PTE build 78071 now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, February 6, 2015.

1. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

AI won’t transport commanders in an orbital lander anymore <---- YESSSSSSS!!!!
    cdrkf and Remy561 like this.
  2. panthernet

panthernet New Member

I wonder if AI will use portals more wisely because i've hardly ever seen working AI portals even on absurd difficulty. It was all about - transport commander to the new planet and build new base :\
    Quitch likes this.
  3. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

Yes, it costs energy now.
  4. FSN1977

FSN1977 Active Member

The AI Commanders have died countless times in my games , because they travel with a orbital transport , when they havent scoutet the planet.
  5. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Not only, but also their healing and reclaim functions (I think). Combat fabbers were originally never used because they easily could tank your economy. 1500 draw per second means every combat fabber is one less regular fabber you can have now, or an extra pgen. I don't see them being worth that amount of metal.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

More like two extra fabbers or two extra pgens.
    philoscience likes this.
  7. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

They still have to unique ability to place mines to fortify your base.

But you need only a single combat fabber for that, at all. Repairs in field are dead with that change, constructing fresh units just became much cheaper. And since the T1 scout now can see mines too, that role was also eliminated.

Now if the combat fabbers would at least be efficient about "combat reclaiming" enemy units, but they aren't either. (Respectively if we had wreckages and Combat Fabbers would automatically reclaim all wreckages, WITHOUT consuming energy for that task.)
    whisperr likes this.
  8. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

So who is up for another big FFA game? I'm working on a planet!
  9. philoscience

Yes I agree, we won't be seeing them regularly mixed into unit blobs for fortification, healing, or minesweeping with these changes. Which I don't think is a good thing. I would prefer to see the energy draw about half what it is now, and with a slight buff to fab range and maybe a nerf to the amount of eco trees provide.
  10. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

the issue isn't so much the trees as it is the wall building alongside grenadiers. I haven't had too much of an issue with it, since I'm the one doing it to others most of the time ( :p ) but I can see how it might be OP.
  11. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

Maybe give combat fabbers a different kind of wall, one that is much weaker.

This nerf was definitely taking the comfabs down the road of useless.

Oh well, I only really play anti-popcorn mod anyway, I can make the units whatever I want :)
  12. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

walls, eh? No problem 60 or so infernos can't fix!
  13. philoscience

I'm still not convinced the Grenadier/CF combo was as strong as people make it out to be, as CFs are extremely vulnerable to sniping. However, surely a better solution than major nerfing CFs is to adjust walls or grenadiers. It always strikes me as funny how we go from never using a unit at all to suddenly thinking it is OP when it finally has a use!
  14. thetrophysystem

thetrophysystem Post Master General

I say reducing the range ever so slightly on grenadiers would limit this trick while still keeping it. I like the fact that new tricks like this exist. Them being every other engagement is a problem though.

Really, grenadiers having a vision of 110-120, and a weapon range of 90, would make them able to set this up, as well as handle tanks, without being able to straight up plow tanks without being set up in advance or throwing them into tanks and trading some losses before they even reach range.

Grenadiers in-game do damage per cost where they can be used against tanks, and move fast enough, but at their range they don't need to take losses so much to use them. Lower range means they can fair against tanks behind walls but the tanks can just sit and destroy the walls from safety first, and that grenadiers can brawl with tanks once they dedicate to the fight with losses by entering a 10-range gap.
    christer1966 and philoscience like this.
  15. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

remember, mines are/were a thing...
  16. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

1500 energy draw from combat fabbers is huge! What inspired that drastic change?
  17. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

The combat fabber + grenadier push + the OP combat fab tree reclaim eco builds I think...
  18. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I say they were not OP. Why would it be OP to use extra resources?
    Yes you do need to take them. Surprise ;)
  19. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Uhm I really don't understand your comment Cola?
  20. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

I can understand nerfing that a small amount; but that would be a lot easier to do by altering the cost of trees! Now you've altered the meta quite a large amount AGAIN without waiting to properly test for true balance.

Having said that, I can't remember how much energy combat fabbers used when building; if that was still 0, then that would make more sense.