Build 77337-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 15, 2015.

1. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

Yeah, needs a bit less DPS, right now you can drop them anywhere, rape any air the enemy has, and then GTFO without taking more than a handful of losses. I dropped 50 on an enemy's base, killed everything, and then got out with 6 losses. Right onto a base full of heavy AA and with plenty of fighters.
  2. cwarner7264

cwarner7264 Moderator Alumni

I just recorded and casted a 4v4 between RLM and AC on the current PTE (dem acronyms), will leave it uploading overnight and should be there for analysis in the morning.
  3. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

t2 fighter definitively needs dps decrease .. less rof imo only 2 shots no aoe and beams instead of missiles
    Last edited: January 27, 2015
  4. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

Second impression after running the numbers and some Sandbox testing:

T2 Fighter:

Results against similar metal cost in T1 Fighters are fairly simple. You micro around the T1, you win with few losses. You just barge right in, you lose metal for metal, even trade. DPS needs a decrease at the least.

Anchors vs Avengers:

Wow.

Ok, so building anchors early is really powerful, but they get less and less useful the more fighters then enemy amasses. Essentially, one anchor will murder ten avengers without any issues, but if you get twenty avengers, you lose 6 or so. I went with three clustered anchors vs 60 fighters: Lost twenty fighters and all three anchors.

New fact: Catapults are really good at killing SXX. I've no doubt the bluehawk and Stingray share this capability. Something to keep in mind. FYI, avengers are still pretty bad at killing the SXX.
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

+1 To people saying the T1 and T2 fighters should have different projectile weapons (missiles/lasers/pew pew balls/etc.)

The T2 fighters don't seem to make invading an enemy planet much easier, and I'm concerned they'll just push people into using more Booms and Dox for protection instead of bombers, which will probably cause more pathfinding lag and in general not be an overall positive. Still needs more testing. I am really glad that the T2 fighter in some for has reappeared though :)

EDIT: Also yeah all the tac-missile units are much better at taking out high-HP orbital units than Umbrellas and Avengers are, seems a bit odd.
    warrenkc, mered4, Remy561 and 3 others like this.
  6. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

imo t2 fighters should use missiles and have slightly more dps (maybe 20%) than the t1 - but the t1 would use projectiles. Thus, the missiles would always hit and would have a much higher real dps.
  7. mot9001

mot9001 Well-Known Member

I want to report a bug, i joined a PTE lobby using the stable game because i accepted a gameinvite. I didn't check if it worked because i rather play the game :)
    jtibble likes this.
  8. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

Those new anchors absolutely demolish avengers, atm i think way too easily so, however, if we leave anchors and avengers as they are, and then add a slow, long range orbital unit that kills anchors then i think we have some interesting orbital play on our hands.
    Last edited: January 28, 2015
    mgmetal13 and Zaphys like this.
  9. wondible

wondible Post Master General

77272-pte: change to dox ammo lifetime; I'd guess it's to fix the overshoot issue seen in one of the 2v2 matches.
  10. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I was able to do this last pte and was able to play the game though I was unable to build the t1 air transport though since well I was on the stable...
  11. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

I guess the game should do something like "failed to join game: version mismatch", so you know what's up and you can't join.
    lokiCML likes this.
  12. jtibble

jtibble Active Member

I really like this, because they are very strong... except to bluehawks. 4 hits and they're down, which makes the bluehawk suddenly a very attractive unit again. Just defeated an anchor-creep by sending a few bluehawks slowly towards the anchors, taking them out as we went. Though they are a bit inexpensive for mobile orbital defense!
    wilhelmvx and pieman2906 like this.
  13. Murcanic

Murcanic Well-Known Member

I found it fun that I could just be invited into it xP I kinda wish we had a system like say gmod and tf2 where if you join a server it gets you to download the key elements you are missing to play on said server, then we might see an increase in pte players as it would be a small download of icons and basically a serverside mod for unit stat changes... all you'd need is a build number somewhere saying its a pte lobby or put it in like the current mods have their box saying what is enabled
  14. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

Considering how PA works tech wise I doubt that is feasiable. PTE and stable may have different executable files, with completely different code in PTE or stable. A better way to get more people into PTE would be to create a global place where all online players are gathered and can talk to each other, so the core members of the community can talk randoms into getting PTE and joining PTE games.

The dilemma of "AWSOME PTE, let's play 1vs1 in it .... oh can't find players to play even though there are 700+ players online overall" kinda really makes it REALLY obvious that *something* is missing. I guess that's why I am finding myself to complain about it so much currently: I wanna play PTE, but I can't as much as I want, because it is actually hard to find players to play it with and PA provides no way to find players, since the ladder in PTE obviously is a pretty deserted place.
    Zaphys, Remy561 and badfucatus like this.
  15. elodea

elodea Post Master General

I think we're supposed to use combat fabbers now to do this. But still, they are way too expensive . huge issues with health per sec vs metal build rate.

--
    And yea, t2 fighter is obviously super op. 4x dps per metal. uber probably just quicklky threw something together based on old t2 fighter to test how the orbital mechanic works.

Also, it seems subs are still dominant and worth building over frigates every time. The destroyer buff makes frigates even more silly to build than ever.

t2 sub will now last maybe 4 seconds before dying instead of 3. But i guess it's improvement :)

*Oh yea, and gunboat still needs vision = to atleast 200 now due to new destroyer range. Or atleast > than submarine weapon range. Don't know why we're bothering with move speed first.
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

Question from someone wanting to get into modding, would this also allow creating a smaller unit cannon type building that could only launch within the same gravwell?

Thanks!
  17. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I do like that bluehawks and stingrays can be used to clear orbital, but I'm thinking about what one would do trying to invade a planet that's been locked down by the new anchors. currently, there's not much you can do, Avengers get obliterated by anchors now, which is fine... except that we don't have any orbital units capable of taking on anchors anymore. My preference would be to have some sort of slow, long range cannon or missile ship to take out anchors, (or maybe even allow SXX to fire on them) In any case i think currently, if someone is trying to orbital invade against anchors, it is currently super difficult to do.
  18. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

That's always been possible.
  19. ViolentMind

ViolentMind Active Member

I like the idea of the T2 Fighter making an appearance again, but why create it to counter bomber spam on an enemy planet by travelling through space? Doesn't that also sort of invalidate Orbital Radar? Why not instead just allow fighters to go through a Starga...I mean teleporters? Doesn't that make more sense? Also, this keeps at least some of your air units in play throughout the whole game, instead of just keeping them marooned on one planet for their entire lives.
    Remy561 likes this.
  20. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

Well I think one thing that still bothers me is the actual look of units moving in between gravwells, the animation looks placeholder (the perfect circles, the lines)

It would be pretty awesome to have a realistic orbit pattern and transit pattern instead of the current kind of thing. Units don't have to orbit around the planet they launched from, they can just go in a mostly straight line to a moon/orbiting satellite.
    ace63 and Remy561 like this.