Editor bugs and issues: The Thread

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by takfloyd, January 30, 2015.

1. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

Okay, so can this be the thread where everyone reports problems with the editor? I'll start:

1: Elliptical orbits reset to circles when the editor is exited or a new planet is added. Only happens to planets in certain, seemingly random areas of the coordinate system, such as directly southwest of the sun.

2: "Advanced Edit" features don't stick on planets after save&exit. Instead everything reverts to the setup that was in place before Advanced Edit was opened, but you can't change anything because the planet is still in Adv. edit mode. This glitch happens randomly to a system, and some or all planets may be affected. After it happens it will not be possible to edit any further planets. It seems to happen almost every time there's several edited planets in the system.

3: CSG objects from other templates don't seem to stick on Tropical planets, even when the metal spots do.

4: Landing Zones are very hard to see under water.

5: Every time you click Simulate, the camera jumps to the edge of the coordinate system if you try to move it, making it hard to zoom and get a good look at what's happening.

6: Metal spots sometimes can't be deleted under water. Only happens with metal spots that weren't placed manually.

7: There's no documentation of the hotkeys needed to place and remove metal spots/landing zones within the editor.

I'll update this with more as I come across it.
    lorodion, goofyz3, guest1 and 8 others like this.
  2. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Beat me to it, good work!

1. there seems to be a specific problem with placing metal spots on CSGs (like the metal platforms). The vanish when you load the world
    2. Sometimes copy-pasting a CSG will make it impossible to rotate it, requires copy pasting several versions before you get one that will rotate
    3. Making all-water planets is a painful game of setting the sliders and redoing the seed again and again until you get something with just a tiny bit of land you can cover by CSG
    4. Some general buggery about saving/loading CSGs. Seems to be really random if those edits actually stick or not.
    Remy561 likes this.
  3. frostsatir

frostsatir Active Member

I just want add some tips how to avoid "random metal spots" problem in 77443 patch.

1)After creating planet you should remove all metal spots what system designer did.

2)Not make planet "starting" before you go to advansed settings.Its important is you create water planet, cuz impossible find landing zones underwater.

3)Add ALL metal spots only in "advansed settings" manually.

4)Save System.

This tips can help create normal maps even in this patch.
    philoscience likes this.
  4. lafncow

lafncow Active Member

Can I "like" that @jables "liked" your post? It is so great to see Uber taking constructive feedback and still working so hard to make this game Awesome. Thank you Uber!
    jtibble likes this.
  5. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

This is exactly how I do it. It doesn't prevent the bug. It just makes so there is no metal at all on the planet when you try playing on it, because any that you place manually disappear.
  6. destravous

destravous Member

I just want to confirm #3 as I discovered yesterday, after an hours worth of placing csg :/
    Glad to know uber is aware and working on a fix as indicated by jables like, I think.
  7. knoppiks

knoppiks New Member

Don't having this issue anymore: Fixed with 77443? Can you confirm this?
  8. guest1

guest1 Active Member

Some more things to add (@jables, @masterdigital):
    • Rotation controls don't work on any of the mountain brushes except the henge
    • Deleting a brush on a planet with CSG symmetry sometimes fails to delete its twin; since the twin is mirrored it is unselectable, and can't be removed within the editor
    • If you delete a planet that has been put into advanced edit mode and immediately place a new planet, the new planet will also be in advanced edit mode
    • Metal planets generate CSG with incorrect rotation, so the terrain becomes messed up as soon as you edit CSG
    [​IMG]
    • The no_features tag on brushes has no effect
    [​IMG]
    theseeker2, Nicb1 and cptconundrum like this.
  9. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

How do you even rotate CSGs or use brushes? See, this is why the editor needs documentation.
  10. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Yep I was about to post the exact same thing with the metal planet. Happens to me every time I attempt to modify a metal planet. Also when you finish editing the metal planet and try it ingame, it reverts to the original default metal planet layout.

EDIT:
    I have documented all the issues that I came across in this thread here.
    https://forums.uberent.com/threads/system-edit-derp-slightly-funny-help-pls.66671/
    philoscience likes this.
  11. guest1

guest1 Active Member

@nicb1 do you still have the custom metal planet from your other thread? If you post the .pas I could try to get it working.

It's all in the hotkeys.
  12. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

I should still have it, will have to take a look. It was more of an experiment than anything else at the time, but if you could figure out what is wrong that would be great. Once I get access to my desktop a bit later in the day I'll pm you the .pas if I can find the map.
  13. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

And the hotkey listing can't be accessed from within the editor. You have to exit the editor and go into settings.

Not to mention these things shouldn't be hotkey-locked in the first place - there should be buttons for this kind of stuff. Especially for basic things like placing metal and landing zones. But it's more important to fix major bugs at the moment - UI can wait.
    Nicb1 likes this.
  14. guest1

guest1 Active Member

15. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Can a mod please move this thread to the mapping forum and sticky it there? Makes no sense for it to get buried in general discussion. @cola_colin @raevn
  16. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

Bumb is very important thread.
  17. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Indeed.
  18. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

This should be moved to mapping and stuff @cola_colin
  19. iacondios

iacondios Active Member

-CSGs placed near the poles get warped into oblivion
    -CSGs are warped when moved away from the equator in general
    -I've not been able to successfully remove metal spots for a while - especially if they are in water or placed on pathable CSGs
    -Removing all the CSGs from a planet and then clicking the CSG edit button to exit editing mode and save them usually fails UNLESS you've placed a new CSG
    -Very difficult to have CSG changes saved if you exit CSG mode in ways other than clicking the CSG edit button again (Assuming the above isn't true)
    -Custom metal placements disappear from the map sometimes on save / reload - the planet stats indicate there are metal spots, but loading the game none appear, and none visible in editor (Can someone provide more detailed information on this?)
    -When making drastic edits to planet geometry such as using craters to remove planet (see guest1's monstrosities), the camera does not zoom well to altered features due to assuming a spherical shape
    Metal planet CSGs are all kinds of broken:
    -When you go into advanced edit mode for a freshly spawned metal planet, the center CSG trench wireframes are sideways
    -When you save the CSGs (without editing), the actual trenches become sideways
    EDIT: guest1 beat me to the above two
    -When CSG editing, the default metal planet CSGs can appear even if they have been moved or deleted

Add ons:
    Loading some systems after restarting game causes CSG or metal to disappear
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
  20. destravous

destravous Member

So, spent hours designing my next system, saved it aaaand...the csg is gone :mad: all that work, just gone, for no reason.
    I'm done trying to make systems until saving is fixed.
    lorodion likes this.