Were is the gui?

Discussion in 'Mac and Linux' started by Sangpur, February 3, 2015.

1. Sangpur

Sangpur New Member

Hi,
    I'm new to Linux Ubuntu and I already had enoth trouble insalling the drivers for my r9 290 graphics card.
    I start the game by getting a black sceen. I hit Alt+Tab and get the intro video. I go to the graphic settings and put it on uber. I start a ranked game and see the galaxy but have no mouse. Using the mouse wheel I land on the planet and select the commander and can't build enything because there is no gui. What's wrong with this game? It works perfectly on windows -.-
    I wanted to use Linux because I keep hearing that you get better performance.

I have a 64 bit windows and a 64 bit ubuntu version. 8gb ram which is enoth (on windows at least). An amd r9 290 as said before and an amd fx-9590.

How can I fix this?
  2. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Could you try starting PA with the --software-ui flag?
    SXX likes this.
  3. luizluca

luizluca New Member

I'm new here but it seems that the "black screen at startup" is very popular :)

I've just got it using ubuntu 64 15.04 and fglrx 15.20.1013-150227a-180955E-ATI (from ubuntu repos), launched from steam. Only once it started normaly (on a second try) and never again. Now it runs only with the "--software-ui".

Steam known issues should be updated in order to not exclude updated fglrx from the "black screen" problem
  4. exterminans

exterminans Post Master General

It's not fglrx-exclusive, that black screen I mean. Could repo on an Intel HD 5500.

With software UI I got a semi functional UI, but there definitely were some layout issues with the software UI.

And don't even mention ingame. All coherent rendered elements had black backgrounds.
  5. lostyack

lostyack New Member

On my system (Mint/oibaf/FOSS radeon) --software-ui fixes all visual errors..
    Except one: after completed battle (in WAR) i get black screen.
    I hear "system acquired, and on next PA restart WAR autosave loads with "Explore" on this system.
    Playable, but only one fight per PA restart.

Without --software-ui there is that nasty (Mesa?) bug ( screens and detail here: https://forums.uberent.com/threads/a-simple-question.70433/#post-1116579 )
  6. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Yeah, that black screen has been there forever unfortunately. There is an easy workaround however. Resizing the window or switching between fullscreen to windowed and back (with <Alt>+<Enter>) forces a redraw.
    lostyack likes this.