Where are the generated maps?

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by trilioth, January 30, 2015.

1. trilioth

trilioth Member

Do we have to create maps now? Why is there not any more randomly generate maps available for the making a game? I really loved this feature. Please bring it back. :(
  2. kaminfreunde

kaminfreunde Active Member

Yes, definitely I'm also a fan of random maps. But I liked the script to be improved having options like full random, random symmetry map (csg + metal) or random metal spot symmetry modes. Also it should provide a calculation creating the same amount of metal next to each starting point to create more balanced maps.

For me the Age of Empries II random map script language is still one of the coolest map creation feature in RTS game history.
    bengeocth likes this.
  3. wondible

wondible Post Master General

trilioth and sizedcuber like this.
  4. trilioth

trilioth Member

Good to know. Thanks
  5. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

If master digital sais is true it would be awesome. Also no nukes :), nice.

For now no random maps is not so nice. Loading is quicker though.
  6. wondible

wondible Post Master General

I'm assuming in the context of a planet generator that super-weapons refers to halleys and annihilasers.
    DalekDan likes this.
  7. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

That would totally suck, halleys and annihilasors are fine, they take ages to build and you know when someone is busy building them. But nukes are stealth and can be build anywhere.
  8. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Nukes are horrifically overpriced and almost never useful.
    DalekDan likes this.
  9. goofyz3

goofyz3 Active Member

In 1vs1 they are. When there are 8 players and you manage to kill 6 and the last guy only invested in nukes you lose.
  10. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

You can easily evade nukes. And on top of that if you allowed your enemy to create such a stockpile of overpriced nukes that they pierce through several anti-nukes AS WELL AS cover an area big enough that you cannot evade then he beat you fair and square. Also nukes aren't stealth, you just didn't have radar/vision coverage.
  11. Nullimus

Nullimus Well-Known Member

I think this thread got off track.
    The OP was talking about the need to bring random maps back as the bread and butter of created games. I am so bored of symmetry I am going to puke.

I love having to deal with the unknowns and possible disadvantages of procedurally generated terrain.

I love having to improvise a strategy for each and every game.

My favorite feature was always the fact that every new game was different.

The symmetrical maps are fun for competitive play and all that but the casual game should use procedurally generated maps.

And let's not forget that during Alpha the spawns typically were very close in metal count because the metal was placed in clusters around each spawn point.

Oh and now that I am thinking back to Alpha. Remember how cool it was when air fabbers could build on plateaus? That would be a really cool feature to bring back to the game.
    DalekDan and trilioth like this.
  12. trilioth

trilioth Member

What he said.