Hotfix build 77725 now live

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 30, 2015.

1. Nicb1

Nicb1 Post Master General

Although I complained about the combat fab I must really congratulate you guys at uber. Naval is actually interesting to play and I really like a lot of the additions. Excluding the t1 combat fabs.
  2. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

not a bug, that is intended (high risk reward was reason given)
    cwarner7264 and stuart98 like this.
  3. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

well... it kinda makes area commands useless and results in some pretty intense micro to make sure they are far enough apart.

Unless the largest area command still works fine? (there are two defaults for jigs)
    cptconundrum likes this.
  4. cptconundrum

cptconundrum Post Master General

I'm sure it will only take a few hours for someone to make a UI mod that fixes the jig area command spacing. That will teach Uber not to try balancing things by crippling the UI! ;)
  5. miliascolds

miliascolds Member

pretty sure that's the point
  6. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

just did a 1v1 vs AI and ended with 101.8% metal used, something tells me that stat is broken
  7. xankar

xankar Post Master General

Now I just need reclaimable rocks and unit wreckage's added in and this game and I will elate to the highest degree. @Uber, I formally request this of you. It would add much needed variety to the game.

-my incorrect usage of elate looks good
    cola_colin likes this.
  8. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Gimme a sec.
    cola_colin, Remy561 and cptconundrum like this.
  9. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

Stahp. You don't need to. I was about to until it was explained to me. You can click and drag a big circle instead of a little one and they will spread out a bit further. It's weird, but it kinda works.
  10. stuart98

That's weird and it only kinda works.
    burntcustard and cptconundrum like this.
  11. stuart98

Mod is up on PAMM now, I'm continuing the tradition of never testing my mods before releasing them to PAMM so if it doesn't entirely work go ahead and yell at me. :)

This will almost certainly conflict with PA-FX unfortunately, one of us will have to integrate the other and set our priority to be higher.
  12. elodea

elodea Post Master General

Naval is buggy and has some problems

Gameplay
    Aoe damage from ship cannon shells damage subs, which is a problem due to the tendency for subs to stack.

T2 subs are still a colossal waste of metal since they die to anything that has vision > 0. No point whatsoever building them since anything the t2 sub can do, everything else can do better and/or for cheaper.

The invisibility to radar has no real utility in practice since anything that can attack it relies on vision range anyway, and it usually means nothing since you don't know where you're moving it in the first place due to bad vision range. Randomly encounter some t1 subs, a torpedo launcher, or some random bombers flying around = dead.

frigate and sub combat is decently balanced, but not so fun. Very little element of player involvement like engagement, retreat, harassing, or positioning. It's just who has more metal, and might as well just be frigate vs frigate or sub vs sub.

That said, it's great to have more units and i'm sure it'll get better with iteration.

Bugs
    Lobby ID:
    PA stats: http://pastats.com/chart?gameId=278318
    1. Custard's planes stop moving and start to land (some on water even) immediately upon having no order after killing the battleship, which is a real pain because it takes time for them to lift off again. These things can be immensely game changing given the right circumstances. I don't believe this happened in previous builds?
      - 14:20
    2. Battleships don't fire at above water targets that are in range, vision/radar, and angle of attack.
      - 19:35
      - 20:30
    3. Battleship guns frequently don't rotate correctly and fire at above water targets that are in range, in vision/radar, and in angle of attack.
      - 20:00 (2nd gun on battleship)
      - 22:40 (battleship north of orange base. first and third gun)
      - 23:35 (first gun on battleship south of orange base)
    4. Battleships sometimes refuse to maintain a broadside positioning in open water, or anywhere near wreckage or coastline. Instead they will keep trying to orientate in some other direction, often causing only the two forward guns to fire at targets.
    5. Vision is granted of sxx icon and model for about 10 seconds just as it is finishing to build, despite there being no unit available to grant said vision. You'll notice it goes back to being a dot straight away after completion, and none of the other orbital units around the sxx were likewise revealed.
      - 22:10
    6. Attack orders given to avengers to specifically target units are frequently 'forgotten' as the target moves away somewhere else, even though vision/radar is not broken.
      - 23:35
    Last edited: January 30, 2015
  13. stuart98

I'll just be that guy and say that this sub balance won't work no matter what you're do because you're approaching them wrong. Change their implementation to being more along the lines of TA and you'll find the naval game will work a lot better.
  14. masterdigital

masterdigital Uber Alumni

I intend to add an improved random generator fairly soon. There will probably be a few options instead of just one button (symmetry, multi-planet, water, super weapon, etc).
  15. DeathByDenim

DeathByDenim Post Master General

Were you reclaiming trees by any chance? That probably doesn't count as producing metal, but you can still spend it. Or maybe it's just broken. :)
  16. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

Was it a team game?
  17. radongog

radongog Well-Known Member

It would have got better ratings...
    ...but I do still believe that we have to blame the reviewers most. (wrong expectations, short reviews, many didn´t even test share army) PA never was a 60ies Title!
    thetrophysystem likes this.
  18. imperatorurist

imperatorurist Member

Reviews these days are out of date given how much games can change over time because of the way the internet allows games to be updated with ease. What really needs to be reviewed is the support the developers are willing to offer their game after the release rather then the state of the game at release.

The game is always going to have flaws though they're getting smaller, still waiting on adjustable hight maps and binding spawns to armies. Be great if the game engine could update the hight map of a planet after a planet hits.
    Tripod27, radongog and Remy561 like this.
  19. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Awesome polish and balance buikd guys!! :D It's really great to have builds like these in between the big features. It makes the game a lot better ^.^
  20. philoscience

philoscience Post Master General

I disagree entirely. Combat fabs cost enough and are squishy enough that there is no problem for them to be building walls. It's an important ability that adds a lot to how you can use them in the field. If anything they still need a slight buff to fabbing range not a nerf. Right now they do a lot for unit diversity but they still need to get a bit too close to the front lines to be effective.