Why is reclaiming consuming energy?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by exterminans, February 10, 2015.

1. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What I am saying is that as long as the economy is largely energy limited (it got better for sure, but energy is still pretty important) it probably won't be very helpful any time soon to do something that converts energy into metal at a small scale. Late game nobody will care and earlier nobody will be willing to give up energy to get metal.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

if it´s about damaging then they should be far less efficient in that ... again those are builders/engineers/medics in their roles ... they are not meant to be used to attack ...
  3. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Kinda love how we always complain about something else :p

First naval, then orbital balance and now reclaiming is the main thing :p
    igncom1 and DalekDan like this.
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I always complained about how we practically have no reclaiming in the game. :p
    Remy561 and philoscience like this.
  5. MrTBSC

oh there are still a fair number of buildingsites in PA to be done ...
    Remy561 likes this.
  6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

Not sure how you got -80% cost. The best you could do (if you lived dangerously) is -49% cost and -98% hp because half the metal is in the wreckage. Given that I don't think your fabber ratio would work, except later in the process when the building side has gotten farther ahead. It's all nitpicking though, the technique does work as long as you have the micro to spare and don't expect to need those extra HP.
  7. tenaciousc

tenaciousc Active Member

This is perfect!
  8. trialq

trialq Post Master General

I don't think you can reclaim until the building is complete, and I think live units yield 60% of the metal when reclaimed, so wrecks should be 40%.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I've used this practicing annihilaser races. When I run out of metal, switch one of four fabs from build to reclaim.

60/40 is within the margin of error to 50/50, but the impression I got from my testing is that a unit has one part of the metal in life and wreckage_health_frac in death.

And then of course there are all the rounding errors in the economy.... ;^)
  10. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

Bit of brief testing there; reclaiming live structures is a straight up 100% conversion rate. Also, it takes less than 10 seconds for 5 combat fabbers to make an orbital launcher disappear (styx hax anyone?)
  11. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

I'm not complaining that we are complaining, it only makes the game better!! :D

I just find it funny that we complain a lot about X, it gets fixed and then Y is the next complain subject :p
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  12. MrTBSC

seriously ... i don´t see PA going anywhere but up ... the only worryingfactor is exposure i think ...
    the outdated reviews and missinformation to PA are a pain though ...
    Nicb1, Remy561 and DalekDan like this.
  13. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

They get a huge health, which they lose as you reclaim them. Plus, you oft could not actually store in order to use what you reclaim when doing big projects like that. All it takes is a player landing t1 units to kill a catalyst that way.

And combat fabbers being units capable of destroying some units better than others, is also tactical. Basically gives you a comprehensive second way to damage something. A way that many frontline combat units actually recieve damage slower.

And wrecks, they would work a lot better if they broke down, but they still work the best where they don't, dependent on luck, block the fire of someone's units randomly.
  14. Dementiurge

Dementiurge Post Master General

We could always complain about everything in the game all at once if you'd prefer. But then somebody would start throwing around the word "toxic" again.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  15. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Tested it on an adv. bot factory, at a 2:1 ratio, the HP were in equilibrium. So it appears to be 50/50 indeed.
  16. Sinkwa

Sinkwa New Member

Good morning. I found trying to build a gate using orbital fabbers on a tropical planet, over trees, that the trees don't get reclaimed. I therefore can't build a gate using orbital fabbers. Is this intended, or is it going to change? The same scenario occurs when trying to build a gate over a gate debris, same spot as old destroyed gate. Thanks
  17. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

Ok, at first thought this would be a different case, but it isn't...

The ability to reclaim on the ground layer was denied for the orbital fabber because it used to be possible to reclaim enemy commanders without any real means of being able to counter it.

Which once again leads back to the question whether reclaiming live enemy units is a legit move, since the ability to reclaim both neutral structures and wreckages is obviously needed even on orbital fabbers.
    Last edited: February 18, 2015
    Tripod27 and cola_colin like this.
  18. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

Tbh I don't see why combat Fabbers reclaiming 'live enemy units ' is even a heated topic. Let's be honest combat dabbers get 1 shot by tanks and even dox can take them Out. so really the only time they will be viable is against inferno. And if you only have inferno in your army you have either lost the battle or just have really bad unit diversity at which they will still loose would either microed dox ants or combat fabbers. Also the amount they are likely to reclaim before being 1 shot by an errant tank is never going to offset it's metal cost to build....
  19. tommybananas

tommybananas Active Member

Also with the ta ks and bots costing energy to move ect. I'd have thought that it would be fairly obvious they would have a miniature power plant inside their chasis to power it's requirements just like we have power plants in vehicles today (internal combustion engines)
    ace63 likes this.
  20. cybrankrogoth

cybrankrogoth Active Member

Maybe the correct question we should be asking is, why is only reclaimation, repair and contruction costing energy?
    Although I think artillery also costs energy....
    But I'd like more stuff to cost energy :)