Let's just put it to a poll: Teamcolored Projectiles or Not?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by stuart98, February 4, 2015.

?

How do you like your projectiles?

1. Team colored.

47.6%
  2. Not team colored.

52.4%
  1. mrchris2000

mrchris2000 Member

Firstly - yes Uber should promote PAMM and/or roll their own mod manager into the client.

To the general comments expressed above:
    >I never understood what is so cool about team colored explosions.
    >The units are team colored, why does anything else need to be team colored??

For me personally there are two reasons:
    1) Recognition - I can more quickly identify who is taking part in a confrontation (esp when zoomed in).
    2) Its pretty - in a game that otherwise lacks differentiation being able to see my units/structures as unique is nice.

That said, it should be an option -- this is all client side anyway so it doesn't have to affect anyone other than myself; the only time it gets tricky is when two mods need/want to combine, but isn't that something the SettingsFramework should be able to handle for the user (coloured/default option choice that is)?
    MrTBSC and guest1 like this.
  2. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

personaly like default so vote no

but agree with @Alpha2546 and @mrchris2000 to add an option for teamcolored projectiles and explosions ...
    i personaly do use colored gates and commandergun mods
    Last edited: February 5, 2015
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

dont take away my cyan lathe i dare ye
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  4. Bouncer2000

Bouncer2000 Member

Please no! Leave it as a mod.

What PA really needs is an general update on projectiles and other FX. It really bugs me how lava looks like an carpet and it's almost the same case with water. Is it really that hard to give the water an animation around ships or when rockets and other projectiles fall into it? I mean, I would be happy if would a least look like in TA.
    ace63 likes this.
  5. Abaddon1

Abaddon1 Active Member

Or even better than "leave it as a mod" make it into a client-side option, since the current forum split is around 60-40 its not like there's a super strong view one way or the other even among the small group of forum people.
    stuart98 likes this.
  6. lapsedpacifist

lapsedpacifist Post Master General

Except that takes an Uber dev time that could be spent doing something else more important.

Why bother putting a dev on it when there's a modder whose done it for you? Oh right because a tiny fraction of the playerbase uses mods. Which brings us right back to integrating/publicising mod manager.
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

nanolathes should also be replaced with the early beta/alpha lathe which was more fluid and less pixely
    ace63 likes this.
  8. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

Works perfectly as a mod, makes no sense in vanilla. More mod manager promotion would be good.
  9. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Meh, the fluid didn't quite fit with the style.
  10. theseeker2

It's fine, and it was less fugly. It fits especially now since Uber is moving away from blocky projectiles with the new anchor laz0r & hopefully better effects in the future. Old lathe mod would be welcome, too :^)
  11. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

There used to be the 'ClassicColors' mod on PAMM, I don't know if it's been re-uploaded? I could always set it up again if need be.
  12. theseeker2

No, this isn't about classic colors, this is about the old lathe animation.
  13. Diaboy

Diaboy Active Member

Ah, my mistake. I could maybe look at doing it tonight, I'm sure it can't be that complicated *famous last words*
    websterx01 likes this.
  14. optimi

optimi Well-Known Member

Someone make a PAMM guide video and submit it to the weekly contest!
  15. nick2k

nick2k Active Member

I'm using all of the team colored mods on PAAM and I like it. ALL DAH CUHLORS
    squishypon3 likes this.
  16. devoh

devoh Well-Known Member

I can only assume from Uber's silence that there is some issue/reason they are not doing it. I wish Uber would talk about it with us. That would give us the chance to address their concerns. Uber please talk to us. @jables how about it? can you discuss why Uber doesn't seem to like the idea? or is it just really low on the list of priorities?
  17. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Yes a main menu article or official tutorial/guide on how to download mods would be awesome.
  18. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

arrrrrg! have my like but i hate the english version because I can read her lips and it bugs me that the text doesn't match.
    rdfsg.png
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
    Alpha2546 likes this.
  19. tatsujb

tatsujb Post Master General

well here's the thing.

orginally I might have lined up with this opinion (appart for the green of the nanolathe..... cuz "green is not ...a creative colour." )

but tacking a step back after having used both. I gotta say color mods do so much for the game. it's okay that you're zoomed out to the point you no longer see the icons. the color of the battlefield lets you know which base/units is yours and which are not.

durring fights you can see where projectiles come from without getting confused and you can actually see who hit who.

and overall the coulour just livens the gameplay.

I feel there's a point in the PAX south homeworld interview which doesn't fail to explain why that is.
    Last edited: February 4, 2015
    squishypon3 likes this.
  20. squishypon3

squishypon3 Post Master General

Yeah I think she really says "Why not both?" Instead.

It's like the Darth Vader and Luke thing, Darth Vader doesn't actually say "Luke, I am your father"
    Alpha2546 likes this.