There needs to be a way to tell players how to play offline.

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by christer1966, February 10, 2015.

1. christer1966

christer1966 Member

I was looking through the steam reviews and a lot of players didn't recommend the game in December or January because apparently they "couldn't play offline". People generally have no idea how to turn the local server on and don't come to the forums to ask. PA needs all the good reviews it can get and something needlessly silly like this needs to be fixed. I think if you put instructions on how to play offline in the main menu somewhere this would help a lot and people would stop getting all huffy about this sort of thing.
    Heizmeister and bengeocth like this.
  2. bengeocth

bengeocth Post Master General

Even I had to ask on the forums. I got a lot of f̶u̶n̶n̶y̶ ̶l̶o̶o̶k̶s̶ funny responses.
    Heizmeister and christer1966 like this.
  3. Heizmeister

Heizmeister Member

You couldn´t be more right. Sadly, people these days seem too lazy (or stupid(?)) to try and figure things out on ther own. Reading the patchnotes isn´t that hard either. I bet, that if there isn´t a giant message in the main menu about offline play, most of them would still be complaining about the lack of said feature, even when the first server version has been released. What Uber could do to give a little hint,is a reminder-popup on how to enable offline play and maybe explain when it is viable and when it is not (e.g. when your pc specs are to low to host a server).
    Last edited: February 14, 2015
  4. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I think the main problem is that it shows you a login field that you can ignore to play offline. A login dialog suggest you need to login to use the game, which isn't the case. Adding a simple "play offline" button below that simply hides the login field (or launches PA with the login field hidden if the player starts PA through the launcher) would go a long way.
    Not sure how the steam-version handles this stuff.
    Tripod27 and theseeker2 like this.
  5. Heizmeister

Heizmeister Member

the steam version automaticly logs you in everytime you launch pa. There is no option to cirumvent this; not one that i can recall .
    christer1966 likes this.
  6. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

What if you start steam in offline mode?
  7. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

It asks you to login in PA, as you had said. :p
  8. wondible

wondible Post Master General

@trialq 's latest video mentions this among many other things. Give it a like so it goes to the start page
    trialq likes this.
  9. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, most people only start via the launcher, so the launcher needs an offline option