The Eyrie: Volcanic 1v1

Discussion in 'Mapping and stuff' started by silenceoftheclams, January 27, 2015.

1. silenceoftheclams

silenceoftheclams Active Member

Hello folks, another map rolling off the map-making line, and another Westeros-named map (yeah, I know the Eyrie isn't a volcano, but it was just a chance to get this biome in there somewhere and for once it didn't bug out...). Here's the details:

In this close-quarters 1v1 map, commanders must fight to control a long-abandoned Progenitor geothermal lab. While most of the metal is on the low ground, you'd be unwise to neglect the network of volcanic plateaus and bridges that connect the back sides of the opposing bases. Although at such close quarters there's not much that isn't out of range of a well-placed pelter, you'll need to command the air as well as the land, and either way the action is sure to boil over!

EYEBALL POWER:

Have fun! And let me know how you get on...

Attached Files:

2. cdrkf

cdrkf Post Master General

Once you have done your set of westeros maps, will you release as a map pack on pamm?

These are looking superb btw (although for the sake of @colacolin, and chance of a nice r1000 or even r1200 map? :D)
    mishtakashi likes this.
  3. silenceoftheclams

1. I'll give the map pack thing a go. When I get ur done.

2. r1000? Actually, yes. I was planning a couple of larger maps for the Westeros series. Probably not 1200, but 1000 I will try.
    xankar and cdrkf like this.
  4. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Again nice stuff @silenceoftheclams !!!
    I would simply notice that it might be a little bit too small, since as far as i could see, provided you've got Arty T2, then your opponent is 100% sure to be defeated. Seems like anything is in the range of Arty T2.
    Otherwise, very very nice stuff.
    Thank you very much :)
  5. silenceoftheclams

Absolutely. Holkins can fire between the spawns on this map - but I did actually design it that way. This is broadly true of most 1v1 maps, but I thought in a map where you have two big platform bases an artillery duel might be a good way to end the game? If this is both (1) true and (2) not at all fun, I will maybe adjust things slightly.

Also, have you tried putting pelters on the low ground to harass your opponent's base, or placing right next to the central volcano to snipe out an enemy forward radar? That's supposed to be a fun feature of this map...
  6. doud

doud Well-Known Member

Well actually i've played against AI which unfortunately is not really able to perfectly take advantage of the map design.
    When harrassed, I've never seen AI trying to build Arty T2. It keeps sending the same waves of units and does not seem to consider the attempt was a mistake. So i guess i should try to play again a human. Otherwise, the map design is excellent :)
    And i thank you a lot because it really gives another exciting flavour to PA :)
  7. doud

doud Well-Known Member

@silenceoftheclams Ah, i should have been honest and tell you that i was over cheating against AI :p playing with 5x eco against the most powerfull AI. So of course, this was pretty much unfairly imbalanced. So i played using equal ecos, and i was took by AI like a newb. But definitly with tons of fun. So, Yes this planet is one of my favourites.
    Keep doing this awesome stuff :)
  8. silenceoftheclams

Haha you naughty cheater you! But yeah, the AI does ok on this map - I was pretty amazed to see it positioning radars in places that I'd earmarked for radar placement. Whether that's through chance, or because the AI knows to position its radars in places that are both far forward and difficult to shoot, I don't know. But it definitely 'gets' at least some aspects of the map.
    doud likes this.