Upcoming work update!

Discussion in 'Planetary Annihilation General Discussion' started by jables, January 22, 2015.

1. igncom1

igncom1 Post Master General

The you get a situation where the subs surface and get destroyed instantly by the very stuff they are supposed to counter.

So they would be pointless.
  2. cola_colin

cola_colin Moderator Alumni

But they are not supposed to counter normal ships while surfaced? An AA submarine might not be meant to counter ships at all.
    MrTBSC likes this.
  3. igncom1

Not ships, planes and anchors.

Something with such little HP would be killed before they can even kill what they counter.
  4. cola_colin

Then give such a specialized submarine more hp then usual or similar.
    That's just like saying that aa vehicles die rather quickly to bombers. Well yes they do. But they still work.
  5. igncom1

Well, not really, and then, giving the sub more HP just makes it better against surface ships from before, but with the ability to become invulnerable to everything but torpedos and detection types other then sonar....I mean submerge compared to the AA frigate that is also terrible with it's AA.

Only fighters and flak are actually decent AA in PA, all of the missile AA types are terrible unless in mass.
  6. cola_colin

You invent issues. As an example I suggest: "Make a submarine that is meant as a stealthy aa support ship. Typical usage is suddenly submerging to surprise air that is attacking seemingly aa-less ships."

To fulfill that role the submarine in question would be able to quickly surface. It would have enough hp to withstand a few bomb hits. Probably does not even need that much hp, as it is not meant to work alone.
    It would need a powerful AA gun. Powerful like a flak cannon.
    It would have no other weapons.

There you go.
  7. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

deck guns could shoot hovers
    the ONLY reason why subs had deck guns was probably because they decided to include hover engineers
  8. kayonsmit101

kayonsmit101 Active Member

Submarines! :)
    igncom1 and gmase like this.
  9. crizmess

crizmess Well-Known Member

sigmud2 likes this.
  10. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

I'm deeply excited for these features!

But I can't unleash the excitement now... I must save it for when the stuff arrives.

(man, the puns are real)
  11. theseeker2

theseeker2 Well-Known Member

ftfy
  12. jables

jables Uber Employee

I'll get @tvinita to comment on this a bit later today with his thoughts on how subs fit in current game balance. Things have changed since Alpha a lot, so expect them to play/function differently :)
    Remy561 and drz1 like this.
  13. jables

jables Uber Employee

Doesn't really fit the art style of PA :( Supcom had the units blow up into pieces and bounce around, here we blow things up with the explosions and smoke being the visual. I doubt that gets changed :(
    Remy561 and drz1 like this.
  14. cola_colin

As long as you will add wrecks again I don't mind.
  15. thelordofthenoobs

thelordofthenoobs Well-Known Member

I am pleased to see that piece after piece, you add all of the features I am missing even after the game has been released for such a relatively long time.

I simply hope that you are still making enough money off it to support further development (of PA and future titles).
    Remy561 likes this.
  16. stonewood1612

stonewood1612 Well-Known Member

Ah that was the word I was looking for... just couldn't come up with it. Well that sentence already has a smaller pun that might not be too noticeable...
  17. emraldis

emraldis Post Master General

I just want to point out that in the current PTE the "water height" slider has been replaced with "water coverage" and "water depth". For all those who worry about subs.
    ArchieBuld, squishypon3 and cdrkf like this.
  18. c4ptainpronin

c4ptainpronin Active Member

Well they dont have to fall to pieces, but a "water" explosion around the ship in addition to the explosion of the projectile and the death of the unit.

Something along those lines, just appropriatly scaled.
  19. wpmarshall

wpmarshall Planetary Moderator

I took the liberty, I hope you don't mind ;) <3

*points to profile pic*
  20. ace63

ace63 Post Master General

Wha? I thought the big plan was to eventually readd wreckage? You know one of the things that makes the game unique and more interesting.
    We were even told that sinking ships was planned in one of the later livestreams...