ZaphodX's PA videos - updated daily

Discussion in 'Videos And Replays!' started by zaphodx, July 17, 2013.

1. zaphodx

zaphodx Post Master General

2. zaphodx

3. zaphodx

4. zaphodx

5. zaphodx

6. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Cross-post from YouTube comments:

17:45 for the best look at the "cheating" part! What happened was some lucky angled shots, so that when one pink Dox died, the rest of the shots fired at it flew behind it and killed it's friends. This has been "fixed" in a recently build of PA by giving the projectiles a shorter lifetime. Neither me or Randie had intended this exact behaviour to occur. At that point in the game, thanks to favourable engagements and good bombing runs, we outnumbered the enemy Dox 700 to 400. The numbers advantage, the "deathballing" by bunching up the units (compared to pinks rather spread out force), the attack by Randie on the mex in the center of the map, and pinks heavy investment in air (which hadn't yet paid off), meant that even without that bug in our favour, our attack at that point could easily have come out with us on top.

Edit: Even more analysis ^^

Randie did attacks in the center of the map just before the overshooting and attacks around the back of pinks base just after, both of which killed a whole load of fabricators. So even though pink had more economy, they were spending a lot of it on fabricators, rather expensive bombers, walls, turrets, a couple of teleporters, air factories, energy to support building the air factories with less efficient air fabbers, and the air factories themselves which consume a bit more power per metal spent than bot factories - compared to me and Randie who spent almost the entirety of our metal on Dox (instead of even rebuilding!)

Pinks factories pausing for 10 or so seconds obviously also cost them a lot of metal and reduced their comparative unit count. But also, after that, every time all of their factories built at the same time, they stalled hard.

Overall I'd definitely say pink was winning before those "issues" happened. But all sorts of things went in our favour around that time, and it's really interesting to see how it can astoundingly quickly all snowball into suddenly ripping through the enemy base with nothing to stop you. Was a fun game!
    Last edited: February 3, 2015
  7. Clopse

Clopse Post Master General

The factories stopped for 56 seconds iirc. That's a crazy amount of dox from 25 factories. We had 10 more factories producing units at 100% efficiency so the fabber count has no bearing. You guys unit control was undeniably better with your blobs so not sure what the outcome would have been. Ifs and buts aside it was real fun. Being out of position for 5 seconds can be extremely costly when dealing with large blobs like that.
  8. zaphodx

9. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Ouch yeah it was longer than I thought. Compared to what was spent on fabricators and stuff I guess that pause hurt you far more :/

I've never seen a bug like that, so umm, I would assume it was something like: half your factories were paused, then when you selected all of them it said they weren't paused because when you select a mixture it.. actually I'm not sure if it does the majority or just defaults to not-paused being displayed visually. Perhaps when selecting all of them, it said they weren't paused because a new one started being built (which defaults to not-paused), so it showed not paused even though really they were all frozen? I didn't notice when playing against you until the game was paused because there was still a small stream of Dox coming from your base.

We need to be able to select factories to see the state of the factory and what's queued up inside it while spectating/reviewing!
  10. Clopse

Yeah I thought at first violet may have pressed energy conserve instead of auto build. And I have the select all factory and conserve button right beside each other as I use them a lot. So I know the little tricks you need to do. What was weird with this case. Trying to pause and unpause again didn't work, I tried for maybe 10 seconds until we paused the game. To fix I had to select all factories, spam stop, and re q. The funny thing there was all factories produced a unit after .5 seconds at the same time. I have never seen it before myself but was strange.
  11. zaphodx

12. zihuatanejo

zihuatanejo Well-Known Member

13. zaphodx

14. Tripod27

Tripod27 Active Member

Is there some sort of automatic energy conservation in the game now? I haven't been paying attention to the patch notes but tons of times recently I just find a bunch of my factories being shut off for no reason, or losing their initial waypoints for where the units should go after they're built
  15. Clopse

There is a pause factory button but that won't cancel way points. If you press the stop twice it would cancel build orders and also the way points. Maybe see what that button is assigned to and if there is a chance you may be pressing it.
  16. zaphodx

17. zaphodx

18. zaphodx

19. zaphodx

20. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

I've seen this kind of bug once in an local game against the AI. It was really weird. All factories stopped suddenly without a warning and the usual power off/power on and stop/start didn't do it for me. It looked like the animation system got stuck in the build animation loop of the factories.
    I tried to reproduce this, but without any success.