How to fix your systems not showing up in editor

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by reptarking, February 3, 2015.

1. reptarking

reptarking Post Master General

Okay everyone here is how i have fixxed systems:

Step one: Export your system from the System Designer

Step two: find your .pas in your documents and then open it with a text editor, I use notepad++

Step three: Check
    "heightRange":
    "waterHeight":
    "waterDepth":
    "temperature":
    these should be at the top of your .pas in the "planets" section then under "planet": {

Step four: find the value that is not a whole number, there can be more then one,
    "heightRange": 0,
    "waterHeight": 30.000001907348633,
    "waterDepth": 0,
    "temperature": 46,
    Change it to the whole number it should be, ( "waterHeight": 30, )

Step five: save the file and import it using the import function in the system designer.

Step six: open the newly imported version of your map with the fix and zoom in on your planet with all its csg the way you custom placed it.

I'm not sure why the system designer does weird things when these values are not whole numbers like they should be on all working maps.
  2. reptarking

3. guest1

guest1 Active Member

I've done a few quick tests, and it looks like you're right. Manually setting a planet's radius to a float reliably causes it to forget all custom CSG.

This is useful stuff. It might be possible to throw together a simple UI mod to round parameters appropriately.
    Last edited: February 3, 2015
  4. reptarking

Bad part is every save with a new system name will cause it to error again...
  5. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

Checked it and it indeed fixes the generating bug. Well done Gandalf. No offense but you should have more car crashes for the sake of fixing bugs in PA :p . This might be the one and only bug that screws up the saving. Well done!

Awesome stuff! @masterdigital you know what to do :p
    sardaukar666 likes this.
  6. reptarking

Problem is every new save with name change of system will cause it to bug again. It might even bug without name change. So you might have to do this before each session always tell it's perm fixxed.
    sardaukar666 likes this.
  7. Alpha2546

Well it still is better then nothing :) It needs to be fixed but for now we can edit them atleast. That wasn't even possible before. Another plus is it actually can be fixed instead of still finding out where it goes wrong.
    reptarking likes this.
  8. reptarking

Yea it took sheer luck of me hating decimals to find out that's what broke it
    stuart98, b8factor and Alpha2546 like this.
  9. Alpha2546

Or a car crash. We still have to find that out. :oops:
    stuart98 and sardaukar666 like this.
  10. takfloyd

takfloyd Active Member

This is a really great find, and definitely the cause of most of the problems!

However, it's not the whole story.

I was able to restore CSG on some planets using this fix, but others simply had no CSG data in the exported text file whatsoever. Only metal spots and landing zones were present in the file and thus fixable.

Not sure what causes this to happen on some planets, but every planet that had its CSG objects completely deleted were big planets with CSG from many templates on them. This could be a clue.
  11. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

Thanks for reporting this. This should be easy to fix.
    squishypon3, stuart98, guest1 and 3 others like this.