Build 77337-pte now up

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 15, 2015.

1. zweistein000

zweistein000 Post Master General

Thanks, but if I had to go modded I'd go RCBM ;) But currently I only have time to check on the forums. Finals are evil.
  2. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

On unit cannon spread, I would really like to see this connected to area commands. I think there should be a minimal spread, perhaps the current 30, which activates when clicking a single target point and then allow greater distribution if desired. I play a lot of galactic war games and like the thought of firing off 120 t2 bots dispersed over a whole moon.

Of course, I also think that a toned down unit cannon should replace the current orbital launcher. Something like a t1 cannon that will build the t1 orbital and also be able to launch 1 or two t1 fabbers. This would need to be more expensive than the current t1 orbital factory, so I think that the commander should be able to build an astreaus directly at a higher price. I'd still want the t2 unit cannon, but possibly add the ability to fire self constructing laser/AA turrets. Building and launching them would take longer and need to cost more than sending a fabber to build them, and they would need an unpack time so they weren't an insta snipe weapon, just another way to establish a beachhead using orbital.

Of course, I play this game purely for fun, not in ranked or anything like that, so I'm always more concerned about interesting things to do or something that invites alternative build orders. Not so much even aware of ranked play balance, much less feeling that that is where balance should be built for.

The above should be taken only as my personal opinion and may or may not fully reflect the views of the supreme planetary dictator whos every whim must be obeyed lest we are all destroyed :)
  3. Alpha2546

Alpha2546 Post Master General

I like the unit cannon fire spread idea here! It can come in really handy when you're firing boombots with the unit cannon. Though there should be a minimal and max spread ofcource so that the system won't be abused ( firing all over the planet with one unit cannon shouldn't be possible in my opinion.
    Remy561 likes this.
  4. drz1

drz1 Post Master General

New unit, an advanced fighter that can pass between planets say WHHHAATTTTTT?? Great stuff!
    Remy561 likes this.
  5. MadGreyOne

MadGreyOne Member

For simplicity's sake I think one cannon should be able to spread across an entire planet. There are always going to be things that you are able to do that arent a very good idea or player decisions mean very little. It wouldn't be very effective for combat units, but perfect for dispersing fabbers to help avoid the bomber swarm.
  6. stuart98

stuart98 Post Master General

Build notes were updated but Jables never said anything about it for some reason.

No Tom you don't want an interplanetary fighter don't do it Tom don't do it!
    pieman2906 likes this.
  7. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

This is a lie, at least narwahls still seem to do AOE.

EDIT:
    though looking at the definition file I cant see the AOE damage. Weird.
  8. Sorian

Sorian Official PA

For the new advanced fighter I added a new field to the navigation block: "inter_planetary_type". Valid values are: "none", "gravwell", and "system".

This value works for all mobile air and orbital units. So, if you wanted an air or orbital transport that could transport between planets in the same gravwell, you would add "inter_planetary_type" : "gravwell" to the units navigation block.

Have fun modders.
    radongog, lafncow, Quitch and 12 others like this.
  9. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

now i am curious ...
    ... damn it have to go to study in a few hours ;(
  10. mered4

mered4 Post Master General

@tvinita what was your reasoning behind adding in an interplanetary aerospace fighter?

Why not add Frigates, or fix the Avenger's issues? I like the anchor changes on the surface, but I need to test them more.
    Remy561 likes this.
  11. MrTBSC

MrTBSC Post Master General

and what would frigates add exactly?
  12. Remy561

Remy561 Post Master General

Awesome stuff!! :D
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

OP updated with newest build notes.
  14. burntcustard

burntcustard Post Master General

- All torpedoes no longer deal AOE damage

I believe this was added to help prevent naval deathballing, why remove?
    killerkiwijuice likes this.
  15. killerkiwijuice

killerkiwijuice Post Master General

And also dox traveling right under naval units with minimal losses
  16. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

because it is completely stupid how submarines get killed in dozens just because they decide to stack up. A better fix would be to disallow them to stack, but I guess that isn't as easy to do.
    elodea likes this.
  17. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

PTE was always going to me a mishmash of ideas and attempts.

As to why im going to sit these balance discussions out, not much I could do anyway.....hell not much I could do before hand either..
  18. tvinita

tvinita Uber Employee

The primary purpose of torpedo AOE was to make naval deal with dox swarms more effectively. Now that there's more torpedoes in play it isn't as necessary, so I want to see what changes when there's more torpedoes in play without the AOE.

This is subject to change based on how it ends up playing, though. So keep playing PTE and let me know what you think!
    Remy561, proeleert, Quitch and 5 others like this.
  19. pieman2906

pieman2906 Well-Known Member

I've also noticed that naval units are a bit janky with pathing, but particularly with area patrol.

Usually i want to get some scouts out and chuck them on a planet-wide patrol right at the start, but gunboats seize up and don't know what to do when you give them a planet-wide patrol.
  20. nixtempestas

nixtempestas Post Master General

new anchors seem nice, further testing required.

haven't had a chance to play with the phoenix yet.

setting the AI to absurd and throwing them on a max metal metal planet is... unpleasant