ OutletPC)
    Motherboard: ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($60.66 @ Newegg)
    Memory: G.Skill Ares Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2400 Memory ($73.98 @ Newegg)
    Storage: Western Digital RE3 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($49.00 @ Amazon)
    Video Card: MSI GeForce GT 630 4GB Video Card ($83.98 @ Newegg)
    Case: Raidmax ATX-321WB (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($46.99 @ Directron)
    Power Supply: EVGA 600B 600W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply ($40.98 @ Newegg)
    Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer ($14.98 @ OutletPC)
    Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND 802.11b/g/n PCI-Express x1 Wi-Fi Adapter ($14.50 @ Mwave)
    Case Fan: Enermax UCTB12 42.1 CFM 120mm Fan ($7.99 @ Directron)
    Total: $529.02
    [\spoiler]
  6. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Hi, so I see your going for a budget build. I hate to say this as an amd user, but you should probably go with an Intel processor. recent benchmarks put a haswell core i3 ahead of the fx8320 in the majority of workloads and way ahead in games. If you do go amd don't get the 6200 either as that's a bulldozer based part. The 6300 is a newer piledriver based cpu that costs about the same.

Final thought, if you can stretch to it spend more on the Gpu. A gt 630 is real entry level kit, the integrated graphics on a modern Intel cpu will likely keep up with it. If your looking for best value many of the Radeon cards are better. As a minimum look at the r7 250x, or preferably the 260x. Both these cards will mop the floor with a 630 whilst not costing that much.
  7. TheFinitePeach

TheFinitePeach New Member

Thanks for the info. So I looked back, read some more reviews and I switched out the following parts.
    AMD FX-4350 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor replaces the AMD FX-6200 3.8GHz 6-Core Processor
    ASRock 970 Extreme3 R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard replaces the ASRock 970 Pro3 R2.0 ATX AM3+
    Sapphire Radeon R7 260X 2GB Video Card replaces MSI GeForce GT 630 4GB Video Card
    cdrkf likes this.
  8. cdrkf

Yeah that should perform much better.
  9. nonameo

nonameo New Member

Hi guys, I want to play PA and I'm trying to figure out if I can acceptably get away with what I have.

I have a inspiron 530 and unfortunately it is the socket 775 variant motherboard that does not support quads. So how much hurt will I be feeling with the fastest dual core I can put in here? I can get an E8600 relatively cheaply, about 25 dollars which is just a tad bit cheaper than a new motherboard and CPU. I have 8gb of ram, so that should be no problem most of the time. I will also need to upgrade the video card as I just have some craptastic dx9 card in there now. I'm looking at ATI cards simply because they're so much cheaper, I see people posting 5850's on anandtech for the 35-45 range and I've already seen a 5770 run PA just fine. The cheapest GT 460 I can find is in the 50-60 range.
    cdrkf likes this.
  10. cdrkf

How's your internet connection? If it's good then you can play all your games online, which removes a lot of the work off your pc. For online play an e8600, 8gb of ram and a hd 5xxx series card should be fine for medium settings. One thing to keep in mind, you may need to upgrade your psu for a higher performance graphics card. Also don't buy second hand for psu. If you need a decent supply for cheap look at the corsair cx range. A cx 500 can be picked up for around 40 quid. Don't be tempted by an unbranded 'oem' supply with a high rating for very little money (eg 750 oem psu, £20) as those things are terrible. Ideally look for a supply with a single high current 12v rail (the cheap supplies will quote 4 x 10A 12v, whereas you really want 1 x 40A to run a stable gpu).
    nonameo likes this.
  11. nonameo

nonameo New Member

Strangely enough, I already have a pretty decent 550w cpu. My computer is kind of a hodgepodge of finds and trades over time >_> And yeah my internet connection is pretty decent, 30-50 down and a consistent <30ms ping to the closest ookla servers.

I figure if I can save some money, I can then afford to put some money into a small SSD too, which will just be a boon all around for more than just PA.

Thanks for the quick response :)
    cdrkf likes this.
  12. cdrkf

In that case I think you'll be fine. For context I run PA fine on my laptop, which is a first gen i5 460m (dual core with HT @2.4ghz), 8gb ram and a lowly GT 420m gpu (about same raw performance as an old HD4670 I had some time ago). By fine, I get a comfortable 40+fps at game start at 1366 x 768 resolution, low settings. Late game it manages to maintain 20fps unless the map is very big- which for PA is perfectly playable (unless you want to take on someone in the top 10 at 1 v 1 at any rate :p). I think that a desktop Core 2 duo 8600 should be faster than that, everything else will be just fine.

Out of interest if you did want to build new, your best bet is pick up a cheap Intel motherboard and get your mits on a Haswel (4xxx seriese) Core i3, though that will invariably cost quite a bit more than your thinking.