orbital arriving pinpoint, possible change?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by tatsujb, September 12, 2014.

?

Change orbital arrival mechanic.

1. make orbital units arrive the midnight of that planet (preferably not stacked but in formation)

42 vote(s)
    34.1%
  2. keep it as is, suck it n00bz, I pwn u asses all day lel get rekt

81 vote(s)
    65.9%
  1. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

Flowfields only deal with getting from A to B. Without anything else, it actually encourages stacking as everything would use the most ideal path. There's additional code to ensure spacing is kept, and to nudge and otherwise deal with overlaps on ground units.
    squishypon3 likes this.
  2. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

3. Raevn

Raevn Moderator Alumni

I had to google TMYK.

TMYK :p
  4. schuesseled192

schuesseled192 Active Member

To get rid of stacking all they need to do is make air and orbital units separate out in all directions briefly beofre accepting an attack order. LIKE THEY DO ALREADY FOR MOVE ORDERS. (and have them do this prior to travelling to other planets, or cheat and have them arrive in a spread out formation.)
  5. tatsujb

¿Por qué no los dos?

why not have stacking removed completely?

why do they EVER have to be stacked?

why can't they be slightly seperate as they travel though space?

why can't they arrive seperate?

WHY do we .....stack ?!?
    schuesseled192 likes this.
  6. earth75

earth75 Member

7. tatsujb

stuart98 likes this.
  8. earth75

earth75 Member

This is nnow the TMYK thread #TMYK
    stuart98 likes this.
  9. Ksgrip

Ksgrip Active Member

¿Por que....?
    without the entonation jaja
    :p
  10. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

*ahem*

We can land a robot 5m across, on a piece of land less than a mile across, launched 10 years in advance after travelling nearly 600 Billion miles, and we're humans

Landing a satellite in pin point orbit is EXACTLY what people spend years planning. It's absolutely feasible if you've mastered space travel and freaking teleportation

In Summary, suck it n00bz etc
    Last edited: February 3, 2015
    stuart98 and theseeker2 like this.
  11. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

I do not like this proposal OP
  12. tatsujb

again the endless return of the realism vs fun conundrum.

you've sided with realism.

I dissagree with you

and also

I don't see why. seeing as PA is built upon a unrealism almost entirely.

I think there's hypocrisy in using an argument only when convinient to you. Why is it that when confronted with the state of intel in PA, noone ever opts for realism? : https://forums.uberent.com/threads/...xed-land-radar-blips.49424/page-2#post-764593
  13. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

How exactly is non-pinpoint arrival "fun", it makes it far easier to fortify a planet if you know there's only one ring at the equator where stuff can land.
    stuart98 and stawos like this.
  14. davostheblack

davostheblack Well-Known Member

It's strategic to be able to pin-point a weaknesses in orbital defences and make use of that fact; and that strategic depth, that's the fun right there.

On a consistency basis: Annhilasers hit targets across the length of space, planets impact precisely where you want them, nukes do exactly the same, would you change any of those?

Pin-point orbital is actually consistent with game design. It's also easily countered as it is; there's whole threads dedicated to the fact that small planets can be mega-fortresses. But those are actually cool in themselves; few games actually allow you to engage in a full blown inter-planetary siege.
    stawos likes this.
  15. stawos

stawos Member

One thing to note is that all the planets in PA have zero degree tilt on axis, so if orbital would only land on midnight, all one would have to do would build on equator and stop all orbital. So I voted to keep it the way it is, it make more sense also to choose the spot. Why should the units be forced to enter at a particular location after traveling interplanetary?
    davostheblack likes this.
  16. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

"Let's face it nobody likes orbital arriving pinpoint."

-looks at the votes for keeping it the way it is-
    stuart98 and davostheblack like this.
  17. tatsujb

consider this, maybe the title wasn't made after the poll? wow! crazy! never thought it could be, right?

you still really debated intrestingly /S
    that is incorect. look again.
    adding a layer of dificulty on the attacker's side would level things out. right now it's both player's fault if the match lasts more than 15 minutes and in that case means both are letting the other live.

there are a number of things for which pinpoint orbital arrival is the most OP thing in the game.

• nukes
    • avenger fleets (even a fleet in a superior number cannot contend with a blob of avengers packed into the space of one unit, and when structure have very little life time is of the essence to save them, point is time is so short when avengers are all blobbed up "saving" is not an option)
    • SXX
    • unit cannon
    you go on to say "it's consistent with game design" that is a blatant lie. no it's not. units on a planet's surface move around at a regular pace and spacing. and never do they blob up to form a single-unit blob of death.

they also don't get to instantly dissaperate and reaperate later. I don't see where this is comming from. there obviously is nothing in the rest of the game that compares to this behaviour nor allows you to counter it.
  18. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

lol at the sarcasm

What I found funny about the title is that you just assumed that everyone hated pinpointed arrivals. And then the poll had an option for 'keep it as it is.'
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
  19. tatsujb

dude I'm not braindead ok?

yes the title was pretentious, no I did not assume, I just tried to make it funny with my particular strand of humor.

I had in mind changing it, didn't do it until you pointed it out cuz i forgot, now it's done.

as hated as my idea is there are still 34.8% of people who want it.

I imagine there are more who don't want my idea but do want a change with orbital arrival. Not to metion with orbital at large.

can we agree that there is a recognised issue here?
  20. endurrr

endurrr Active Member

I would love orbital changes. But at the moment giant clusters of avengers arriving pinpoint in a stacked formation is one of the only ways to crack open a late stage gas giant. What we really need is more orbital units, preferably a high armoured but low damage unit that can tank fire from enemy avengers while our own kills them. It would force more micro into orbital play too. Then the units don't have to be stacked. After some sort of change like this, then we don't particularly need the arrival of units to be stacked. But I'd still like pinpoint arrival. It adds better gameplay than just arriving on the midnight of a planet. Since we can land anywhere, we can attack anywhere. Units should be lost in a fight, not because they didn't arrive where we wanted to and get destroyed by umbrella and anchor fire.
    bengeocth likes this.